Post your stereo system!

Comments

• May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    steinba said:
    This might be slightly/completely off topic, but anyway... It's sort of a gearhead topic too, even if it's not about guitars or drumheads. :) With all the vinyl collectors and music lovers on the board, there has to be some cool stereo setups around. Let's see 'em! It'll be fun. I'll start: image
    Nice Steven Wilson vinyl.  I'm seeing him in Calgary in a couple of weeks.  Excited for the show!
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    I just purchased from Music Direct a scratch/dent Music Hall 2.2 MMF for $250.  I've been using my old Music Hall 2.2 since 2008.  I had them put on the new Mo-Fi studio tracker cartridge.  Can't wait to hear how it sounds!!!
    Here's the new set-up:

Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Nice looking setup! 
    Little known fact (according to my local guy), Music Hall and Pro-Ject's are made in the same factory.  You can see how similar that MMF is to the Carbon Debut.  In fact, that tonearm looks like a pro-ject.  Good deal you got!  I hope it sounds great with that cart.  
    edited November 2018
    mrussel1 said:
    Nice looking setup! 
    Little known fact (according to my local guy), Music Hall and Pro-Ject's are made in the same factory.  You can see how similar that MMF is to the Carbon Debut.  In fact, that tonearm looks like a pro-ject.  Good deal you got!  I hope it sounds great with that cart.  
    Yes, Music Hall uses Pro-Ject's tone-arms, it's written on the side of the arm.  I've only listened to Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms, Mobile FIdelity 45 rpm version. Sounds fantastic!  But, you have to realize, I was using my old Music Hall Tracker cartridge. (it was about 4 years old)  So, almost anything would be an improvement.  I've read some pretty good reviews about the Mo-Fi Studio Tracker cartridge.  It was right in my budget.  I will let this break in over the weekend and report back.  I immediately noticed that I had to adjust my tone controls back to zero.  Now, I need to update my cartridge for my Pioneer PL-570. I was thinking of this:

Post edited by BIGDaddyWil on
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Nice pick. I have been very pleased with A-T carts. In fact, they are all I have left after buying and trying a bunch of various makes and models over the years.

Should be a good match for your Pioneer.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    The Mo Fi Studio tracker cartridge is pretty sweet!!! I've put about 15-20 hours on it.  Great soundstage, with plenty of bass.  It definitely pulls more sound out of my records.  The new J. Mascis record sounds fantastic with this set-up.  Here are some other records I've listened to: John Coltrane - Blue Train (Analog Productions) Dire Straits - Brother In Arms (Mo-Fi pressing) The Beatles (most of the mono boxset) The Magpie Salute - High Water I , The Police - Synchronicity (the purple looking vinyl) also the new Smashing Pumpkins.  I almost forgot, Steely Dan - Aja (ABC pressing)
    A great cartridge, that tracks well! Highly recommended!
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    #nerdalert
    www.cluthelee.com
    The Mo Fi Studio tracker cartridge is pretty sweet!!! I've put about 15-20 hours on it.  Great soundstage, with plenty of bass.  It definitely pulls more sound out of my records.  The new J. Mascis record sounds fantastic with this set-up.  Here are some other records I've listened to: John Coltrane - Blue Train (Analog Productions) Dire Straits - Brother In Arms (Mo-Fi pressing) The Beatles (most of the mono boxset) The Magpie Salute - High Water I , The Police - Synchronicity (the purple looking vinyl) also the new Smashing Pumpkins.  I almost forgot, Steely Dan - Aja (ABC pressing)
    A great cartridge, that tracks well! Highly recommended!
    I have several of those Pressings, they are all tremendous.  My favorite is my original AB 1060 of Aja. It is the perfect record for vinyl. 
    mrussel1 said:

So after a month or whatever of listening to this, I'm still very pleased with it.  Here are my observations, for those that care about such things.  
    1. It's definitely not as detailed as my Yamaha or my Outlaw amp that I was using for the last several years.  That said, it is very smooth and really shines on vinyl.  I had my squeezebox DAC hooked up to it for a while and while that also sounds good, you could definitely tell the difference in the sources.  And I only play Flac and flahd files.  
    2. I was losing the left channel once in a great while but I followed the chain and isolated the issue to the tape switch.  I ended up giving it a full deoxit 5 and gold treatment on all of the pots and so far so good.  That stuff is really tremendous. 
    3. Although I'm using full range B&W speakers, for shits and giggles I hooked up my 12" powered sub to the B speakers.. WHOA!  It really filled out the sound!  Massive difference.  I never used the sub for my Yamaha because I could only listen on pure mode, which kills everything but the 2 channels.  This is definitely the way to go.  
    4. I found the perfect solution to having two amps drive one pair of speakers.  I needed this because I still watch movies or play the PS4 with Yamaha AVR, but wanted all music to flow through this Pioneer.  The solution is this beautiful, handy amp selector.  It's made by Beresford which is a well known English maker of switches and selectors.  This thing is a rock and there is no bleed through or loss of fidelity.  For those looking to add a second amp, this is a great little tool   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LNOAGZQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IN all, very pleased with the Pioneer.  It's smooth as silk and now I'm on a vinyl rampage.  

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

So after a month or whatever of listening to this, I'm still very pleased with it.  Here are my observations, for those that care about such things.  
    1. It's definitely not as detailed as my Yamaha or my Outlaw amp that I was using for the last several years.  That said, it is very smooth and really shines on vinyl.  I had my squeezebox DAC hooked up to it for a while and while that also sounds good, you could definitely tell the difference in the sources.  And I only play Flac and flahd files.  
    2. I was losing the left channel once in a great while but I followed the chain and isolated the issue to the tape switch.  I ended up giving it a full deoxit 5 and gold treatment on all of the pots and so far so good.  That stuff is really tremendous. 
    3. Although I'm using full range B&W speakers, for shits and giggles I hooked up my 12" powered sub to the B speakers.. WHOA!  It really filled out the sound!  Massive difference.  I never used the sub for my Yamaha because I could only listen on pure mode, which kills everything but the 2 channels.  This is definitely the way to go.  
    4. I found the perfect solution to having two amps drive one pair of speakers.  I needed this because I still watch movies or play the PS4 with Yamaha AVR, but wanted all music to flow through this Pioneer.  The solution is this beautiful, handy amp selector.  It's made by Beresford which is a well known English maker of switches and selectors.  This thing is a rock and there is no bleed through or loss of fidelity.  For those looking to add a second amp, this is a great little tool   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LNOAGZQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IN all, very pleased with the Pioneer.  It's smooth as silk and now I'm on a vinyl rampage.  

Very nice, SIR

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Great to hear and thanks for the follow up. I was wondering how you were getting along with the Pioneer.

The difference in detail between the Yammy and Pioneer you mention is interesting. I  have similar observations between my Yamaha AVR and my vintage Marantz receivers. My vintage, 2-channel system just sounds right to me. My modern set-up is clinical and sterile by comparison.

I'm also running a sub with the Marantz rig. Incredible experience, especially when you factor in the cost to performance/enjoyment ratio.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Great to hear! Another satisfied vintage Pioneer customer! Love it!
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    edited December 2018
    Post edited by BIGDaddyWil on
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    That is a great deal.  Is music direct a good seller?
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Great to hear and thanks for the follow up. I was wondering how you were getting along with the Pioneer.

The difference in detail between the Yammy and Pioneer you mention is interesting. I  have similar observations between my Yamaha AVR and my vintage Marantz receivers. My vintage, 2-channel system just sounds right to me. My modern set-up is clinical and sterile by comparison.

I'm also running a sub with the Marantz rig. Incredible experience, especially when you factor in the cost to performance/enjoyment ratio.
    Definitely incredible.  Now I need to get a new DAC so I can stream some music to the Pioneer.  I've narrowed it down to the Bluenote 2i and the new Yamaha streamer with the Burr-Brown.  I thought about doing a laptop direct to a DAC, but having a laptop with an external drive next to your rig looks ugly.  
    edited December 2018
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Definitely incredible.  Now I need to get a new DAC so I can stream some music to the Pioneer.  I've narrowed it down to the Bluenote 2i and the new Yamaha streamer with the Burr-Brown.  I thought about doing a laptop direct to a DAC, but having a laptop with an external drive next to your rig looks ugly.  
    I haven't made the leap to streaming at home so I won't presume to offer opinions on DACs. They are all over the place cost-wise! 

Do you think spending a lot on a unit with a super high S/N ratio and other impressive specs would be worthwhile compared to one near the middle of the pack?

It's my understanding that nearly all of them should outperform a typical CD player.

Is that accurate or am I way off?
    Post edited by dudeman on
    mrussel1 said:
    Absolutely!!!! Very knowledgeable people, they will answer any questions you have. Fast shipping and well packaged. Highly recommended!
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    mrussel1 said:
    Absolutely!!!! Very knowledgeable people, they will answer any questions you have. Fast shipping and well packaged. Highly recommended!
    Thanks.  I have a buddy that is ready to spring for a Project Debut Carbon, but this is the same thing for much less.  
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I haven't made the leap to streaming at home so I won't presume to offer opinions on DACs. They are all over the place cost-wise! 

Do you think spending a lot on a unit with a super high S/N ratio and other impressive specs would be worthwhile compared to one near the middle of the pack?

It's my understanding that nearly all of them should outperform a typical CD player.

Is that accurate or am I way off?
    No, I don't generally believe in buying extremely high end equipment (although some day I will own a McIntosh integrated).  I think it's like everything else, it's only as good as the weak link in your chain.  In my case, the Pioneer stereo is probably the weakest link, but I love the way it sounds so that's fine.  I absolutely think there is a big difference between a bad dac and a medium one, considering the rest of my equipment.  But then you quickly get into the law of diminishing returns.  What I really like about these two is that they both support 24/192 and higher resolution.  I have a fair amount of audio that reaches that point.  Second, they both support MAQ.  Because I'm in the JW Vault package, I get Tidal for $5 a month, so I want to take advantage of the MAQ format because I hear it's spectacular.  

As far as the cd question, I think it's hard to say.  If you have an Oppo or something high end like that, it will sound much better than a dinky Chrome audio cast.  But a cd is only 16/44 as it's best.  So in theory, a good cd player will be the same as a ripped cd on a solid DAC, but who knows for sure.  I put away my cd years ago and don't even own a working player (other than a blu ray).  But I have 2 TB of audio, all in FLAC that I listen to all the time.  So investing in a streamer with a solid DAC is a no brainer for me.  
    Do any of you use attenuators on your RCAs to lower the signal from more modern peripherals (DACs, phono amps, cd players, etc.) into your vintage equipment.  My new worry is that the new equipment sends far more mv in power than what the 70's amps were designed to receive.  
    mrussel1 said:
    Do any of you use attenuators on your RCAs to lower the signal from more modern peripherals (DACs, phono amps, cd players, etc.) into your vintage equipment.  My new worry is that the new equipment sends far more mv in power than what the 70's amps were designed to receive.  

I do not but that is a good theory.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

lolobugg said:
    mrussel1 said:

I do not but that is a good theory.
    I don't think it's very dangerous for the amp, to be clear.  But I think you might lose some detail and ability to control the volume with the hot feed.  It would probably clip much earlier too.  I noticed on my Squeezebox DAC how loud it was when I connected it.  I can't get the dial past, probably 7 or 8 without it being very loud.  And the headphone jack, which has its own amp is ear-bleeding loud.  I think I'm going to try some -12 db to mellow it out.  
    mrussel1 said:
    Nope. But it might be a good idea.   I use a variac or variable transformer.  I plug my vintage receiver into the variac, the variac lets you control the voltage into the receiver.  My tech guy recommended it. I usually run my receiver at 116-118 volts.  This helps helps the receiver from running to hot, thus it will last longer.  It does not affect the sound. here it a photo of one similar to mine.....

10-16-2014 Detroit
    mrussel1 said:
    Nope. But it might be a good idea.   I use a variac or variable transformer.  I plug my vintage receiver into the variac, the variac lets you control the voltage into the receiver.  My tech guy recommended it. I usually run my receiver at 116-118 volts.  This helps helps the receiver from running to hot, thus it will last longer.  It does not affect the sound. here it a photo of one similar to mine.....

That's a monster!  So this controls the outlet voltage into the receiver, right?  Do you have anything that controls the peripherals?  I actually wasn't worried about the 110 line, but now I am! 

I ordered some -12 db attenuators for my phono amp too.  I was using an Emotiva XPS-1 which was clean, open and beautiful.  But when I plugged it into the PIoneer, it was bright and fatiguing at moderate volumes, so I've been using the built in stage which is nice, but definitely a tad 'veiled'.  My guess is the attenuators will calm down the Emotiva.  We shall see.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That's a monster!  So this controls the outlet voltage into the receiver, right?  Do you have anything that controls the peripherals?  I actually wasn't worried about the 110 line, but now I am! 

I ordered some -12 db attenuators for my phono amp too.  I was using an Emotiva XPS-1 which was clean, open and beautiful.  But when I plugged it into the PIoneer, it was bright and fatiguing at moderate volumes, so I've been using the built in stage which is nice, but definitely a tad 'veiled'.  My guess is the attenuators will calm down the Emotiva.  We shall see.  
    Correct!  It controls the voltage to the receiver.  It's not mandatory, it helps the electronics last longer.  I do not have anything to control the peripherals.  My whole system is Pioneer equipment from 1976-1978.  So everything plays nicely.
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited December 2018
    Question!

I see a lot Audio Technica advertised and I really don't know what brands are good or not. I have a very very low budget - I just want to be able to play my records and am not, at this time, looking to build an audiophile's wonderland. 

So I have two record players that are somewhat affordable - and I'm not sure what else I would have to purchase in order to make the 'records play'.

Anyway - 

Audio-Technica AT-LP60BK Fully Automatic Belt-Drive Stereo Turntable, Black 89.00

https://smile.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60BK-Automatic-Belt-Drive-Turntable/dp/B008872SIO/ref=pd_ybh_a_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5TXC3S61HEV936A4YFEV
    or

Wrcibo Record Player, Vintage Turntable 3-Speed Belt Drive Vinyl Player LP Record Player with Built-in Stereo Speaker, Aux-in, Headphone Jack, and RCA Output, Natural Wood  69.00

Post edited by njnancy on
    Audio-Technica for sure if it's between those two.

Do you have a record store in your area? Many of them have used turntables that have been serviced and tested. Some will have a warranty. 

Pretty high bang for the buck going used.

Good luck!
    dudeman said:
    Audio-Technica for sure if it's between those two.

Do you have a record store in your area? Many of them have used turntables that have been serviced and tested. Some will have a warranty. 

Pretty high bang for the buck going used.

Good luck!

I recommend this method as well. you can get excellent vintage equipment for good value !

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    I do have a record store in town that has been here since I was in high school. Never noticed if they sold record players but I  will check it out - thanks for the advice guys. I'll let you know how I make out. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Correct!  It controls the voltage to the receiver.  It's not mandatory, it helps the electronics last longer.  I do not have anything to control the peripherals.  My whole system is Pioneer equipment from 1976-1978.  So everything plays nicely.
    I got a pair of Harrison Labs -12 db attenuators in the mail yesterday.  Hooked them up to my Emotiva pre-amp and it has made a world of difference.  The brightness has receded, the listening fatigue is gone and the volume dial is less sensitive.  I can easily get it to 9 o'clock and beyond without it making my ears bleed.  Also, because it is tamer, the extension at the high and low ranges seems better as well.  If one is using a vintage amp with more modern peripherals, you should look into these.  You may not even know that your system needs to be tamed until you do it.