Lost Dogs 2 , is it a possibility?

just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,905
Hearing Lost Dogs right now and it got me thinking , will we ever see a new album of b-sides?

Does the band even have enough material to do another double album of B-Sides? to this day this album still amazes me , i wish many bands out there would have A-Sides (?) with the quality of these B-sides lol

Comments

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I'm sure that they have plenty of material for another Lost Dogs. LD is one of my favorites, probably because I haven't heard it played to death everywhere. I would be very pleased if they did a B-sides release again.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    It has to be possible!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,022
    If we're strictly talking b-sides, then Lost Dogs 2 would be quite a thin release.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    No way. Total record company obligation. How many of those songs did we already have?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mrk2 said:

If we're strictly talking b-sides, then Lost Dogs 2 would be quite a thin release.

well yeah, we haven't had a proper one since 2003. but I'm guessing the OP is just talking "previously unreleased material".

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

No way. Total record company obligation. How many of those songs did we already have?

what I didn't already have would have filled at least one cd. it was awesome for me! I'd love another "one of these things is not like the other" releases.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    I sure hope so. They for sure have enough unreleased material. I would love to see some of the more experimental stuff they've done see a proper release. Experimental PJ = some of my favorite music ever.
  • BeetJuiceBeetJuice Posts: 61
    This would be awesome. I think the only Riot Act session material on Lost Dogs is the hidden track after Bee Girl.
    So Lost Dogs 2: Revenge of the Lost Dogs, could include Riot Act outakes as well.

Sweet! lets keep this thread going

Double Bump!
    "Don't Gimmie No Lip, You've Got To Face This Shit"
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Lost Dogs has the Riot Act era b-sides...Down and Undone

They probably have enough material to fill LD2.0, but it's all stuff we already have. I don't think they have much leftover material from the last decade for more and I don't need a bunch of demo's and rough sketches to fill out the album.
  • BeetJuiceBeetJuice Posts: 61
    DewieCox said:

They probably have enough material to fill LD2.0, but it's all stuff we already have. I don't think they have much leftover material from the last decade for more and I don't need a bunch of demo's and rough sketches to fill out the album.

Yes... right you are!
    "Don't Gimmie No Lip, You've Got To Face This Shit"
  • wgwg Posts: 411
    DewieCox said:

I love demos and rough sketches. That stuff is my favorite. It's like Picasso's Guernica. I saw it in Madrid and it was jaw dropping. The tour guide talked about it for thirty minutes before moving on, walking through a hall with all the sketches leading up to Guernica on napkins with coffee stains and scribbles and the same thing over and over. It was amazing and tour guide didn't even mention it. I said fuck that, and stared at those napkins for about an hour.

Same with the Beatles anthologies. Hearing how those songs we all know and love and heard countless times before in such a raw, vulnerable state is powerful. The evolution of Strawberry Fields is amazing! Wilco' Alpha Mike Foxtrot is fantastic too. If PJ did something like that, I would shit my pants.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    I would assume so. What was the last album that had b-sides? Riot Act? That's several albums now where they haven't released the non album tracks. I imagine they're piling up in a vault somewhere.

Not to mention there's still left over studio tracks from the pre riot act era. Com'on studio Baba :)
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    what do we know of?

Ole?
    Crapshoot?
    Of the Earth?
    DewieCox said:

I'm sure they have TONNES of material from the last 12 years that is finished but hasn't seen the light of day. whether they want those tracks released is a different story. I hear people saying the contrary, that half of Lightning Bolt was leftover Backspacer stuff that went unused. Is this just assumed, or did a band member say this somewhere?

the thing about b sides.........there's no point in releasing b sides with singles anymore. nobody buys the singles to begin with. unless you want the $0.08 you get from iTunes on the sale of a digital track. the band would be better off releasing their unreleased stuff on their own and make 100% off the sale, instead of 8%, or whatever the actual figure is.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• TauranTauran Posts: 89
    They definitely have enough to make another B-Sides record, but based off what we know about, it might be a single disc.

Pre-Lost Dogs stuff that comes to mind includes:

Leatherman
    Olympic Platinum
    Happy When I'm Crying
    Angel
    I know they aren't always songs, but scrape the bottom of the barrel and put Ramblings 1, 2, and 3 on there

Then after Lost Dogs:
    Ole
    Of The Earth (if there is a studio version)
    I'm Still Here (spoken word)

They could also just include a second disc of instrumentals. The two instrumentals from Touring Band 2000 (Foldback and Harmony) are good, well conceived tracks. Alternatively, they could have a second disc of songs that only were ever recorded live and might not have seen the studio, things like Untitled or Out of My Mind.
    Cleveland '03 -Columbus '03 -Toledo '04 -Cleveland '06 -Pittsburgh '06 -Cincinnati '06 - Chicago '07 - Columbus '10 - Cleveland '10 - Pittsburgh '13 - Cincinnati '14 - Detroit '14 - Lexington '16 - Wrigley '16 - Wrigley '18
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    MayDay10 said:

what do we know of?

Ole?
    Crapshoot?
    Of the Earth?

alot more than that!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883

DewieCox said:

I'm sure they have TONNES of material from the last 12 years that is finished but hasn't seen the light of day. whether they want those tracks released is a different story. I hear people saying the contrary, that half of Lightning Bolt was leftover Backspacer stuff that went unused. Is this just assumed, or did a band member say this somewhere?

the thing about b sides.........there's no point in releasing b sides with singles anymore. nobody buys the singles to begin with. unless you want the $0.08 you get from iTunes on the sale of a digital track. the band would be better off releasing their unreleased stuff on their own and make 100% off the sale, instead of 8%, or whatever the actual figure is.

pretty sure it was brought up by the band the Pendulum was a Backspacer song that did not make that album- not sure on the others.

A thought a few years ago the band, or Brendan, or even Kelly Curtis said they said they did not have enough fully finished songs for another B-sides. That may have changed by now.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...

DewieCox said:

pretty sure it was brought up by the band the Pendulum was a Backspacer song that did not make that album- not sure on the others.

A thought a few years ago the band, or Brendan, or even Kelly Curtis said they said they did not have enough fully finished songs for another B-sides. That may have changed by now.
    BOOOO. just release an EP then! with those avocado unreleased tracks, Baba studio, Of The Earth studio, and I'm sure they have a few more.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• jrock60jrock60 Posts: 76
    I'd be into an album of all the Christmas singles, surprised it doesn't exist yet.
    I'll ride the wave...
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I'm talking full finished songs. With the sporadic effort they've put into their albums, I just can't believe that they have full songs that need minimal music added sitting in the vault. Something would've shown up as a b-side or on a soundtrack or compilation. There are enough songs from the pre-LD time to fill up another disc or two, but we've got that stuff.

I don't mind the rough drafts and that kinda stuff, but that's different to me than a Lost Dogs type release. I'd snag a demos collection, but it has to be true building blocks type stuff. Like the stuff the Beatles put out with Anthology or the stuff that Floyd put out with their reissues a few years ago. I don't want stuff that slightly less finished versions of the studio tracks. I love Zeppelin's new reissue, but they could improve a lot on the bonus material they've included. Some cool stuff buttery hit or miss for my taste.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    If they cleaned up some unfinished stuff to make it finished, then bet they have more than enough for an LD2. I just assume they have stuff that none of us have ever heard. I would want that stuff to go on it! I want the shit they thought was too weird and experimental for the public. Would be amazing. Call it Lost Mad Dogs. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    PJ_Soul said:

If they cleaned up some unfinished stuff to make it finished, then bet they have more than enough for an LD2. I just assume they have stuff that none of us have ever heard. I would want that stuff to go on it! I want the shit they thought was too weird and experimental for the public. Would be amazing. Call it Lost Mad Dogs. :)

Agreed. The band has mentioned (Mike mostly if I recall correctly) that they had a pretty decent amount of songs that didn't make Avocado, Backspacer and LB. Not sure how "finished" they are but I imagine they have enough to release something.
    I believe they did a decent amount of re-recording for Lost Dogs as well, so doing that for a second release isn't out of the question.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Someone compiled this list several years ago for a second LD:

-Angel
    -Face Of Love
    -Leatherman
    - Man of the Hour (demo)
    - Speed of Sound (demo)
    - Cold Concession (ST sessions)
    - 2x4 (ST sessions)
    - Let it Ride (ST sessions)
    - Chinese (demo)
    - Wishing well
    - Ole
    - Hide Your Love Away
    - Crazy Mary
    - I've Got A Feeling
    - Leatherman II
    - Lukin (slow version, with strings, with a whole orchestra - punk meets classic)
    - Of the Earth (ST sessions)
    - Santa Cruz
    - Santa God
    - Don't Believe in Christmas
    - Sonic Reducer
    - Someday at Christmas (for they included some christmas singles on the first Lost Dogs)
    - Against the Seventies
    - No More
    - Golden State
    - I'm Still Here
    - Last Soldier (studio version)
    - Life at the Point of Now (ST sessions)
    - Transcendental Mental Clarity
    - Catholic Boys
    - Wishing Well (demo)
    - Sunburn (demo)
    - Outta My Mind (b-side)
    - Happy When Im Crying (xmas single 1997)
    - Fuck Me In The Brain (xmas single 1993)
    - Olympic Platinum (xmas single 1996)
    - Anything in Between (with lyrics)

Unconfirmed:

Set Me Up (Knock Me Down) (No Code out take, 1996)
    Linedraw (No Code out take, 1996)
    Xer (Yield out take, 1997)
    Straight and Narrow (Ten Out take, 1990)
    Cigarette Songs (Backspacer outtakes)
    Change (inside Lost Dogs (1) booklet)
    No Losing (inside Lost Dogs (1) booklet)
    Your Face (inside Lost Dogs (1) booklet)
    Fallen (inside Lost Dogs (1) booklet)
    The Little Word (inside Lost Dogs (1) booklet)
    The Big Word (inside Lost Dogs (1) booklet)
    April Bear (Riot Act sessions)
    Backfire (Riot Act sessions)
    Better Days (Riot Act sessions - supposedly different than the Ed Vedder solo song)
    Code Red (Riot Act sessions)
    Don't Follow (Riot Act sessions)
    Faster (Riot Act sessions)
    Had Enough (Riot Act sessions)
    Islands (Riot Act sessions - quite curious about this one)
    It's Too Late (Riot Act sessions)
    Keep Goin' (Ten sessions)
    Levels (Riot Act sessions)
    Meteorologist (Riot Act sessions)
    No Good Reason (Riot Act sessions)
    Searchlight (Riot Act sessions)
    Spin Cycle (Riot Act sessions)
    I Won't (mentioned)
    To Our Home (ST-session)
    Dawn (McCready) (ST-session)
    Echoes (Vedder/Gossard/McCready/Ament/Cameron) (ST-session)
    Alarms Of Nautical (Gossard) (ST-session)
    The Streets (Vedder) (ST-session)
    Thank you (ST-sessions)
    Run for it, Marty.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2015
    I would have no interest in seeing any Xmas singles on an album again. More than a couple of covers would also be a bit of a waste IMO, but i would flip out of they did release a complete version of Catholic Boy!!!!!!
    I would like to hear them make Altar into something too.... there are several improvs they could build into full songs I bet.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    if it was up to me, I would agree with PJSoul. no more previously released (on vinyl or any other format) songs. and there is no chance in hell they would ever release Angel again. and no vocal-less demos. Brother without vocals was a waste for me.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,203
    I could only pray to god that they release LD2.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

if it was up to me, I would agree with PJSoul. no more previously released (on vinyl or any other format) songs. and there is no chance in hell they would ever release Angel again. and no vocal-less demos. Brother without vocals was a waste for me.

100% agree. And please just let Ed sing! No lead vocals by stone, Jeff or matt.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    Is it a possibility....I say no.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
    I came across an old interview with Mike before the release of Lost Dogs.

https://web.archive.org/web/20050317133911/http://www.billboard.com/bb/specialreport/pearl_jam/pg1.jsp

when Brendan has stated that the band basically has nothing left to release, this quote from Mike suggests otherwise:

"This is a good compilation of all the rarities," he adds, "but we have vaults and vaults of this stuff."
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD