Options

Update on Steve Gleason from his brother Michael

hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864

THE GLEASON INITIATIVE FOUNDATION

Steve Celebrated his 38th Birthday with Saints Defensive Coordinator Rob Ryan

Steve's Tiki Inspired Birthday Cake by Zoe's Bakery Steve Gleason just celebrated his 38th birthday a few weeks ago.

In January of 2011, Steve was told he had just 2-5 years left to live. Four years later, we are proud to say that Steve continues to defy those odds, living life to the fullest degree possible and serving as a beacon to thousands of ALS patients and their loved ones everyday. Steve is a lucky patient with ALS - as lucky as one can be with a neuromuscular disease. He is surrounded by a loving family and supportive friends. Through your generous support, he has access to the resources to provide the necessary level of care for assisted breathing patients. And - possibly most importantly - he has access to the technology that allows him to communicate with his family, interact with the outside world, and advocate for a cure for ALS. But not all ALS patients are like Steve. Many lack the resources needed for the life- changing technology and equipment necessary to continue to lead a purposeful and productive life. That’s where Team Gleason comes in. It is our mission and goal to provide all ALS patients with access to technology that will allow them to live their best lives, such as the eye-gaze technology that allows people living with ALS to “speak” and communicate both in-person and online. More than anything, Steve wants all ALS patients to have the same opportunity that he has been granted - the ability to remain as engaged, active, and independent as possible, and to find hope in a “hopeless” diagnosis.
Recently, we received this note from a patient benefitting from a technology gift from Team Gleason: “Simply put: the availability of this state of the art technology has given my 44-year old big brother Matthew back his will to live. For this, my family cannot thank you enough.”
Team Gleason needs your help to continue this work. In honor of Steve’s Big Day, please consider a gift to Team Gleason. This support will not only help us meet our mission, but will also help the many patients we serve to continue to lead a purposeful life. Your donation could also quite literally mean the difference between life and death.

Thank you for helping Team Gleason give ALS patients reasons to CELEBRATE LIFE!
No White Flags!

If you would like to donate: http://www.teamgleason.org/donate/

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    BIG BUMP HERE. #nowhiteflags
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 392
    Awesome
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    ALS is personal to me. We lost my Dad way too soon because of this horrible disease. My Dad was diagnosed & passed away within 5 months after a hard & brutal fight. Steve carries himself the same way that my Dad did--he fights every single day.

The work that he & the rest of Team Gleason (along with the ALS Association) have done is absolutely groundbreaking. New legislature has been passed due to their efforts & the research continues with every cent that is donated. To those that donate, thank you.

I'd like to personally thank Steve on behalf of my Dad, our family & everyone that has been affected by this terrible disease.

Take your time today to hug those you love & live life to the fullest just like he does every single day.

Matt
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    mfc2006 said:

ALS is personal to me. We lost my Dad way too soon because of this horrible disease. My Dad was diagnosed & passed away within 5 months after a hard & brutal fight. Steve carries himself the same way that my Dad did--he fights every single day.

The work that he & the rest of Team Gleason (along with the ALS Association) have done is absolutely groundbreaking. New legislature has been passed due to their efforts & the research continues with every cent that is donated. To those that donate, thank you.

I'd like to personally thank Steve on behalf of my Dad, our family & everyone that has been affected by this terrible disease.

Take your time today to hug those you love & live life to the fullest just like he does every single day.

Matt

Thanks for sharing and {{{HUGS}}} to you Matt...and Happy Birthday Steve!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

mfc2006 said:

Matt

Thanks for sharing and {{{HUGS}}} to you Matt...and Happy Birthday Steve!

Thanks, Lisa!

#nowhiteflags
    #strikeoutALS
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    BUMP
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    The ice bucket challenge was a blast this last summer, glad he was on that video interviewing the guys, it was good for awareness!
  • Options
    hrd2imgn said:

The ice bucket challenge was a blast this last summer, glad he was on that video interviewing the guys, it was good for awareness!

Yup, that was great!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    Michel is his wife

Happy Birthday Steve!

#NOWHITEFLAGS
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Steve!