Options

Looking for a great turntable for a great price???

slinger256slinger256 Victoria Posts: 371
edited April 2015 in The Porch
I'm sure this is the wrong forum but it's the most traveled......

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/pro-ject-debut-carbon

Edit: appears link only works for some, Google "massdrop pro-ject debut" and it will for some reason work
Post edited by slinger256 on

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,722

I still have one of these. They're gr-r-reat!
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Loving the disneyland vinyl. Maybe next RSD I will get lucky and score a re-release of that one.

I have heard many times those project carbons have issues with the motor speeding up and down enough that you can pick it up audibly. Those were the version they did the kickstarter for so hopefully it is fixed by now.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    slinger256slinger256 Victoria Posts: 371
    I never had any issues with my unit however for convenience I did add the speed box to my setup.
  • Options
    The NorthThe North Posts: 95
    cdysinge said:

Loving the disneyland vinyl. Maybe next RSD I will get lucky and score a re-release of that one.

I have heard many times those project carbons have issues with the motor speeding up and down enough that you can pick it up audibly. Those were the version they did the kickstarter for so hopefully it is fixed by now.

you thinking of the u-turn? they did kickstarter. Don't think pro-ject did.
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Sh*t you are right. Trying to multi-task by working and posting on the forum is never a good idea.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    edited April 2015
    My first was similar to this, not couting the fischer price plastic ones

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I have a Debut Carbon and love it! Got mine from Needledoctor and upgraded to the Ortofon 2m Blue stylus. Next up - acrylic platter.
    Nick, you are correct about the U-turn tables. Pro-ject has not done a kickstarter campaign.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    I think I played this vinyl:

or

Which I still own both of

until it turned into pizza

• Options

I have a Debut Carbon and love it! Got mine from Needledoctor and upgraded to the Ortofon 2m Blue stylus. Next up - acrylic platter.
    Nick, you are correct about the U-turn tables. Pro-ject has not done a kickstarter campaign.

i need a full system (table, amp, speakers) and I've been eyeing a bundle, in the $1500 Canadian range, that includes the Carbon . Things are more expensive up here, but can't wait.
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,227

Edit: appears link only works for some, Google "massdrop pro-ject debut" and it will for some reason work

Is that legit site? Is it really that good of a deal? $458 canadian after shipping plus likely get hit with duty and taxes. Can't you usually get those for around $450 Canadian?
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    edited April 2015
    Discussion on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/vinyl/comments/33lg43/group_buy_for_project_debut_carbon_now_available/

I have the upgraded version with acrylic platter and speedbox, love it. This looks slightly cheaper but it isn't exactly cheap. I personally will only buy a turntable from a brick & mortar store or reputable online retailer, so that I can go back if I have issues. I don't know anything about Massdrop or how they work, maybe they have good customer service.

Also, this might be the original Project Carbon Debut. There's an updated version Project Debut Carbon DC which is what I thought this was. That one retails for $449.

I guess what I'm saying is do your research before you buy, a turntable is not an impulse purchase.
    Post edited by Suziemay on
  • Options
    Horse2345 said:

Is that legit site? Is it really that good of a deal? $458 canadian after shipping plus likely get hit with duty and taxes. Can't you usually get those for around $450 Canadian?
    They retail for $479 + tax in Canada
  • Options

Horse2345 said:

Ok thanks. So pretty much same price once you include shipping, exchange, tax and duty. Think id feel better buying from a store in case there are problems.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    wgwg Posts: 411
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. UTurn Orbit. You only pay for what you want. Upgrade as you can afford to, and actually hear the difference a cart or platter make. I have thoroughly enjoyed mine. I use it every day. No issues. And, they have great customer service.
  • Options
    Horse2345 said:

Horse2345 said:

Ok thanks. So pretty much same price once you include shipping, exchange, tax and duty. Think id feel better buying from a store in case there are problems.
    From reading the Reddit on this, it sounds like the actual purchase price keeps going down the more people sign up, or you can commit to buy at a certain price? I keep seeing $319 floating around on the Reddit thread.
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    wg said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. UTurn Orbit. You only pay for what you want. Upgrade as you can afford to, and actually hear the difference a cart or platter make. I have thoroughly enjoyed mine. I use it every day. No issues. And, they have great customer service.

My U-Turn came yesterday. She got quite a workout. Thing sounds great and can attest that their customer service is A+.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,160
    I'm leaning towards getting a U-Turn, I just don't know if I want to go for any of the upgrades or not.
  • Options
    Suziemay said:

Horse2345 said:

Horse2345 said:

From reading the Reddit on this, it sounds like the actual purchase price keeps going down the more people sign up, or you can commit to buy at a certain price? I keep seeing $319 floating around on the Reddit thread.
    Yes the more that buy the lower the price until it hits the best price. $319 is the lowest price point so it won't go lower. You add the $56 shipping and convert to Canadian then add taxes and duty it pretty much works out the same as buying in a store here. If the dollar was better it could have been a good deal.
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    mattcoz said:

I'm leaning towards getting a U-Turn, I just don't know if I want to go for any of the upgrades or not.

You can always order the basic and upgrade later. I upgraded the cartridge and added the cue
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    Mookie1Mookie1 Posts: 223
    Looking to get my first decent turntable. Is the U-turn comparable to the Audio-Technica AT LP120? Which one would you guys suggest? Thanks.
  • Options
    Have you checked Soundstage Direct?
    Project are pretty good.
    http://bit.ly/1Dk0jpj
  • Options
    Mookie1 said:

Looking to get my first decent turntable. Is the U-turn comparable to the Audio-Technica AT LP120? Which one would you guys suggest? Thanks.

I don't have an opinion on which is better, but those are two different animals. The Audio Technica is direct-drive, U-turn Orbit is belt drive and will be more manual. This article was very helpful to me when I was researching: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-turntable/

Both seem to get really good reviews, I think it's just a matter of preference.
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,883
    edited April 2015
    I've read a lot of reviews about the U-turn that make me just question why someone wouldn't save up a few more bucks and go with a company with a proven track record and get a turntable that is considered by many to be THE best bet for an entry level audiophile table. I love my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. I did a side by side comparison with my Numark Pro TT with a nice Shure cart and the difference was pretty damn noticeable.

Later on I added the Speedbox, so I wouldn't need to adjust the belt when going from 33 to 45. Also added the beautiful acrylic platter. The Ortofon Red cartridge comes pre-installed and ready to go. Lots of Youtube videos that show the easy out of box set up. I did a lot of research before I bought and this one was/is the best choice for me. Just don't get a Crosley, especially if you are playing your rare PJ records. Yikes.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871
    My debut carbon is the best purchase I've made in a long time. I freaking love it.
  • Options
    Mookie1Mookie1 Posts: 223
    Bump
  • Options
    The North said:

Horse2345 said:

Price raised in Canada .......$549! We keep getting kicked in the rear. Add 13% tax as well here in Ontario.
  • Options

I've read a lot of reviews about the U-turn that make me just question why someone wouldn't save up a few more bucks and go with a company with a proven track record and get a turntable that is considered by many to be THE best bet for an entry level audiophile table. I love my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. I did a side by side comparison with my Numark Pro TT with a nice Shure cart and the difference was pretty damn noticeable.

Later on I added the Speedbox, so I wouldn't need to adjust the belt when going from 33 to 45. Also added the beautiful acrylic platter. The Ortofon Red cartridge comes pre-installed and ready to go. Lots of Youtube videos that show the easy out of box set up. I did a lot of research before I bought and this one was/is the best choice for me. Just don't get a Crosley, especially if you are playing your rare PJ records. Yikes.

Yes, if you are looking for a GREAT turntable that will be little effort to set up with potential upgrades later on. Pro-Ject over delivers in terms of price vs. performance. And now the DC version will be an internal upgrade.

Obviously much more expensive turntables out there that are absolutely incredible, but for the price Pro-Ject is great for many different levels of audiophiles.
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989

are your currently running the metal platter with included felt mat? or are you using a cork/rubber mat?

Also, has the blue ortofon 2m stylus made much difference?

Im looking to upgrade to acrylic due to the static from metal platter and felt mat.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    rw160510rw160510 Posts: 909
    Nami said:

are your currently running the metal platter with included felt mat? or are you using a cork/rubber mat?

Im looking to upgrade to acrylic due to the static from metal platter and felt mat.
    I've said this about the debut carbon before but it's worth repeating. I am really pleased with it as TT but the acrylic platter is well worth spending the extra cash on. The stock mat and metal platter generate so much static.The acrylic platter has greatly improved my listening experience. Next up is a stylus upgrade.
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    edited May 2015
    rw160510 said:

Nami said:

I've said this about the debut carbon before but it's worth repeating. I am really pleased with it as TT but the acrylic platter is well worth spending the extra cash on. The stock mat and metal platter generate so much static.The acrylic platter has greatly improved my listening experience. Next up is a stylus upgrade.
    Thanks RW, dumb question, with the acrylic do you still need a mat?
    just read you dont need a mat with it...awesome. $150 in canada d'oh
    Post edited by Nami on
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....