SEATTLE BLUES : CeDell Davis w/ Peter Buck, Mike McCready, Barrett Martin & more

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
edited November 2019 in The Porch
http://www.wherevent.com/detail/Barrett-Martin-SEATTLE-BLUES-CeDell-Davis-with-Peter-Buck-Mike-McCready-Barrett-Martin-Many-Special-Guests(2)

Event in Seattle
2200 2nd Ave,Seattle
Sunday 14 June 2015, 20:00
Organized by : Barrett Martin

The official page for musician and writer Barrett Martin, drummer for Tuatara, Walking Papers, Mad Season, Screaming Trees, and Skin Yard.

Activities Seattle / Description
We're putting on a very special night of the music featuring 89 year old delta blues legend CeDell Davis and a backing band of Seattle all-stars. This show is being filmed and recorded for a documentary film about how the music of the Mississippi Delta influenced Seattle Rock & Roll. You won't want to miss this show and tickets are going fast in the link below.

Featuring:

CeDell Davis, Delta Blues Legend
Peter Buck of REM
Mike McCready of Pearl Jam & Mad Season
Barrett Martin of Screaming Trees & Mad Season
Van Conner of Screaming Trees
Scott McCaughey of Minus 5
Evan Flory Barnes of Tuatara
Skerik of Tuatara
Ayron Jones of AJ & The Way
Greg & Zakk Binns
And other special guests
Post edited by demetrios on

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    Mike is definitely keeping himself busy.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• robbierobbie Posts: 880
    Purchaced!
    Surprised tickets are still available for this event.
    Just look who's on this card? And just $15 bucks?
    Tickets are sold out!
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    damnit!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    they might release tix the day of the show
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    I'm surprised it took day's to sell out when tickets were only $15 bucks a pop.

That line up is pretty freaking sweet.
    Soon ..
    http://www.seattleweekly.com/music/958879-129/bluesman-cedell-davis-and-his-butter

Bluesman CeDell Davis and His Butter Knife Guitar Style Has Legions of Famous Local Fans
    Even though he's from Arkansas, big shot PNW rockers are lining up to back this unique guitar player.

By Dave Lake Tue., Jun 9 2015 at 08:17PM

He can’t shred like Eddie Van Halen or fingerpick like Chet Atkins, but Delta bluesman CeDell Davis’ guitar technique is just as pioneering. Determined to play after his right hand was stricken with polio as a 10-year-old living in Helena, Ark., Davis bought a right-handed guitar and flipped it, the way Jimi Hendrix later made famous. Davis clawed the strings with two fingers on his left hand while using his right to wield one of his mother’s butter knives as a makeshift slide, fretting the strings over the top of the neck. The technique is a marvel to witness, creating the shrillness of metal on metal—slightly out-of-tune at times, but a fitting aesthetic for his gritty brand of Delta blues.

Now 89, Davis is no longer able to play guitar due to a 2005 stroke. But he can still sing, which he’s been doing in concert as often as possible thanks to a supportive group of musicians—including Barrett Martin, drummer for Ellensburg grunge stars Screaming Trees, who played on Davis’ last two albums and released them on his own Sunyata Records label.

Martin met Davis in 2001 via producer Joe Cripps, who asked him to help assemble a band for Davis’ LP When Lightnin’ Struck the Pine. Martin’s group Tuatara, which also features R.E.M.’s Peter Buck, seemed like a logical choice since they’d backed up other singer/songwriters.

The group recorded the album in a bar in Denton, Texas, that was closed during the day but open to customers at night, providing a unique mix of live energy and studio polish. “It’s Delta blues,” says Martin, “so it’s a little bit raunchy. It has this deep-pocket groove that makes people dance. Part of the charm of that style is that it can sound a little raucous, like you’re in a juke joint.”

Martin was also a part of Davis’ just-released Last Man Standing, produced by Squirrel Nut Zippers singer/guitarist Jimbo Mathis, who also grew up in the South and who played in Buddy Guy’s band in the early 2000s. “I was surprised to see Jimbo playing with a knife on my new record,” Davis said. “It sounds pretty good.”

Davis’ upcoming Crocodile show, which was put together by Martin, will feature a bevy of local heavyweights, including Buck, Pearl Jam’s Mike McCready, Van Conner of Screaming Trees, Scott McCaughey of The Minus Five, and rising singer/guitarist Ayron Jones.

The assembled rockers will have to contend with a different playing style than they’re used to. “I had to teach my band how to play my songs right. They was mainly rock ’n’ roll when I first started with them, now they play CeDell Davis blues,” Davis says with a laugh.

Martin, a classically trained percussionist who first toured with Davis more than a dozen years ago, confirmed that playing with the blues legend can require a bit of adjustment. “We’ll start the song and vamp until he comes in,” he says. “He’ll also turn and kind of change, halfway through a phrase, so it’s not even the 12-bar Chicago blues that everybody’s used to. That’s not the way they do it in the Delta. The best analogy I can say is that it’s like a prizefighter. It’ll turn on a toe and snap it back, and you have to really be attentive to that.”

While Davis is in town, Martin hopes to record with him and many of the same players who will appear at the show—which is also being filmed for a documentary Martin is producing about the connection between Delta blues and grunge. “I always felt that grunge was kind of working-man’s music for the proletariat,” he says. “It was loud and raucous in the same way that the blues was when it first started. It was music for nightclubs and house parties. The first gigs I played in Seattle were house parties.”

Though Sunday’s show is already sold out, Davis says he is happy simply to still be onstage at all. “I figured I would play music all my life,” he says. “I don’t feel like I’m that old. I used to have this dream when I was young, and I still have it every once in a while, that this real pretty woman is announcing my name, and I start playing on this big glass stage. My stepfather told me I was going to be a performer someday. I guess he was right after all.”

music@seattleweekly.com
    http://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/music/cedell-davis-to-sing-the-sounds-of-the-delta-at-the-crocodile/

CeDell Davis to sing the sounds of the Delta at the Crocodile

Arkansas blues man CeDell Davis performs with an all-star lineup of Seattle rockers, including Mike McCready and Peter Buck, Sunday, June 14, at the Crocodile.

CeDell Davis, an Arkansas blues man who as a boy actually saw Robert Johnson perform, will play and be celebrated by such Seattle rock royalty as Peter Buck and Mike McCready on Sunday, June 14, at the Crocodile.

By Charles R. Cross

Special to The Seattle Times

When 89-year-old CeDell Davis rolls his wheelchair onstage at the Crocodile Sunday, those in the sold-out crowd will witness more than just the sound of a Delta blues legend. On stage will also be a stellar lineup of Seattle legends, drawn by the chance to play with a true blues original.

Barrett Martin, of Walking Papers, leads the charge on drums, and you can thank him for the rare chance to see Davis. Martin befriended Davis in 2001, and two of his albums have been released on the drummer’s labels, both to critical acclaim.

Joining Martin will be Peter Buck (R.E.M.), Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Van Conner (Screaming Trees), Scott McCaughey (Minus Five), Evan Flory Barnes (Industrial Revelation), Skerik (Tuatara) and Ayron Jones (Ayron Jones and the Way). Blues players Greg and Zakk Binns open the show, but are also in the band.

8 p.m. Sunday, June 14, at the Crocodile, 2200 Second Ave., Seattle; sold out (206-441-4618 or thecrocodile.com).

But the real star, of course, is Davis himself. His claim to blues authenticity goes back to Robert Johnson, the most legendary bluesman of all-time, whom Davis saw play in his Helena, Ark., neighborhood.

“I was 8 years old,” Davis says. “My mother told me to go to the store to get groceries. I passed The Hole in the Wall, a club on Washington Street. They sold beer, whiskey and women in there. I watched Robert play a few songs. He was good, real good.”

There are many conflicting explanations for Johnson’s death, but Davis says the woman who is said to have poisoned him just a few years later was also in the audience that night. Davis (and others, too) say Johnson’s murderer was named “Craphouse Bea.”

Davis began to play not long after that, and later he would apprentice with Helena blues man Robert Nighthawk. Davis got polio in that era, but never stopped playing the blues, even from a wheelchair.

For the Seattle musicians who will accompany Davis, the show is a rare chance, and maybe a last chance, to play with a piece of Delta history. The concert will be recorded, and Davis also plans to cut a record with Seattle producer Jack Endino.

For Martin, it is the continuation of a 15-year musical friendship.

“When I play with CeDell, I feel an ancientness in the music and in the grooves,” Martin said. “I have a deep connection to CeDell, to the roots of music, and, literally, a connection to the earth itself. Maybe that’s because the blues originated in the Mississippi Delta, where the people worked very close to the earth, the water and the soil.”

The blues we know best was born in the Delta, and so was CeDell Davis. You’ll hear it in his voice at the Crocodile.

Charles R. Cross: therocketmagazinelives@gmail.com
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1115460638467844&id=635072843173295

@ Barrett Martin

Days 1 & 2 of the CeDell Davis delta blues sessions in Seattle featuring CeDell Davis, Zakk Binns, Ayron Jones, Deandre Enrico, Annie Jantzer, Scott McCaughey, the Screaming Trees rhythm section, and Mike McCready of Pearl Jam. Recorded by Jack Endino and produced by Barrett Martin. These sessions are, as they say, hotter than Mississippi asphalt.

Tonight!!! :)
    edited June 2015
    Check out youtube.com/user/vedart1/videos for some wicked clips from Sunday night show with Mike McCready.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3onMq81Lbaw
    https://www.facebook.com/mikemccreadypj/photos/a.137391643004113.34904.125191790890765/830785773664693/?type=1&theater

Was an honor to play with the legendary Cedell Davis on Sunday night at The Crocodile. He came with a group of great musicians who were all so amazing. Thanks to Barrett Martin for putting it all together!

http://bit.ly/CeDell
    http://www.alternativenation.net/watch-pearl-jam-mike-mccready-barrett-martin-cedell-davis/

Watch Pearl Jam’s Mike McCready Perform With Mad Season Bandmate Barrett Martin & Blues Legend CeDell Davis

Mad Season’s surviving members Mike McCready (Pearl Jam) and Barrett Martin (Screaming Trees) performed at the Croc in Seattle over the weekend with 89-year old blues legend CeDell Davis. The pair were also interviewed for a documentary film at the show, according to Barrett Martin’s Facebook page.

According to the event’s description, the show was filmed and recorded for a documentary film about how the music of the Mississippi Delta influenced Seattle rock and roll.

Featuring:

CeDell Davis, Delta Blues Legend
    Peter Buck of REM
    Mike McCready of Pearl Jam & Mad Season
    Barrett Martin of Screaming Trees & Mad Season
    Van Conner of Screaming Trees
    Scott McCaughey of Minus 5
    Evan Flory Barnes of Tuatara
    Skerik of Tuatara
    Ayron Jones of AJ & The Way
    Greg & Zakk Binns
    And other special guests

Davis has a distinctive sound that is the result of an unfortunate illness, according to John Bush’s AllMusic biography, “His right hand was crippled by polio at the age of ten, so he switched his guitar to a left-handed bottleneck style, which makes for a unique, atonal sound. He played locally throughout the 1950s and ’60s, with friends such as Robert Nighthawk, Big Joe Williams and Charlie Jordan.”

Watch videos of McCready and Martin performing with Davis below.
    https://www.facebook.com/226900470771269/posts/2299047750223187/

It's been a couple of years since the great delta bluesman CeDell Davis passed away at the age of 91, but I was fortunate to have played on, and released his final 3 studio albums, and both Mike McCready and I played on his final album, "Even The Devil Gets The Blues." CeDell's former manager Gregg Binns (also a friend of mine) has created a blues foundation and a potential blues festival in CeDell's name, both in his home state of Arkansas. There is a fundraiser going on to raise money for both the foundation and a proper carved headstone to honor the  legacy of CeDell. If you have the means to contribute, please do so through the CeDell Davis Foundation (the information is on the poster) and you can personally help us continue the great tradition of the delta blues. Thank you, and love to everyone, Barrett