Comments

• Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    PJ_Soul said:
    BF89905 said:
    goldrush said:
    $1000?!? That's insane.
    I mean, it is a great album, but it's not $1000 great
    No album is worth $1,000 - the same way no concert poster is worth $1,000. I just assume the people who spend money like this make 200k plus a year.
    Some people consider it an investment... These kinds of things are just about the worst investments I've ever heard of though. I wonder if it's occurred to those collectors that at some point Pearl Jam merch is going to plummet in value, and not just appreciate indefinitely? Like once all us middle aged kids are dead?
    Not necessarily. Rare / collectible music memorabilia from the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's etc. is still valuable today and those kids that listened to that music could be long gone by now. Investment for sure. Not ALL of it, but a lot of it.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    evsgjamm said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    BF89905 said:
    goldrush said:
    $1000?!? That's insane.
    I mean, it is a great album, but it's not $1000 great
    No album is worth $1,000 - the same way no concert poster is worth $1,000. I just assume the people who spend money like this make 200k plus a year.
    Some people consider it an investment... These kinds of things are just about the worst investments I've ever heard of though. I wonder if it's occurred to those collectors that at some point Pearl Jam merch is going to plummet in value, and not just appreciate indefinitely? Like once all us middle aged kids are dead?
    Not necessarily. Rare / collectible music memorabilia from the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's etc. is still valuable today and those kids that listened to that music could be long gone by now. Investment for sure. Not ALL of it, but a lot of it.
    Not ever close to a lot of it. In fact, almost none of it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    I disagree, PJ_Soul.

For the most part, any musical instrument played by any of the greats that are now long gone is certainly more valuable today than it was in the past.
    To the same tune, any original albums, rare pressings, promo's etc. of any of the greats fits in the same statement.  
    These are not the worst investments like you claim. Especially for Pearl Jam: their rare items will continue to grow in value, especially long after we are all dead.  And the more that people open and spin their collectible vinyl, the more valuable the sealed ones will get in the future. The more people stick pin holes in their posters (is that still a thing? lol) the more valuable the mint, untouched ones will get over time.
    Same with CD's, cassettes and clothing.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited March 2018
    evsgjamm said:
    I disagree, PJ_Soul.

For the most part, any musical instrument played by any of the greats that are now long gone is certainly more valuable today than it was in the past.
    To the same tune, any original albums, rare pressings, promo's etc. of any of the greats fits in the same statement.  
    These are not the worst investments like you claim. Especially for Pearl Jam: their rare items will continue to grow in value, especially long after we are all dead.  And the more that people open and spin their collectible vinyl, the more valuable the sealed ones will get in the future. The more people stick pin holes in their posters (is that still a thing? lol) the more valuable the mint, untouched ones will get over time.
    Same with CD's, cassettes and clothing.
    Well that's what I meant. MOST of the stuff from past eras isn't worth much of anything. Stuff from the "greats" are few and far between. Hence, almost none of it is worth anything. As for what will happen with PJ merch... I don't have a crystal ball or anything obviously, but I kind of suspect that their stuff might go the way that all the Elvis stuff has. Big depreciation now that all of his rabid fans are dead or dying. And he was most certainly one of the "greats" as well. And remember, availability/rarity is a huge factor. With many of the items still worth something, that is only because there are hardly any of them in existence. The farther along you get in the almanac, the more of everything there is. People didn't know to keep all that shit back in the 40s, but they sure do now. But yeah, I could be wrong... I just would advise people not to count on it. That is one risky investment.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,840
    pdalowsky said:
    Crikey back in the day this was a $600-800 record, 

signed twice it seems a steal although i note the value has dropped of late
    I believe I picked one up at the 2013 Pop Shop Shop for $300? Before that I've seen them selling so high. 

It's pretty cool Ed signed both sides of the vinyl.