Options

Best sounding TEN vinyl?

Hey everyone,

Being around in this forum for awhile now, I heard that some of you prefered the original Pearl Jam LP above the Redux version. And that's the version what I own.. :(. Now, I looked at Discogs and saw five (different?) versions. Which one do you prefer the most, speaking of sound?

Redux - http://www.discogs.com/Pearl-Jam-Ten/release/1704831
Original - http://www.discogs.com/Pearl-Jam-Ten/release/707653
180g Simply Vinyl (same picture on sleeve as original) - http://www.discogs.com/Pearl-Jam-Ten/release/3072121
Picture Disc - http://www.discogs.com/Pearl-Jam-Ten/release/1084257
Reissue from 2007 - http://www.discogs.com/Pearl-Jam-Ten/release/1171114

Comments

• Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Original for me but I'm sure the Simply Vinyl sounds good too.

All my Nirvana albums except for Bleach are Simply Vinyl and they sound great!

In fact I'm looking for a Beck Odelay on Simply Vinyl right now! ;)
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,865
    Waiting for some time to slip the simply vinyl version on the turntable.....
  • Options
    I miss the old days if being a kid and sticking the record on the platter, dropping the needle and listening. No preamps, wires, cleaners, anti static, azimuth, speedboxes, gruvglide, Japanese sleeves.....just dirty records and hours if crackling fun. Still own the first record I had, Burl Ives- The lollipop tree. Cannot wait to play it for my kids
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited April 2015
    The redux sounds like shit due to the remastering. They brickwalled the hell out of it. The original is by far the better of the two. Ive never heard the Simply Vinyl pressing but if they got their sources right it should beat the Redux as well pretty easily.

I also dont own the picture disc but picture discs look great but never sound good.
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,115
    hrd2imgn said:

I miss the old days if being a kid and sticking the record on the platter, dropping the needle and listening. No preamps, wires, cleaners, anti static, azimuth, speedboxes, gruvglide, Japanese sleeves.....just dirty records and hours if crackling fun. Still own the first record I had, Burl Ives- The lollipop tree. Cannot wait to play it for my kids

You can still go old school. My Denon 300f has a built in amp, so theoretically it doesn't need to have a preamp outside of it (although I plugged one in because I had one already). It's too bad receiver's don't often come with phono inputs anymore. I don't use most of that stuff you mentioned. I could use a cleaner though, but I'm usually lazy and don't bother :) I am trying to think of my first record. Technically speaking it was a Peanuts (Charlie Brown) record when I was a kid. I got that one and my brother got the pink panther punk album... lol. I used to spin my mom's records (lots of beach boys, john denver, and john lennon shaved fish). I don't think I start buying vinyl until the mid 90's when I went to store to buy fireworks and they had milk crates full of used records for 10 cents and 25 cents. I remember buying Led Zeppelin II, Dark Side of the Moon, Ghostbusters Soundtrack, Milli Vanilla (I couldn't not buy it... it was only a quarter!). It's crazy how expensive used vinyl has gotten. In the 90s people could barely give it away.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,189
    Zod said:

hrd2imgn said:

You can still go old school. My Denon 300f has a built in amp, so theoretically it doesn't need to have a preamp outside of it (although I plugged one in because I had one already). It's too bad receiver's don't often come with phono inputs anymore. I don't use most of that stuff you mentioned. I could use a cleaner though, but I'm usually lazy and don't bother :) I am trying to think of my first record. Technically speaking it was a Peanuts (Charlie Brown) record when I was a kid. I got that one and my brother got the pink panther punk album... lol. I used to spin my mom's records (lots of beach boys, john denver, and john lennon shaved fish). I don't think I start buying vinyl until the mid 90's when I went to store to buy fireworks and they had milk crates full of used records for 10 cents and 25 cents. I remember buying Led Zeppelin II, Dark Side of the Moon, Ghostbusters Soundtrack, Milli Vanilla (I couldn't not buy it... it was only a quarter!). It's crazy how expensive used vinyl has gotten. In the 90s people could barely give it away.
    hey, you looking to sell that Milli Vanilli record?

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Girl You know it's true, girl you know its true, girl you know its true.

I heard the record automatically skips there every time ;-)
  • Options
    hrd2imgn said:

Girl You know it's true, girl you know its true, girl you know its true.

I heard the record automatically skips there every time ;-)

I see what you did there...well done!