Options

Police shooting in North Charleston

Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
edited April 2015 in A Moving Train
Most of us have seen the video so I won't post the link. A couple of points I wanted to bring up were 1) this incident happened March 28. I remember seeing it on the Saturday evening news. Nothing was released. I live 20 miles from where this happened and didn't hear a shred of evidence. It seems that once this video became public, the charges were filed. And 2) if this was a traffic stop, where were the cars? Why were they so far away from their vehicles?

Regardless of the answers, this story won't be in the news long. The evidence is clear. Even without the video, it would be hard not to press charges on the cop. 8 shots in the back is hard thing to defend. I've been hearing for years the problems with the police in North Charleston. The mayor has pushed this on the back burner several times in the past few years. This is not the first time a cop here has killed someone.

Comments

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,796
    Its disgusting
    Its murder
    That ex-cop can now go spend the rest of his life, rotting in prison.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    I need to know the skin color of the people involved before I can give an educated opinion.
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542

I need to know the skin color of the people involved before I can give an educated opinion.

Guess
  • Options
    That press conference said nothing.
  • Options
    It really is disturbing that the cop shot 8 times. Once he made the decision to shoot, was 3 not enough? There obviously was no danger to the cop or the public.
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209

thats unfortunate
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    The victim's brother spoke so eloquently, so calmly, and made a point of acknowledging the officers who do good work.

Class act.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    hedonist said:

The victim's brother spoke so eloquently, so calmly, and made a point of acknowledging the officers who do good work.

Class act.

Yeah saw that total class ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    I have yet to hear anyone ask or anyone say why they were about 2 blocks away from the original traffic stop in the first place.
  • Options
    The guy who shot the video said that before he started recording, the cop was tasing Scott and had him on the ground and had control of him. As scott was getting up, he started recording and we saw the rest.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Heard part of this on my ride home. Just watched the video. Agreed Last 12. I haven't heard/read the whole story - why was he stopped? Does the police not run anymore? Danger?
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:

Heard part of this on my ride home. Just watched the video. Agreed Last 12. I haven't heard/read the whole story - why was he stopped? Does the police not run anymore? Danger?

He was stopped for a broken tail light from what I've heard. I still haven't heard or read much more than that.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Hmmm....how do you end up outside your vehicle for that kind of a traffic stop? We'll prolly never hear why he asked him to exit the vehicle and so on.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    According to the mayor, there is a second video that has not been released yet. It's the officers dash cam. That should shed some light on that question.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

According to the mayor, there is a second video that has not been released yet. It's the officers dash cam. That should shed some light on that question.

I wonder whats the delay in releasing this video. Unless it's gonna be bad as well.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

The guy who shot the video said that before he started recording, the cop was tasing Scott and had him on the ground and had control of him. As scott was getting up, he started recording and we saw the rest.

The video seems to corroborate that account. After several viewings I thought I saw (really not clear enough to be anything close to sure) victim on the ground as the camera shakes around as recorder gets in position... What is clear is that the cops drops/throws the taser down and then pulls his gun as the victim "runs" away. I use the quotes because he is not sprinting, and looks to my (not expert) eyes to be moving like someone might after being tased and getting up to run away.
    Did he assault the cop? Maybe he did, it's hard to tell... But does 8 shots to the back and tampering with the scene corroborate tthe claim that the officer feared for his life, or does it lend credence to the idea that this victim was the one afraid for his life??

I can easily see it being a case of the guy assaults (to some degree) the officer and the officer overreacts by shooting him in the back.

I can just as easily see this as a case of a man being harassed by an officer, trying to stand up for his legal rights, being met with a taser for insolence, and trying to get away in (rightful) fear for his life.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    badbrains said:

I wonder whats the delay in releasing this video. Unless it's gonna be bad as well.
    We wouldn't have seen the cell phone video had the attorneys for Scott's family not released it. I'm sure SLED has plans to release the dash cam video once the case against the officer is made. It may not even be released until the trial. I would think if they release it to soon, the mighty Andy Savage could say it effected the jury pool.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

The video seems to corroborate that account. After several viewings I thought I saw (really not clear enough to be anything close to sure) victim on the ground as the camera shakes around as recorder gets in position... What is clear is that the cops drops/throws the taser down and then pulls his gun as the victim "runs" away. I use the quotes because he is not sprinting, and looks to my (not expert) eyes to be moving like someone might after being tased and getting up to run away.
    Did he assault the cop? Maybe he did, it's hard to tell... But does 8 shots to the back and tampering with the scene corroborate tthe claim that the officer feared for his life, or does it lend credence to the idea that this victim was the one afraid for his life??

I can easily see it being a case of the guy assaults (to some degree) the officer and the officer overreacts by shooting him in the back.

I can just as easily see this as a case of a man being harassed by an officer, trying to stand up for his legal rights, being met with a taser for insolence, and trying to get away in (rightful) fear for his life.
    EIGHT shots. In the back. That's what I can't get my head around.

I don't believe the man was armed, either, correct?

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    hedonist said:

rgambs said:

Correct, unarmed. It's pretty brutal... The thing that gets me about these videos is that the victim never dies right away. The guy lays there slowly passing away and they just watch him die. In this case, when the next cop arrives, he rushes over and gives aid with clearly visible compassion... I can more easily understand the shooting itself (heat of the moment and all that) than the inactivity and total passivity as the victims life drains away.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited April 2015

FoxyRedLa said:

He was stopped for a broken tail light from what I've heard. I still haven't heard or read much more than that.
    I thought I read somewhere he ran from the traffic stop possibly due to unpaid child support warrants. That is what led them to that field. Certainly not deserving of being shot.
  • Options

FoxyRedLa said:

I thought I read somewhere he ran from the traffic stop possibly due to unpaid child support warrants. That is what led them to that field. Certainly not deserving of being shot.
    I've heard some of that too. Nothing has been confirmed.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,764
    Heres to hoping for a guilty plea with no deal.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    just watched the video a few times...totally not saying the victim deserved to be shot but did he take the taser and fire it at the cop? Right before the victim runs away I see evidence of a taser being shot. almost like a clear rope if that makes sense.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    Ha i knew sooner or later some of you would start with . well the guy did do this & that and so it starts the blame starts to shift to the dead guy and one ? i have to ask all of you here when was the last time a video of a cop shooting a white guy surfaced where it's cristal clear that an unarmed man running away from a cop has happened ....

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    rgambs said:

hedonist said:

rgambs said:

Correct, unarmed. It's pretty brutal... The thing that gets me about these videos is that the victim never dies right away. The guy lays there slowly passing away and they just watch him die. In this case, when the next cop arrives, he rushes over and gives aid with clearly visible compassion... I can more easily understand the shooting itself (heat of the moment and all that) than the inactivity and total passivity as the victims life drains away.
    The fact that this piece of shit ran back to get the tazer after he cuffed a dying man instead of trying any kind of aid, tells me all I need to know about him. Hope he rots.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539

Ha i knew sooner or later some of you would start with . well the guy did do this & that and so it starts the blame starts to shift to the dead guy and one ? i have to ask all of you here when was the last time a video of a cop shooting a white guy surfaced where it's cristal clear that an unarmed man running away from a cop has happened ....

I don't think anyone is trying to make excuses for the cop, but I think it underscores the importance of not resisting arrest. There is no excuse in this case for the cop to kill the individual, but the individual is probably alive today if didn't resist arrest or run.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832

No one is shifting blame. Just stating facts as they unfold. Everyone here (to my knowledge) is in agreement that this was murder. No matter what mr scott did or did not do preceding it does not matter. The video does not lie. He was shot in the back while running away. I am so fucking disturbed by this.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832

rgambs said:

hedonist said:

rgambs said:

The fact that this piece of shit ran back to get the tazer after he cuffed a dying man instead of trying any kind of aid, tells me all I need to know about him. Hope he rots.
    The official police report that he filled out also states he performed cpr. Lying sack of shit. His actions during and directly after the shooting shows an incredible lack of respect for life.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I don't think anyone is trying to make excuses for the cop, but I think it underscores the importance of not resisting arrest. There is no excuse in this case for the cop to kill the individual, but the individual is probably alive today if didn't resist arrest or run.
    Very well said, man. You too, Hugh.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826

Really? Given how that officer behaved in the video, I don't think it is at all a sure thing that he would be alive if he didn't run.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf