The plague of neighborhood solicitors and other neighborhood observations.

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Oh, had a friend that sold the meat "hey we got a surplus". He was so desperate to make his quota he sold the biggest case he had for his cost-they can barter the price with you.

They were alright steaks...for being frozen.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    The meat thing is a story that goes to my brother. Someone bought the drive-by freezer steaks to celebrate my brother's birthday. Didn't tell him that's where they were from. He ended up so incredibly ill from them that they basically had to "reset" his digestive system starting with baby food. It was only after that the guy admitted where he bought them. Yuck.

My husband encountered one of those guys at the end of our driveway last year. He really didn't want to leave. Wanted my husband to buy something. Um, no. :sick:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    deadendp said:

The meat thing is a story that goes to my brother. Someone bought the drive-by freezer steaks to celebrate my brother's birthday. Didn't tell him that's where they were from. He ended up so incredibly ill from them that they basically had to "reset" his digestive system starting with baby food. It was only after that the guy admitted where he bought them. Yuck.

My husband encountered one of those guys at the end of our driveway last year. He really didn't want to leave. Wanted my husband to buy something. Um, no. :sick:

Yep, those "steaks" are so gross, my sister bought some one time and they had a weird mealy texture and tasted kinda gamey.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Was away from this place for a few days and I come back and this thread has something like 80 new posts. I thought, man, how bad can neighborhood solicitors be! Should have known it was mostly degenerate whining. :tongue:

I've never heard about meat trucks. I feel like I've missed out on something. Maybe they don't show up much in Texas cause steaks are already pretty cheap. Hell, you can just go out and shoot one of your steers if you want one that bad.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527

Was away from this place for a few days and I come back and this thread has something like 80 new posts. I thought, man, how bad can neighborhood solicitors be! Should have known it was mostly degenerate whining. :tongue:

I've never heard about meat trucks. I feel like I've missed out on something. Maybe they don't show up much in Texas cause steaks are already pretty cheap. Hell, you can just go out and shoot one of your steers if you want one that bad.

Lol very very true!
    Welcome back by the way!
    Here's another neighborhood observation. No solicitors this time. I have a pain in the ass neighbor who claims that a chunk of my property is his. Now, I suppose that if I had hundreds of acres, this would be no big deal. My lot is 40' x 120'. Every spring, he questions me about the property line. Last year, Mark was out there with me.

"So, I have a question to ask." I knew what it was.

"Where is the property line?"

"You are standing on it."

"I mean, just WHERE is it at?"

"Where precisely is it?"

"Oh my God, Mike-- YOU ARE STANDING ON IT!"

"But I don't see any property pins."

"That's because your railroad ties are on top."

He decides he's going to put up a fence. He did it next to his house, on the other neighbor's property, which he claims is his because he's convinced that Mr. K's garage is on HIS property. Never once has he had a survey.

You know what? We did. I know where our property line is. Does he?
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,482
    Let us know if you need a degenerate-a-occupation ala Bundy Ranch style.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    deadendp said:

Here's another neighborhood observation. No solicitors this time. I have a pain in the ass neighbor who claims that a chunk of my property is his. Now, I suppose that if I had hundreds of acres, this would be no big deal. My lot is 40' x 120'. Every spring, he questions me about the property line. Last year, Mark was out there with me.

"Where precisely is it?"

He decides he's going to put up a fence. He did it next to his house, on the other neighbor's property, which he claims is his because he's convinced that Mr. K's garage is on HIS property. Never once has he had a survey.

It sounds as if he has his own version of Groundhog Day going on there.
    ELITIST FUK
    Oh, he is something special. He keeps asking me about the property line every year, in multiple toddler-like fashion, figuring that he's going to wear me out. Um, he's not. He keeps telling everyone that this three foot strip of land between my driveway and his flower bed is his. I had a retired city engineer and a current city engineer do the survey before we put our fence up. He knew that we had that done because we didn't want anyone to say we were on their property. What's funny is that this strip of land he insists is his is something that his mother-in-law brought up that he has never attempted to maintain anyhow. (She was the previous owner of the house and told me that the property line is exactly where the surveyors said it was.)

He's just out there to bully us and even though I'm not the tallest or biggest chick out there, I'll take him. He used to be a cop, but when the department that he worked for combined with another, they did not choose to keep him on. It took him 4 years to get security work at a satellite ER. The police department didn't take him with them because he was well known to be "bad cop."

He is just a prize that I can't even fully explain to you. I love his wife, though. She is truly a saint. Won't leave him, though she has tried. He threatened to take their daughter. Nice.
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    ^^^ Sounds like you have a real winner next door. I personally live next to Dennis the Menace. A 5 year old little boy who thinks its funny to go collect ants in plastic easter eggs and then set them free in my house. The parents try really hard with him and discipline him constantly so I can't fault them. I found my secret weapon though against Dennis. I ground my kids from playing with him when he pisses me off. It works like a charm.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    deadendp said:

Oh, he is something special. He keeps asking me about the property line every year, in multiple toddler-like fashion, figuring that he's going to wear me out. Um, he's not. He keeps telling everyone that this three foot strip of land between my driveway and his flower bed is his. I had a retired city engineer and a current city engineer do the survey before we put our fence up. He knew that we had that done because we didn't want anyone to say we were on their property. What's funny is that this strip of land he insists is his is something that his mother-in-law brought up that he has never attempted to maintain anyhow. (She was the previous owner of the house and told me that the property line is exactly where the surveyors said it was.)

He's just out there to bully us and even though I'm not the tallest or biggest chick out there, I'll take him. He used to be a cop, but when the department that he worked for combined with another, they did not choose to keep him on. It took him 4 years to get security work at a satellite ER. The police department didn't take him with them because he was well known to be "bad cop."

He is just a prize that I can't even fully explain to you. I love his wife, though. She is truly a saint. Won't leave him, though she has tried. He threatened to take their daughter. Nice.

Too bad the Poopetrator couldn't pay your neighbor a visit.
    ELITIST FUK
    ^^ That would be the greatest thing ever! I would definitely applaud that poopetration.
    Poopertration!! I love it!!
    Either I was scammed, or I've been blessed.

Walking around the market, this little dude grabs my hand and puts a bracelet on it, says 'gift'...he says "blessing" and starts saying something with peace' in it, grabs Mr. RK's hand puts a bracelet on him, says 'gift', says "peace, peace". Then hands us little shiny plastic cards and says 'donation'. Pulls out his notebook. We only have $3 and give it to him. He looks sad, I say "i don't have any more money", he says "ok", I offer to give the bracelet back but he refuses. Then has me put our names in the book and says another blessing.

We walk away, I look at the card...it has a pic of Guanyan on it (she's the goddess of mercy/compassion). Now I feel bad. We have lunch, I get cash and go look for the guy (and also because for some reason I have karmic guilt), I find him and give him the $10 and point to the bracelet he gave me earlier. He pulls out a different color bracelet from his bag and insists I take it. He wants to give Me. RK another one, he says 'no'. So the guy hands us 2 more cards, has me write in his book again, and blesses me again.

I know there are stories of these monks being scammers, but if he was a scammer, would he have given me another bracelet? Or more cards?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    cdysinge said:

^^^ Sounds like you have a real winner next door. I personally live next to Dennis the Menace. A 5 year old little boy who thinks its funny to go collect ants in plastic easter eggs and then set them free in my house. The parents try really hard with him and discipline him constantly so I can't fault them. I found my secret weapon though against Dennis. I ground my kids from playing with him when he pisses me off. It works like a charm.

There's a kid next door to me who I don't think I'd call a Dennis the menace but who doesn't get disciplined for a lot of crap that I kind of don't understand why his mom thinks is acceptable behavior. He had developed the habit of ringing our doorbell for no reason. I live in a pretty old building, and the doorbells are rigged up to wake the dead. So my mom's mobility was really limited but she happened to be passing by the door when he rang the bell. Usually she won't make it in time before they go in, or she can hear that it's them and just ignores him. This time she was able to reach the door and open it and see him there and she's like 'what do you want' and hes just stood there with his "shit eating grin" so she tells him "don't ring my doorbell unless you need something, you shouldn't ring people's doorbells for no reason" the kids mother turns around, and says to her "Don't talk to my son like that!".

I try not to talk shit about peoples parenting cuz I know fuck all about raising kids but something tells me this is not really going to end well for this kid.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    ^^ Years ago, I was sitting on the front porch and accidentally found some older kids-- in the middle of the afternoon-- doing the ding-dong-ditch. They were staring at the door bell button on my house. I'm on the porch. Really? You are still considering it? Then they move on to another house. They run up and go to ring the bell and I yell, "Yeah, I wouldn't really consider it." "Wha-?" "Don't come into this neighborhood and ding-dong-ditch." "Um, we don't understand what you mean." :innocent look: "Don't run up to people's porches and ring their door bells. There is a police officer there and a teacher there. The teacher? She would have nothing with you ringing her doorbell and running. She would come out after you." :eyes wide: "I highly suggest that you go home." Our street is one block long. They were living/staying at the house at the end of the street. I stood on the sidewalk and watched them walk home. They turned around at one point and were shocked that I was watching. "I just wanted to make sure that you got home." We never had a problem with them again.
    ^^^Amy, you are badass.
    ELITIST FUK
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    deadendp said:

"Where precisely is it?"

I'm pretty sure the juggler knows something about fence building.....you can usually find him in the Philly thread.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    SD48277 said:

^^^Amy, you are badass.

Agreed!
    My brother phoned the other day. He said that he saw some guy drive down an embankment and over a brick wall on the corner of the street that my parents live on. He said that somehow the car made it, though leaking transmission fluid and gas, but it managed to continue to limp along.

He knew the guy was drunk, so he decided to follow him. He followed him for 10 minutes to my little 3 block road, 10 minutes from where he was at to land at one of the houses about 4 houses down from me.

He went back to my parent's town to talk more with the police department who were on the scene making a report of the damage done to the church lawn and brick wall. He explained he had followed the guy and knew where he was. They drove back over to my neighborhood, knocked on the doors, saw people looking out but no one answered. Because they were out of their jurisdiction, they couldn't force the people to answer.

There is someone at the house with a warrant for their arrest.

This is AT LEAST the 4th time someone from that house has driven drunk down our road. The neighbor lost a tree on the tree lawn because the guy smacked it. The guy came through another time and drove up on the tree lawn again. (I've threatened to install curve chevrons down my neighbors tree lawn with signs that say, "TURN HERE.")

We have three children who live basically on that corner on this side.

The police here won't do anything unless they actually witness him driving drunk. I suppose that they want to see one of our children dead or someone severely injured.

The kicker? The next door neighbor (I've written about him as bad cop with property line issues) could have had the guy arrested when he took out the tree, but he opted not to. Real nice. We could have taken care of this problem then.

Any suggestions? My brother is trying to see what the other city can do for us since ours seems to be failing us.
    Just got an urgent knock on the door, and my dogs freak out.

"hi, my name is Bill and this is my friend Teresa..."
    I can see the religious pamphlets in their black binder
    "we're in your neighborhood today to inform you about the bible..."
    I interrupt..."we're not interested, thankyoubyebye!" and shut the door.
    He yells at me thriugh the closed door "have a nice day!"

I kinda feel bad, but I kinda don't.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY said:

Don't feel bad. You saved yourself from the long, drawn out testimony about how Bill took Teresa in and showed her the way. I love Jesus, but I just don't love the people knocking on my door. I do the same thing or I just don't answer at all.
    deadendp said:

RKCNDY said:

Don't feel bad. You saved yourself from the long, drawn out testimony about how Bill took Teresa in and showed her the way. I love Jesus, but I just don't love the people knocking on my door. I do the same thing or I just don't answer at all.
    Thanks, I feel a little better. It's great when people go to church or whatever to feel good. But I just don't want people to push it on me.

- Christopher McCandless
    I'm with you. I figure that if people really want to know my thoughts on things, they'll ask. It isn't my job to beat someone upside the head with a bible and to tell them that how they are living their life is wrong. Who knows? What I'm doing in my life may not be right. Last I checked, it is "judge not lest ye be judged." So often, I do believe people rip that out of their bible. I'm not a sinless example of humanity. I don't try to come off as I am either.
    Maybe next time show them the way of the degenerate and the holy turtle.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    I currently spend the majority of my day hanging out in a t-shirt and underwear as I don't leave the house. My living room has a 15' window and a mostly glass front door, when someone comes to the door there is no hiding. So when the religious stalkers came to my door the other day I said fuck it and just answered it. Funny how god is no longer that important when the person isn't wearing pants, they couldn't wait to get off my porch.
    It does make me miss winter insomuch that I purposefully do not shovel my front walk all winter, this leads to a remarkable decrease in solicitors for a least 4 months of the year.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
    See, I don't care if they see me in my house. I just don't answer, unless I have a raging case of PMS. Sometimes I can't resist at that point. :bring_it:
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    This is usually my tactic as well, which amuses me due to the confusion that comes over their faces, however this time I was just irritated enough to say fuck it. Totally worth it and with any luck a little bit of a deterrent for a while.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
    Next time I'm coming out in tidy whities and a wife beater just to see their faces. I need to go buy some as I don't own either but that sounds like fun.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle