Options

Asking For A Raise

Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
edited September 2015 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm walking into the bosses office today and giving it a go. I know I deserve a raise, I believe management would agree. The problem is knowing that I'll most likely hear some BS story and the "I'll see what I can do" and it just becomes a fight on my end.

Anyone else have issues? Nervousness? BS management?
I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
Post edited by Empty Glass on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Not where I'm currently employed, but have been there before! Good luck man! Fingers and toes crossed for you!
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Go get em'!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    That went better than expected. I was put in for one a few weeks ago. Not sure if it'll get approved, but at least the ball is rolling
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    Keeping my fingers crossed for ya!
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790

Keeping my fingers crossed for ya!

+1

Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    good luck!!!
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

I'm walking into the bosses office today and giving it a go. I know I deserve a raise, I believe management would agree. The problem is knowing that I'll most likely hear some BS story and the "I'll see what I can do" and it just becomes a fight on my end.

Way to go, Empty!

I'm of the mind that salary increases should be tied to worth, vs. need (I hope that makes sense).

In a similar boat here, in that I've taken on much more beyond my initial job description from years ago - and have kicked ass. Holiday bonuses aside, overdue for a decent bump.

Glad the start of it has gone well, and sounds like someone's already looking out for you.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Excellent EG! Drinks are on you! Oh wait then I can't come....dinners on you!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Way to go, Empty!

I'm of the mind that salary increases should be tied to worth, vs. need (I hope that makes sense).

In a similar boat here, in that I've taken on much more beyond my initial job description from years ago - and have kicked ass. Holiday bonuses aside, overdue for a decent bump.

Glad the start of it has gone well, and sounds like someone's already looking out for you.
    "Holiday bonus" :rofl:

What are those?

In all seriousness, I completely understand the worth vs need. About 3 years ago we hired a compensation analyst. (Boy did the company fuck up there). Yep, we hired someone to come in and interview everyone and adjust their salary. We have about 2,500 employees. We understood this would be a long process and most were patient. Well, over time people became antsy, especially those who knew they were underpaid. So the process sped up and groups of people were adjusted. I received a nice bump up, so did people on my team. At this time I was put on another team and did my old job and new job.

So my bump was more of a pay cut. I've been pissed off ever since, knowing what I do isn't even close to what they do.

I'm glad my manager noticed and did what was right. The whole compensation analyst thing was a joke. If you're a manager and don't know what your staff is doing then you shouldn't be in that position.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    reminds me of my old company and the antics they did...
    my old company they did a wage freeze for 1 year ( no standard living % bump) and the following year only performing workers ($$$ recovered) received increases. As a person on a management level this disgusted me and was one of many contributing factors as to why i left.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options

hedonist said:

Way to go, Empty!

What are those?

In all seriousness, I completely understand the worth vs need. About 3 years ago we hired a compensation analyst. (Boy did the company fuck up there). Yep, we hired someone to come in and interview everyone and adjust their salary. We have about 2,500 employees. We understood this would be a long process and most were patient. Well, over time people became antsy, especially those who knew they were underpaid. So the process sped up and groups of people were adjusted. I received a nice bump up, so did people on my team. At this time I was put on another team and did my old job and new job.

So my bump was more of a pay cut. I've been pissed off ever since, knowing what I do isn't even close to what they do.

I'm glad my manager noticed and did what was right. The whole compensation analyst thing was a joke. If you're a manager and don't know what your staff is doing then you shouldn't be in that position.
    Totally agree! Congrats on the progress made!
  • Options

What are those?

Yeah, I'm fortunate in that my company gives us bonuses each year after our holiday party.

And it sure is nice to have a boss / manager who has your back and understands the importance of pay being commensurate with (quality and amount of) work.

I'm due for a raise too, dammit! Like Nami, despite getting a nice increase a couple of years ago, we've had a salary freeze for awhile. Guess it's coming around the corner since business and income have really picked up.

Hopefully patience continues to be a virtue :bee:

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    edited April 2015
    I would have walked in, with an empty glass and said..."uh, I like my glass to be full"

Ok, bad joke. Hope you get what you believe you are worth.

My state has the highest minimum wage, and the city of Seattle just approved the $15/hr pay rate (it's not an instant $15, it's a gradual pay increase over a period of 4 years or something). So even though I only work part time, I make a decent amount per hour. Actually making more per hour now, than I was when I worked at the clinic full time and did 4 different separate functions.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited April 2015
    Other side of the issue.
    As an employer,I take good care of my people.We are very generous and far exceed our industry for compensation packages.That said,even though I know who is coming due for a yearly increase(yes we give most of our people yearly cost of living increases) your body of work better reflect your salary.If an employee has made a lot of fuck ups and cost me money,taken a lot of time off(not earned vaca time) then I'm not giving them a bump.Be a rockstar,kill it for me,I hook them up.

Also I like to be asked.I don't want it assumed.I prefer one of our team take me aside and let me know how and why they see things the way they do.It keeps us all on the same page.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

Other side of the issue.
    As an employer,I take good care of my people.We are very generous and far exceed our industry for compensation packages.That said,even though I know who is coming due for a yearly increase(yes we give most of our people yearly cost of living increases) your body of work better reflect your salary.If an employee has made a lot of fuck ups and cost me money,taken a lot of time off(not earned vaca time) then I'm not giving them a bump.Be a rockstar,kill it for me,I hook them up.

Also I like to be asked.I don't want it assumed.I prefer one of our team take me aside and let me know how and why they see things the way they do.It keeps us all on the same page.

This, exactly! Nice to see it from your side too, rr. Prior to 2007/08, COL increases were pretty much a given - no longer. But even that aside...make yourself stand out, demonstrate your worth, go beyond the expected. And yes, ask for it (hopefully with an rr-like boss =) )
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    hedonist said:

rr165892 said:

Other side of the issue.

This, exactly! Nice to see it from your side too, rr. Prior to 2007/08, COL increases were pretty much a given - no longer. But even that aside...make yourself stand out, demonstrate your worth, go beyond the expected. And yes, ask for it (hopefully with an rr-like boss =) )
    Where would my buisness be without the hard work and dedication of those who choose to give their time to work along side us?
    We look at it as family.
    And We are lucky to have such awesome people working for us.I want them to feel wanted,needed,essential and appreciated.Rewarding hard working over achieving employees keeps our peeps happy and motivated and ultimately helps the bottom line.Which is the point of this whole thing right?
    I was having a discussion with my wife about certain work related expenses that enhance employee enjoyment but are not nescessarily compensation.

Example.We keep season seats at our local amphitheatre.(where PJ plays when in WPB)Great seats,btw.Sure I use them for showsthat I personally I want to see,and I comp them to important clients and vendors also.But the main thing is we give them to our employees so they can take a plus one and have a great evening.We pick up the food and drink also on those evenings.This week one of the girls in the office is using them to take her hubby to Jimmy Buffet on their anniversary.

It makes the whole office smile and keeps everyone fired up.More employers should take care of their people in creative ways. it will only make them have a stronger more committed ,dedicated,hard working work force .
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

hedonist said:

rr165892 said:

Other side of the issue.

Where would my buisness be without the hard work and dedication of those who choose to give their time to work along side us?
    We look at it as family.
    And We are lucky to have such awesome people working for us.I want them to feel wanted,needed,essential and appreciated.Rewarding hard working over achieving employees keeps our peeps happy and motivated and ultimately helps the bottom line.Which is the point of this whole thing right?
    I was having a discussion with my wife about certain work related expenses that enhance employee enjoyment but are not nescessarily compensation.

Example.We keep season seats at our local amphitheatre.(where PJ plays when in WPB)Great seats,btw.Sure I use them for showsthat I personally I want to see,and I comp them to important clients and vendors also.But the main thing is we give them to our employees so they can take a plus one and have a great evening.We pick up the food and drink also on those evenings.This week one of the girls in the office is using them to take her hubby to Jimmy Buffet on their anniversary.

It makes the whole office smile and keeps everyone fired up.More employers should take care of their people in creative ways. it will only make them have a stronger more committed ,dedicated,hard working work force .
    I wish there were more like you in this world. I have some shitty employers that promised big things and never delivered. You sound like a dream.

I like the way my work does it now. You have your regular salary plus a bonus that comes in March that can be anywhere from 10% to 30% of what your normal salary is. We set up SMART goals in April for the next year so everything can be assigned a number or percentage. Employees propose to our managers what our goals should be based on what you will be doing mostly over the next year. They use that to determine your personal rating which can increase or decrease your bonus. After that they multiple it by a company rating so we feel like we share in the success. So in the end your bonus would be !5% of your salary x 1.15 (your personal rating if you did well) x 1.10 (company performance). That personal rating slots you for your raise as well. So the hard workers get rewarded well.

Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    rr165892 said:

hedonist said:

rr165892 said:

Other side of the issue.

We look at it as family.

RR, what do you do? Where is your business located? Are you hiring? :smiley:
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    SD48277 said:

rr165892 said:

hedonist said:

rr165892 said:

Other side of the issue.

We look at it as family.

RR, what do you do? Where is your business located? Are you hiring? :smiley:
    I'm a pimp(I prefer love broker) and my fleet of man whores is all the rage here in South Florida.
    And yes I'm always looking for new talent.lol

Just kidding,check your PM.:)
  • Options
    wasa1971wasa1971 Calgary, Canada Posts: 2,144
    As an employer as well, we depend mainly on the management of each department to come to us when he or she sees fit. More than half of the company is commission based, and each department supporting the sales staff has the opportunity for quarterly bonuses. The potential to make additional money above your hourly wage is well within reach if you are willing to work and not screw around on company time. That being said, it’s fair to say when a raise is earned, it is given.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,230
    RKCNDY said:

I would have walked in, with an empty glass and said..."uh, I like my glass to be full"

My state has the highest minimum wage, and the city of Seattle just approved the $15/hr pay rate (it's not an instant $15, it's a gradual pay increase over a period of 4 years or something). So even though I only work part time, I make a decent amount per hour. Actually making more per hour now, than I was when I worked at the clinic full time and did 4 different separate functions.

i thought you were self employed?

i've never had to do this as i've always been in sales so it's always been commission based.

what do you do, empty?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    wasa1971 said:

As an employer as well, we depend mainly on the management of each department to come to us when he or she sees fit. More than half of the company is commission based, and each department supporting the sales staff has the opportunity for quarterly bonuses. The potential to make additional money above your hourly wage is well within reach if you are willing to work and not screw around on company time. That being said, it’s fair to say when a raise is earned, it is given.

Love this mindset.

Where I work (and I truly like the company and enjoy what I do), one rather large aspect is handling refinances of our property loans. There's much in the way of coordination, reviewing docs, getting signatures, notarizing, etc. Our field offices have dropped the ball here and there, so a bonus incentive has been implemented. On the one hand, I think it's a great idea but on the other, what about those of us who have not only NOT dropped the ball but passed it along all this time?

Wish people would just do what they need to without the money-carrot. Those are the ones if, were I an employer, would first get my mental and then financial recognition.
  • Options
    "Negotiations are all about controlling things and being in the driver's seat. And you make one tiny mistake, you're dead. I made one tiny mistake...I wore women's clothes."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTmcMpK-gOM
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I knew what that clip was before I even hit "play".

Man, I loved that era of the show.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

yeah i agree. for about 3-4 years that show was comedic gold...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

hedonist said:

yeah i agree. for about 3-4 years that show was comedic gold...
    Have you watched Backstrom yet? They made Dwight and Alcoholic cop but it is definitely Dwight.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    wasa1971 said:

The potential to make additional money above your hourly wage is well within reach if you are willing to work and not screw around on company time. That being said, it’s fair to say when a raise is earned, it is given.

Reminds me of a saying scratched on a bathroom stall.
    "I get paid a nickel. You get paid a dime. That's why I shit on company time."
    and there was a scratched response below that said
    "And that is why I have my dime"
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    edited April 2015
    I hated those conversations with my employer. It always felt like we were following some weird protocol even though we could have dealt with it much faster and smoother. It felt like bargaining at a market in Morokko. And I hated it. You're doing hard work, you're good at your job, you are doing overhours on a regular basis and keep the shit running. Yet you have to go and basically beg for a raise. My worst point was negotiating for two months, then getting a yes and getting a raise of fucking 0.75 cents. Grrrr....
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

i thought you were self employed?

I was full time CEO of RKCNDY Household Industries...still am, I just want to make some vinyl/pj money.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

I need to move to Seattle in four years! Although that might be a bad idea... Lol I move there.. Can't get out of bed for the pain.. Lol