Options

Are you woman enough to be my man?

The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
This lyric has always puzzled me. Thoughts?
Another habit says it's in love with you
Another habit says its long overdue
Another habit like an unwanted friend
I'm so happy with my righteous self

Comments

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    i thought it was a spoof on that sheryl crow song where she says "are you man enough to be my man"
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    ldent42 said:

i thought it was a spoof on that sheryl crow song where she says "are you man enough to be my man"

Hah! It never occurred to me to read it as a spoof :smile:

I've always thought it referred to a man wanting a female partner who was strong enough to sometimes be the "man" (stereotypically); i.e. someone he could rely on.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    edited April 2015
    Well you could look deeply into it, like for instance the possibility that Eddie was touching on the fact that women are just as strong as men and really the expression "are you man enough" means nothing because of it.

Or it could have just been a line.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    I thought the song was representative of different relationships.. ??
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    ehbacon said:

Well you could look deeply into it, like for instance the possibility that Eddie was touching on the fact that women are just as strong as men and really the expression "are you man enough" means nothing because of it.

Or it could have just been a line.

That is how I see it, and the line is puzzling me too. But I love it.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I always saw it as this - :yin_yang:

Not necessarily and actually never 50/50, but balancing each other as needed, filling the voids, putting your footstep or sweat or energy in their place when they aren't able, and them doing that for you.

Being vulnerable enough to ask for a tether and then accept it, embrace it.

And give it, too.

(bandaged hand in hand is - literally I believe - tied to this).

• Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Great answers guys, thanks
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    alexross42alexross42 Posts: 361
    It's a great lyric. I always understood it as addressing the differences and complexities that can exist between men and women (certainly in relationships) and within the song the woman is asking the man if he has the intuition to support her, even if he doesn't always understand the reason why, i.e. can he be open enough to consider things from her perspective even if at times it's completely at odds with his own.
    My Music, 'Crowd of Oaks' - Spotify | Bandcamp

Manchester 2000 :: Cardiff 2000 :: Prague 2006 :: London 2007 :: Manchester 2009 :: London 2009 :: Manchester I 2012 :: Manchester II 2012 :: Milton Keynes 2014 :: London I 2018 :: London II 2018

*BRAD* Birmingham 2013 :: London 2013
  • Options
    I've always just looked at each verse as being a different set of individuals.. I think he's trying to represent love in all fields.. And that part represents the more unorthodox of the relationships.. But I love reading everyone else's perspective! Totally opens the song up some, which is always cool to do!
    hedonist said:

Not necessarily and actually never 50/50, but balancing each other as needed, filling the voids, putting your footstep or sweat or energy in their place when they aren't able, and them doing that for you.

And give it, too.

My favorite so far! ^^^^
  • Options
    Bandaged hand in hand has always been like the equivalent of surviving life's battles together.. Like war wounds if you will..
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Some English Lit major years back deciphered all the album lyrics. Where is that link???
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Some English Lit major years back deciphered all the album lyrics. Where is that link???

That would be a very interesting read!
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Its on here somewhere - I can't seem to find suitable search words!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    VerbasanVerbasan Posts: 39
    The Sheryl Crow song lyric is actually "Are you strong enough to be my man".
    I'd always interpretted it as are you (a) woman enough to be "my man" as in, like a bro or best bud, is she just that perfect a girl that you can consider her your bro, or best friend where gender becomes superflous. But this probably doesnt fly in context of the whole song :P
    "If I knew where it was, I would take you there!"
    2006-LA2
    2009-Universal City 2
    2010-MSG 1
    2013-San Diego/LA 1&2/Oakland/Portland/Spokane/Calgary/Vancouver/Seattle
    2014-Denver/Bridge School Benefit 1
    2015-Mexico City
    2016-MSG 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, EV-Ohana Fest, TOTD LA
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,815
    Basically "do you have the emotional capacity to understand how I feel?" is how I always took it.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I've always wondered about this lyric too.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515

Basically "do you have the emotional capacity to understand how I feel?" is how I always took it.

That's how I always took it as well (kind of a burn for men, haha ;) ).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    hedonist said:

And give it, too.

Exactly.
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,845
    The person is a hermaphrodite (joking).
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    hedonist said:

And give it, too.

This is exactly how I've always interpreted it...I couldn't have worded it better myself, hedonist!
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    ldent42 said:

I agree here.

• Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    I always felt she was asking him if he was a feminist.
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    robbierobbie Posts: 882
    It is a question both sexes in the relationship are asking each other. The male needing not only for her to be his woman, but also enough like him to be his friend (my man), and the female needing the same thing with the line meaning "are you enough like me to be my friend and my partner (my man)" i think it is also what is meant by the line "If im the only one, could i ever be enough?" it seems like that is what is necessary to be "in love" which is difficult to find and why those who find such a partner are the "lucky ones" that is how i have always inturpreted the line. If you think about a man saying it to a woman AND a woman saying it to a man, it works both ways and even means the same thing. Seems pretty cool to me, but what the fuck do i know???
  • Options
    robbie said:

It is a question both sexes in the relationship are asking each other. The male needing not only for her to be his woman, but also enough like him to be his friend (my man), and the female needing the same thing with the line meaning "are you enough like me to be my friend and my partner (my man)" i think it is also what is meant by the line "If im the only one, could i ever be enough?" it seems like that is what is necessary to be "in love" which is difficult to find and why those who find such a partner are the "lucky ones" that is how i have always inturpreted the line. If you think about a man saying it to a woman AND a woman saying it to a man, it works both ways and even means the same thing. Seems pretty cool to me, but what the fuck do i know???

This a good interpretation too!
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,747
    Well if you are just taking that line out of the context of the whole verse I take it as: I'm a man, I'm not supposed to admit it but sometimes I cry and sometimes I need help/support etc. Are you strong enough to be that anchor, because Women are strong but aren't perceived that way by society (try watching a two year old while your wife's in San Diego for a week, then you'll know what I'm talking about).

But the whole verse goes:
    I sometimes realize, that I can only be as good as you'll let me
    Are you Woman enough to be my man? Bandaged hand in hand.

Now seeing it that way I think it means this:
    This guy is in a relationship that is blah. Maybe the girl always puts him down, he doesn't have enough money, no career path, etc. So in his eyes he can only be as successful as she views him. He's asking her if she's strong enough to stand by his side, through anything, for there will be bad times ahead if they're to be successful.
    Remember this is just a lyric/verse in a song all about happiness towards people in love, you can go all the way to the beginning of Hail, Hail and try and figure it out, or just enjoy your own interpretation, which is the best way. (On a side note I've heard EV refer to 'Just Breathe' as a song from a father to a child which made me so happy that my wife and I didn't choose it as our wedding song, and then another night as song from one lover to another (DAMMIT) again, it is all about what your interpretation is).
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    MiiikeMiiike Posts: 436
    edited April 2020
    ""
    Post edited by Miiike on
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,847
    I took it literally since i'm single
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    MiiikeMiiike Posts: 436
    edited April 2020
    I took it literally since i'm single
    ""
    Post edited by Miiike on
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    my interpretation has always been that that line is coming from the woman's point of view and she's asking the narrator if he's like sensitive enough
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    I've always liked it but never took it as anything deeper than "could you be my girl and my best friend?"