High N Dry in California

water companys sell water to each other draining thier resevors and then ask for a rate increase (I learned this from a man that worked for Padre Dam in Lakedide Ca.) and this ass hat Jerry Brown can kiss my ass , all this will end up costing the consumers more money in the end...charging us for water they say we don't have..what bunch of fuckin punks.

Godfdather.

ECHO LAKE, Calif. (AP) — California Gov. Jerry Brown aka.asshat ordered state officials Wednesday to impose mandatory water restrictions for the first time in history as the state grapples with a serious drought.

Standing in dry, brown grass at a site that he said normally would be snow-covered this time of year, Brown announced he had signed an executive order requiring the State Water Resources Control Board to implement measures in cities and towns to cut water usage by 25 percent compared with 2013 levels.

The move will affect residents, businesses, farmers and other users.

"We're in a historic drought and that demands unprecedented action," Brown said at the news conference at Echo Summit in the Sierra Nevada, where state water officials found no snow on the ground for their manual survey of the snowpack. "We have to pull together and save water in every way we can."

Brown's order also will require campuses, golf courses, cemeteries and other large landscapes to significantly cut water use; direct local governments to replace 50 million square feet of lawns throughout the state with drought-tolerant landscaping; and create a temporary rebate program for consumers who replace old water-sucking appliances with more efficient ones.

"We're in a new era; the idea of your nice little green grass getting water every day, that's going to be a thing of the past," Brown said.

The order calls on local water agencies to implement tiered water pricing that charges higher rates as more water is used and requires agricultural users to report more water use information to state regulators.

Brown's office said that would boost the state's ability to enforce laws against illegal water diversions and water waste.

The order also prohibits new homes and developments from using drinkable water for irrigation if the structures lack water-efficient drip systems. In addition, the watering of decorative grasses on public street medians is banned.

The snowpack has been in decline all year, with electronic measurements in March showing the statewide snow water equivalent at 19 percent of the historical average for that date.

Snow supplies about a third of the state's water, and a higher snowpack translates to more water in California reservoirs to meet demand in summer and fall.

There was no snow at the site of Wednesday's survey near Echo Summit, about 90 miles east of Sacramento.

"It is such an unprecedented lack of snow, it is way, way below records," said Frank Gehrke, chief of snow surveys for the California Department of Water Resources.

Officials say the snowpack is far below the historic lows of 1977 and 2014, when it was 25 percent of normal on April 1 — the time when the snowpack is generally at its peak.

Brown previously declared a drought emergency and stressed the need for sustained water conservation. But he has come under increasing pressure to be more aggressive as the state enters its fourth year of drought.

Comments

• badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Ya you guys def have a water problem no doubt.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Would you prefer to use it all up at current rates and prices? How much are you going to pay for water when you have to truck it in? How much is food going to cost when the crops fail?

Golf courses in southern California need to be SHUT DOWN...sorry charlies, bad investment.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    GF, you're so pissed you misspelled your sign-off name =)

Yeah, we're nearing the soon-going-to-be-fucked stage out here - and don't get me started on the DWP and its ineptitude.

AND the jackasses who seemingly every day manage to shear off a fire hydrant.

Maybe a silly question, but these local ski areas such as Big Bear, Mammoth, etc...many manufacture snow. Are they going to be part of the cutbacks as well?
    Nestle needs to be SHUT DOWN in Sacramento where they are bottling water for the worlds biggest idiots.
    Also, I'm all for rationing along with the tiered rates - let the yahoos who waste or use more pay more. But, money can't make water. The resource will continue to be depleted, regardless.
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I'm wondering if the AP used the term aka asshat. Lol
  • hedonist said:

Yeah, we're nearing the soon-going-to-be-fucked stage out here - and don't get me started on the DWP and its ineptitude.

Maybe a silly question, but these local ski areas such as Big Bear, Mammoth, etc...many manufacture snow. Are they going to be part of the cutbacks as well?

It might just be me and all my kooky conspiracy theories I conjure... but I think his sign-off represents an effort to gradually morph from Godfather to Gandalf.

You think?
    "My brain's a good brain!"

hedonist said:

It might just be me and all my kooky conspiracy theories I conjure... but I think his sign-off represents an effort to gradually morph from Godfather to Gandalf.

You think?
    Or...Gandalfather :bee:
    hedonist said:

hedonist said:

You think?
    That's baddass right there.
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    It's got a nice ring to it.it rolls right off.
  • rgambs said:

hedonist said:

hedonist said:

You think?
    That's baddass right there.
    Yup. No question. This guy is on fire.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I can see why people might get hot under the collar about political maneuverings (although calling people asshats...) around water issues. My biggest concern is that we really don't have time to throw this stuff back and forth too long. Unless we get some freak spring storms, this summer is going to be brutal, dry, and very problematic for most of our way over-inflated population.

GF, you said, "charging us for water they say we don't have". D you really not believe we have a water shortage problem or am I not reading that correctly?

Also, to write Brown off as an "asshat" does little to acknowledge the reality of some of the obvious things he is proposing:

"Brown's order also will require campuses, golf courses, cemeteries and other large landscapes to significantly cut water use; direct local governments to replace 50 million square feet of lawns throughout the state with drought-tolerant landscaping; and create a temporary rebate program for consumers who replace old water-sucking appliances with more efficient ones."

That's just common sense stuff and I'm glad Brown had the sense to say it.

I'm telling you folks, I don't like to sound alarmist but I've lived in this state most of my almost 64 years and I've never seen anything like this. I can see the large crystal range of the Sierras when I go to work and they look like July or August right now. There just isn't musch snow left up there- just a few patches. The dust around our place is as bad as it usually is late summer. Allergies are at an all time high this year because we had no freeze and nothing went dormant over winter and everything is blooming two months ahead of time. The air makes the sunset each evening look orange.

This will get interesting.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    .........yes we really have a water shortage but the way the water companys handle it is sick ! they pump water from one location to another selling it to each other then we get the butt end of the deal with rate hikes and cut backs all the while the water companys still profit, I've been here all my life and I've seen this shit come and go and the end is always the same .....we pay more... and one other thing that really pisses me off is that California has a fucked up method of storing rain and snow run off, every rainy season I see millions of gallons of water run down the san diego river and right into the ocean...but we have a toilet to sprinkler facility in Santee ??? we pay for it but it's only used on city properties, water is the most abundant resorce on the fuckin planet and when it stops raining for a few years gov. and city officals get their panties in wad and tell us to conserve and PAY more..how about this, why don't asshats like brown put some of that ransom money to use and build a better method of water capture and storage ?

Godfather.
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Capitalism at it's finest
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

.........yes we really have a water shortage but the way the water companys handle it is sick ! they pump water from one location to another selling it to each other then we get the butt end of the deal with rate hikes and cut backs all the while the water companys still profit, I've been here all my life and I've seen this shit come and go and the end is always the same .....we pay more... and one other thing that really pisses me off is that California has a fucked up method of storing rain and snow run off, every rainy season I see millions of gallons of water run down the san diego river and right into the ocean...but we have a toilet to sprinkler facility in Santee ??? we pay for it but it's only used on city properties, water is the most abundant resorce on the fuckin planet and when it stops raining for a few years gov. and city officals get their panties in wad and tell us to conserve and PAY more..how about this, why don't asshats like brown put some of that ransom money to use and build a better method of water capture and storage ?

Godfather.

I get your frustration over the way capitalism (thank you, bb) is messing with the infrastructure. On the other hand, beyond that the problem is much bigger. Yes, we could create more damns but that would ruin more rivers and streams and cause further problems down the road (I'm totally in favor of taking damns down, not building new ones). And as it is, we are draining our aquifers very quickly. Water may be abundant on earth, but not everywhere.

And GF, this may be more than just that "it stops raining for a few years"- climate scientists strongly suspect that we are entering an extended period of drought that could last several decades. In fact, the 20th century was an unusually wet period of time in California:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/print/2008/02/drying-west/kunzig-text

We need to face reality and both adjust our water usage (bye bye car washes, lawns, swimming pools, almond orchards, etc., etc.) and greatly reduce the population of this state. If we don't do those things soon, we will be the asshats (what ever the hell those are, haha!)

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    brianlux said:

Godfather.

I get your frustration over the way capitalism (thank you, bb) is messing with the infrastructure. On the other hand, beyond that the problem is much bigger. Yes, we could create more damns but that would ruin more rivers and streams and cause further problems down the road (I'm totally in favor of taking damns down, not building new ones). And as it is, we are draining our aquifers very quickly. Water may be abundant on earth, but not everywhere.

And GF, this may be more than just that "it stops raining for a few years"- climate scientists strongly suspect that we are entering an extended period of drought that could last several decades. In fact, the 20th century was an unusually wet period of time in California:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/print/2008/02/drying-west/kunzig-text

We need to face reality and both adjust our water usage (bye bye car washes, lawns, swimming pools, almond orchards, etc., etc.) and greatly reduce the population of this state. If we don't do those things soon, we will be the asshats (what ever the hell those are, haha!)

less people in ca. ....well guess what, 1 in 10 people in Los Angeles are not US citizens and the numbers in the rest of the state are probably close, but back to the "no dam's idea" we are no longer a hunter gatherer tribe of people and the few dams we have are critical to our survuval , I can only imagine how much rain and snow run off goes straight into the ocean even during our dry times, small dams and pumping stations would help quite a bit, and what pisses me just as much about this stuff is that brown and asshats like him are NOT pro-active they more reactive and the extent of that is "lets cut back and charge more and set fines" Ca. state government just sucks ! everything is taxed or fined to a breaking point ......time to move out of this state, wish I could bring the weather with me LOL!!

Godfather.

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Keep putting bandages on the re-opening external wound, instead of examining the cause of the wound and figuring out a way to prevent it from re-opening. That's just the good ol' American way these days.
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    The planet will survive. It is fine.

We on the other hand.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    edited April 2015
    I'm with brian on this one. This looks to be really, really bad. Did anyone else see articles like this in the past couple of months? imagescientificamerican.com/article/california-s-drought-may-be-worst-in-a-millennium/

Worst drought in a millennium because of dry conditions coupled with extreme heat. Fucked, indeed. And it won't just be Californians. The rest of the country can kiss their food goodbye.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • I'm convinced that if there's another world crisis and war, it will be over fresh water.
    We need, at least for the foreseeable future, to put the kibosh on golf courses. Or can folks just play on non-grass or brown grass? I'm not a golfer, so...

Make energy-efficient appliances built to last so that the investment isn't lost as soon as they need to be replaced (seems sooner and sooner). Maybe extend the rebate period. We received no incentive to replace our toilets, shower heads - financially, anyway. It was the right thing to do, but would've been nice.

Put huge-ticket items such as the rail line on hold and divert state funds toward fixing the old-ass pipes running under our cities. Shitload of water main breaks lately.

More education for people who just don't get it (yet - I hope).
    I heard George Clooney could indeed make water from sand in California.Did I get my facts correct?
    hedonist said:

We need, at least for the foreseeable future, to put the kibosh on golf courses. Or can folks just play on non-grass or brown grass? I'm not a golfer, so...

Make energy-efficient appliances built to last so that the investment isn't lost as soon as they need to be replaced (seems sooner and sooner). Maybe extend the rebate period. We received no incentive to replace our toilets, shower heads - financially, anyway. It was the right thing to do, but would've been nice.

Put huge-ticket items such as the rail line on hold and divert state funds toward fixing the old-ass pipes running under our cities. Shitload of water main breaks lately.

More education for people who just don't get it (yet - I hope).

Amen to that! All of it really, but particularly the bolded.
    Add to that ceasing operations at the Nestle bottling plant where they bottle tens of millions of gallons of scarce Cali water to sell to folks in the Land Of Ten Thousand lakes and elsewhere. I know of people who have clean "free" well water who still buy bottled water that very well may come from a drought stricken region. Slap My Mother Fucking Head!
    rr165892 said:

I heard George Clooney could indeed make water from sand in California.Did I get my facts correct?

Is this an actual process? George Jesus Clooney!
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120

I'm convinced that if there's another world crisis and war, it will be over fresh water.

Unfortunately, this will be true for our future.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892

I'm convinced that if there's another world crisis and war, it will be over fresh water.

Have you seen the documentary Blue Gold? It talks about that very thing. It's definitely a huge concern.

There is another about the Colorado River supplying the entire southwest that I'd like to see as well.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
    Las Vegas shouldn't even exist.
    hedonist said:

rr165892 said:

Is this an actual process? George Jesus Clooney!
    Ah ,yeah!!!! Sheesh Hedo get with the program.Tom Brady has this super power as well.
    In all seriousness I feel for you guys.Cali is always getting fucked with something.
    Shit, we got more Aqua then we know what to do with.Lets build a pipeline.Take all you want.
    rr165892 said:

In all seriousness I feel for you guys.Cali is always getting fucked with something.
    Shit, we got more Aqua then we know what to do with.Lets build a pipeline.Take all you want.

Texas would crack the pipe and bleed it all out lol Cali would still be effed.