Options

Periscope / Meerkat - will it change the experience?

You think these kind of apps will change the way we follow the future concerts from home? You think it will start being used by fans in SA this fall?
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Great question. I was just playing around with Periscope yesterday after I read that they were acquired by Twitter. I'm sure it will be more tightly integrated with Twitter over time. A local professional women's soccer team here in Seattle will be using Periscope to "broadcast" its first pre-season game just as an experiment, so I'm thinking we'll see a lot of new applications of live video streaming, since everyone will be carrying around the ability to stream live events now,
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    1vs51vs5 Posts: 289
    I love the idea. A few issues though. #1 - Data will get expensive. #2 - Battery will die.
    My belief is that you will be able to search by location (concert for ex) soon and that will be great for "scoping" in on a show.
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    All we need is more people holding up their phones.....
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Never heard of it
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    1vs51vs5 Posts: 289
    Twitter owns Periscope and I think it's a better overall product. Both are currently for iOS only. I would agree that it's annoying and distracting to see people holding up their phones at shows. But, I can't say that I don't enjoy watching a good video on youtube afterwards.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,933

I hate it, at least up front. But someone a bit back or upp in the bleachers and the ppl around won't mind... then sure.... stream the show for us :)

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527

Please no.. Enough already!! These idiots are going to
    Make it where we can't even bring phones in to shows now!! Really?? How come people get so excited over the accessibility to steal shit??? Seriously?? You want to see the show?? GO TO THE MOTHER FUCKING SHOW!!! Sorry for the rant, but theft is theft is theft.. And when you rely on others who've PAID to get in to an event to take you along for the ride on their phones, you eradicate the sale of what ticket you'd have held.. That is stealing. Plain simple, TRUTH. Can't stand this stuff.. Sorry done preaching now.. Someone kick the soap box out from under me, and let the lynching commence!
  • Options
    By idiots I mean the assholes using these apps to 'steal' shows or events.. Sorry, if this offends done,, but people are just so comfortable with taking things that aren't meant to be theirs.. Mans it's appalling!
  • Options

Please no.. Enough already!! These idiots are going to
    Make it where we can't even bring phones in to shows now!! Really?? How come people get so excited over the accessibility to steal shit??? Seriously?? You want to see the show?? GO TO THE MOTHER FUCKING SHOW!!! Sorry for the rant, but theft is theft is theft.. And when you rely on others who've PAID to get in to an event to take you along for the ride on their phones, you eradicate the sale of what ticket you'd have held.. That is stealing. Plain simple, TRUTH. Can't stand this stuff.. Sorry done preaching now.. Someone kick the soap box out from under me, and let the lynching commence!

I hate it, at least up front. But someone a bit back or upp in the bleachers and the ppl around won't mind... then sure.... stream the show for us :)

This was what I wanted to quote..^^^
  • Options

By idiots I mean the assholes using these apps to 'steal' shows or events..

Is this even a thing? Or what do you mean by "stealing the show"?

I can't go to South America or some festival in Australia. If someone would livestream 4-5 songs from the show so you can experience it just as it happens... what is there to be against?

Ppl have posted on here that PJ should webstream their shows for money – but they haven't done that. Ppl hang out in relayer-threads on here or on facebook. THis is just sort of a natural progression and not close to stealing...

• Options

I can't go to South America or some festival in Australia. If someone would livestream 4-5 songs from the show so you can experience it just as it happens... what is there to be against?

Ppl have posted on here that PJ should webstream their shows for money – but they haven't done that. Ppl hang out in relayer-threads on here or on facebook. THis is just sort of a natural progression and not close to stealing...

When folks are watching the same thing you see, for free, without paying for it.. That is stealing. I know these days people can't wrap their brains around that, cause it is the norm to get what we want for free these days.. But when you have someone sitting in a venue, recording or streaming an event, so others can see it for free with the click of a button.. All those people that are sitting on their couches watching, sans paid entrance, what they are watching is stolen feed. It really is sad how easily things like this are 'explained away' with the simple term.. 'It's only natural we progress to this.' I just get so angry on how acceptable it is to take things that weren't meant to be yours. As for the SETLIST threads, posts etc. that's not the same thing. That's just forwarding to present from future.. ( in other words, you're getting the SETLIST now versus later. But those people aren't stealing anything. They are relating info.. But streaming a show is usually done on a PPV format. As earlier stated the band doesn't seem very privy to this.. But if they're getting paid for that streaming, then that's all that much more people getting to see the show than fit in the venue.. Good for the event-ers! But for people to think it's ok to just watch from afar, with no payment, or consequence then you are stealing from the act or person you're watching.. I too have been guilty of it.. I watched a few songs streamed from PJ20.. But felt guilty as hell afterwards.. I've never done so since. So it's not like I am all guilt free. I just gave very strong convictions when it comes to moral standings in theft. And streaming a show for others that are NOT paying for said show is stealing money from the artist being streamed.. ( NOTE TO THE BAND.. IMAGINE THE INTAKE IF YOU GUYS WOULD STREAMCAST SHOWS!!!) thanks for putting up with my right sing ranting!
  • Options
    Wing.. Sing.. Lmao, Given To Fly.. Off the handle!!
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    Phones are one reason I dislike GA tickets. I'm short, so I end up with someone standing in front of me that just watches the entire show throw their screen, and I can't see the stage. A few pics are fine, but most people are going to come out with crappy, unwatchable videos.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options

When folks are watching the same thing you see, for free, without paying for it.. That is stealing. I know these days people can't wrap their brains around that, cause it is the norm to get what we want for free these days.. But when you have someone sitting in a venue, recording or streaming an event, so others can see it for free with the click of a button.. All those people that are sitting on their couches watching, sans paid entrance, what they are watching is stolen feed. It really is sad how easily things like this are 'explained away' with the simple term.. 'It's only natural we progress to this.' I just get so angry on how acceptable it is to take things that weren't meant to be yours. As for the SETLIST threads, posts etc. that's not the same thing. That's just forwarding to present from future.. ( in other words, you're getting the SETLIST now versus later. But those people aren't stealing anything. They are relating info.. But streaming a show is usually done on a PPV format. As earlier stated the band doesn't seem very privy to this.. But if they're getting paid for that streaming, then that's all that much more people getting to see the show than fit in the venue.. Good for the event-ers! But for people to think it's ok to just watch from afar, with no payment, or consequence then you are stealing from the act or person you're watching.. I too have been guilty of it.. I watched a few songs streamed from PJ20.. But felt guilty as hell afterwards.. I've never done so since. So it's not like I am all guilt free. I just gave very strong convictions when it comes to moral standings in theft. And streaming a show for others that are NOT paying for said show is stealing money from the artist being streamed.. ( NOTE TO THE BAND.. IMAGINE THE INTAKE IF YOU GUYS WOULD STREAMCAST SHOWS!!!) thanks for putting up with my right sing ranting!
    You do understand that this streaming would not be of that good quality, neither video nor sound, right?

Taking pictures of the show and posting would also be stealing than accourding to you? Or recording a bootleg – something ppl lived for before 2000 when PJ jumped on that themselves. Do you ever listen to audience bootlegs cuz that is stealing you know.

I understand what you are saying, and I'm not saying it's even close to being in the arena.

But your reaction is a bit silly – in my world atleast.

• Options

You do understand that this streaming would not be of that good quality, neither video nor sound, right?

Taking pictures of the show and posting would also be stealing than accourding to you? Or recording a bootleg – something ppl lived for before 2000 when PJ jumped on that themselves. Do you ever listen to audience bootlegs cuz that is stealing you know.

I understand what you are saying, and I'm not saying it's even close to being in the arena.

But your reaction is a bit silly – in my world atleast.

Like I said I have been guilty if this offense myself. And as for the bootlegs, I buy the official ones. But USED to trade boots UTT like many others. As for the taking of pics, how is that stealing if it allowed??? Now.... In instances like with Ed's solo shows and he kindly asks we not take photos.. Then you would be correct. I'm not sure where I stand on you tube.. Still weighing that one... But I see your point as well, and thank you for the sincerity in your debate. I appreciate that we can all have different opinions, yet still get along! :-)