Options

What (other) bootlegs are you listening to right now?

DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
In the vein of (what I assume is) the Pearl Jam-centric bootleg thread (and so as not to step on any toes there, lol), I thought it would be interesting to see who's listening to what (true, lol?) non-PJ bootlegs others are listening to (should it maybe be broadened to include live albums, lol?). Also a good time to acknowledge just how spoiled we are as Pearl Jam fans when it comes to recordings of live shows.

Right now I'm listening to Led Zeppelin at Spokane, Washington, 1968-12-30 (man, is this one rough, lol).
"The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022

Comments

• Options
    Now on to San Francisco, 1969-04-27, still the Zep. This one sounds much better, but seems to jump around on the copy I have. There also seem to be some issues with the bass a couple songs in, but these guys are still amazing.

As a sidenote, I've long said Led Zeppelin was my favourite band ever (even though I'm too young to have experienced them directly, lol). I'm realizing that that might no longer be true, they may be number 2 to Pearl Jam, lol.

• Options
    pjfaninindianapjfaninindiana Northeast Indiana Posts: 311
    DMB- Boston 2 from 2006
  • Options

DMB- Boston 2 from 2006

Glad I'm not the only one playing this game, lol.

Listened to Warrensville Heights, USA, 1969-07-20 (still the Zep, lol), decent but unremarkable, unfortunately hindered by it pretty much only coming through the left headphone, lol.

Also listened to Lewisville, USA, 1969-08-31, this one sounds like it might be a soundboard recording, excellent sound, and some blazing performances on this one.

Finally, also listened to Vancouver, Canada, 1970-03-31, good performance and decent sound.

So far, Lewisville's the best of the bunch, 12 more Zeppelin shows to go in the collection, lol, however a friend gave me a gift card I used to buy the Boston Experiment, so it's back to PJ for a bit for me, lol.

• Options
    It's a good idea for a thread. I will post more as I listen to them. Still have 8 more DMB shows to go through from the Live Trax series. So it will be a lot of listening for sure lol.
  • Options
    DMB- St Louis 2008
  • Options
    Still with the Zep, just finished L.A. 1970-09-04. Decent sound, but what stands out (as it should on any bootleg, lol) is the band's performance, almost as good as the Lewisville show. And Bron-Yr-Aur live (not the Stomp, lol), love it!
    Up next is Tokyo, 1971-09-24.

• Options
    Tokyo was good, with a blazing Whole Lotta Love medley, but it was unfortunately hampered by what can best be described as low-end overload, making songs like Moby Dick...baffling, at best, lol.
    Now on to Osaka, 1971-09-29, pretty decent so far. One interesting thing with these Japan shows is (like the concert from the BBC Sessions) hearing songs from the fourth album before that album's release. Crowds seem to be universally stunned on hearing the then-unfamiliar Stairway To Heaven, lol.
    I've been posting so much since I'm doing "quality control" on my mp3s, specifically the boots I've downloaded over the years.

• Options
    Smashing Pumpkins NYC 2 2008. Forgot they had a horn player on this tour. Was a nice addition to a number of the songs. Great to hear a song like Crestfallen live. Other two standouts were 99 Floors and Sunkissed.
  • Options
    Nice, I recently listened to the Pumpkins part of a show I was at (Toronto, 1991-10-30), saw them live a couple times over the years.
    Missed posting a few (still Zep, lol). Adelaide, Australia (1972-02-19) and Liverpool, England (1973-01-14), neither of which were particularly remarkable.
    New Orleans (1973-05-14, also known as The Drag Queen) was near-soundboard audio, good performance as well.
    Chicago (1973-07-06) was pretty decent with some excellent performances. Only hindered by mid-song dropoffs (to be somewhat expected, but here they don't resume the song), as well as the first (vinyl) side seems to be played as last (so far the mp3s are each performance as a single mp3, except Vancouver).
    Dallas (1975-03-04) was again possibly soundboard, with an excellent set list and performances.
    Now I'm into the Live Aid set they did (1985-07-13). I've already seen it, so I know it's not their best performance, lol, but the audio on this copy is awful, obviously off a much played tape on a vcr, lol.
    Next up will be The Zeppelin Express Physical Rocket (1975-05-25).

• Options
    Wow, that's cool you saw SP in 91. That would be cool to see a band before they become huge. Would've been something to be at one of those Zeppelin shows where Stairway was played without it being known. To hear a song first that would go on to be an all time classic. That would be some bragging rights for sure!
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    Avett Brothers - Live, Vol 3
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Guided By Voices - Asheville, NC 2000
    Pretty fun show as all GBV shows seem to be. Features covers of Baba, as well as parts of I Am The Walrus and Wild Horses.
  • Options
    The Zeppelin Express Physical Rocket was pretty damn good, followed it with For Badgeholders Only (L.A. 1977-06-23), which reminded me that I also need to listen to Badgeholders back-to-back with Listen To This Eddie (L.A. 1977-06-21), since it seems someone substituted cd1 from Listen as cd1 of Badgeholders (stage banter's pretty much word-for-word, as well as not fully matching the vinyl copy of Badgeholders I've got).
    Those are on the backburner for now though, since Live At The Gorge just arrived in the mail today, so I'll be listening to that the next couple days, lol.

• Options
    Got through 3 more DMB shows this week. Hartford 2000. Then Red Rocks 2 & 3 from 2005.
  • Options
    Finishing up DMB Red Rocks 4 from 2005
  • Options

Nice, not too familiar with them, in fact it took a couple posts before I realized you were listening to the Dave Mathews Band (I hope I am correct on that, lol). I know they're up there in terms of live reputation, so I'll likely give them a try at some point.

One thing all this bootleg listening I've been doing recently has "inspired" me to do is go through all my music files and give all my boots a listen. I know I've got a few Pumpkins shows, some of which I've not yet listened to, lol. Got a couple Dead shows as well as some Rage Against The Machine too. After Live At The Gorge, of course, lol (listening to the third show right now).

Then I'll start going through my official live albums, lol.

• Options
    Did the "bootleg search" last night, found more than I remembered I had, lol. Kicking off the next wave with a Police boot from 1980 called Crimewatch (not sure of its background, but it sounds good so far).

• Options
    Listened to a Thievery Corporation show from 26 August 2006, groovy tunes, though the sound was a bit muddy.
    Currently enjoying Rage Against The Machine, 11-06-99 (comes up as The Palace Of Exile), hard-hitting performance with good sound quality, only downside is my copy has annoying almost 1 second breaks between each song. Worth the listen all the same, lol.
    Expect to listen to a Cypress Hill show from 27 October 2007 later this evening.

• Options

Nice, not too familiar with them, in fact it took a couple posts before I realized you were listening to the Dave Mathews Band (I hope I am correct on that, lol). I know they're up there in terms of live reputation, so I'll likely give them a try at some point.

One thing all this bootleg listening I've been doing recently has "inspired" me to do is go through all my music files and give all my boots a listen. I know I've got a few Pumpkins shows, some of which I've not yet listened to, lol. Got a couple Dead shows as well as some Rage Against The Machine too. After Live At The Gorge, of course, lol (listening to the third show right now).

Haha, yeah you are right. Dave Matthews Band. I'm really loving their Live Trax discs. Good packaging featuring pics from the shows. And REAL CD's, not CDRs which is awesome! Overall a great live band, though sometimes the jams do drag on a bit too long on rare occasion. Speaking of Live at the Gorge, there's a DMB has a box set from there as well, which i'll get to soon I hope.
  • Options
    Another Pumpkins show. Denver 2008. Pretty kick ass show! Nice acoustic version of 1979.
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Listening to a playlist of various Stones bootlegs from 72/73. Brussels Affair (first show, not the official one), Fort Worth Express, Backstrap Jacket, Philadelphia Express, Welcome To New York.

Before that I was listening to a playlist I have of Zeppelin stuff. Mainly official stuff: Song Remains The Same, BBC Sessions, etc. But it does have some "Listen To This Eddie". Which is the only Zeppelin bootleg I have, but I've been meaning to check out more.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Haha, yeah you are right. Dave Matthews Band. I'm really loving their Live Trax discs. Good packaging featuring pics from the shows. And REAL CD's, not CDRs which is awesome! Overall a great live band, though sometimes the jams do drag on a bit too long on rare occasion. Speaking of Live at the Gorge, there's a DMB has a box set from there as well, which i'll get to soon I hope.
    Nice, since I'm a fan of the Grateful Dead, I quite enjoy extended jams. I'll have to bug my cousin for some of DMB's music to check them out, lol.

Cypress Hill was a decent quality, high energy show that covered their whole output well. It did remind me how behind I am on Cypress, last album I've got is Stoned Raiders (2004ish?).

Now onto a 3-cd compilation I made of various acts that performed at the several Live 8 concerts from 2 June 2005. Not sure of the sourcing, but it's at least near-soundboard.

Edit: My bad, Live 8 was July 2nd, 2005, not June. Finishing off that set listening to the Pink Floyd reunion set.
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

• Options

Listening to a playlist of various Stones bootlegs from 72/73. Brussels Affair (first show, not the official one), Fort Worth Express, Backstrap Jacket, Philadelphia Express, Welcome To New York.

Before that I was listening to a playlist I have of Zeppelin stuff. Mainly official stuff: Song Remains The Same, BBC Sessions, etc. But it does have some "Listen To This Eddie". Which is the only Zeppelin bootleg I have, but I've been meaning to check out more.

Cool, BBC Sessions is one of my favourite live compilations, period. Like some of the shows I listened to earlier, it's neat listening to the crowd be introduced to songs from the fourth album. You can hear a pin drop during Stairway, lol.

One of the high points of Badgeholders is that Keith Moon sits in on Moby Dick as well as Rock & Roll.

• Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399

Cool, BBC Sessions is one of my favourite live compilations, period. Like some of the shows I listened to earlier, it's neat listening to the crowd be introduced to songs from the fourth album. You can hear a pin drop during Stairway, lol.

One of the high points of Badgeholders is that Keith Moon sits in on Moby Dick as well as Rock & Roll.
    Yeah, BBC Sessions has been a favorite of mine since high school. I believe I read somewhere not not ago that it used to be an unofficial bootleg at one time. I only found out about it when the official version was released when I was in high school. I listened to them so much I've probably gone through 3 copies over the years. Before I got an iPod.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options

Nice, since I'm a fan of the Grateful Dead, I quite enjoy extended jams. I'll have to bug my cousin for some of DMB's music to check them out, lol.

Right on, hope you enjoy!!
  • Options

Right on, hope you enjoy!!
    A DMB concert from Central Park in 2003 was on PBS last night, so it's been DVR'd, lol.

Listened to a few Smashing Pumpkins shows the last couple days while out and about. In order: 1988-10-15 (Live at the Cabaret Metro), 1989-09-10 (Chicago, notable because of the drum machine), Shine (1990-06-16, Madison WI), Party All Night (1991-02-12, New York, NY), 1992-01-19 (Paard, Den Haag), 1993-08-14 (Chicago), Lollapalooza 1994 (1994-09-04). Apparently I'd never listened to these shows after I downloaded them, because the songs on the first two shows were all new to me, lol.

Currently listening to 2000-11-29, Chicago, the "second to last show" the first time they broke up, lol.

• Options
    Now on to Zwan, Paris, France, 2003-02-08. An acoustic set by an underrated band, in my opinion, lol.

• Options
    Next up, Billy Corgan, 2004-04-19, as I watch some playoff hockey, lol. After that it'll be back to the Pumpkins, at the Fillmore West, 2007-07-25.

• Options

Now on to Zwan, Paris, France, 2003-02-08. An acoustic set by an underrated band, in my opinion, lol.

I loved Zwan as well! Great album!
  • Options
    Now checking out Guided By Voices- Atlanta 2003