Options

Slowest Year Since 2002

Comments

• Options
    63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    edited March 2015
    Thank God.... My whole summer/fall is clogged up between a bunch of other shows so this couldn't have worked out better.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    We could use a couple of US shows even in a slow year.
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited March 2015
    LukinFan said:

A tour (or a couple of shows) in the southeast in support of Lightning Bolt would be nice.

It's actually fucking bullshit.2008 was last proper tour.We got Pensicola and ATL in 2012 but Cmon.and spare me they lame"well the fans suck down there" or "Jeff don't like ATL because he had shit stolen" or "Ed has a problem w Fl laws"etc....

They have neglected one whole region of this country and a large population count of fans.

While The NE and Cali get an over abundance of shows on multiple nights.

PJ should take a page from Foo Fighters and reconnect to their roots.Play some one off small venues,drop into a small rock club,mix it up.who cares if your promoting a new album?Your fucking PJ,you could play tour after tour of greatest hits for a decade and sell out every show.Remember the days when it felt like PJ wanted more fan interaction? Seems like well over a decade ago.
    Im happy they are taking the glowing hanging balls (same set up last 2 tours)on the road to South America but it would be nice to catch a couple of Southeast non festival shows every once in a while.
    Cmon guys your better then that.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    rr165892 said:

LukinFan said:

A tour (or a couple of shows) in the southeast in support of Lightning Bolt would be nice.

It's actually fucking bullshit.2008 was last proper tour.We got Pensicola and ATL in 2012 but Cmon.and spare me they lame"well the fans suck down there" or "Jeff don't like ATL because he had shit stolen" or "Ed has a problem w Fl laws"etc....

They have neglected one whole region of this country and a large population count of fans.

While The NE and Cali get an over abundance of shows on multiple nights.

PJ should take a page from Foo Fighters and reconnect to their roots.Play some one off small venues,drop into a small rock club,mix it up.who cares if your promoting a new album?Your fucking PJ,you could play tour after tour of greatest hits for a decade and sell out every show.Remember the days when it felt like PJ wanted more fan interaction? Seems like well over a decade ago.
    Im happy they are taking the glowing hanging balls (same set up last 2 tours)on the road to South America but it would be nice to catch a couple of Southeast non festival shows every once in a while.
    Tell em, man!!!
    :clap:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Lets hope there are a few shows before or after Global Citizen. It would be a shame to load up all of the gear for one show.
  • Options
    Um, didn't they say they were taking a break this year at the end of last year's tour, people?
  • Options

Um, didn't they say they were taking a break this year at the end of last year's tour, people?

I would say December to September is taking a break.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,841

how long of a break do you need to recover from three weeks worth of touring?
    maybe one month? two at the most?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    I figure they're all just doing other things in their life for a while.... I get the feeling that the band members aren't as obsessed with Pearl Jam as we all are. :lol:;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,104
    rr165892 said:

I think it's hard to compare the Foo Fighters to PJ. Even on the tours we consider to be big PJ tours, they weren't really that big. When you look at tours other rock bands were doing, PJ tours have always been small in comparison (except maybe their first few years). You'd have rock bands having tours so large they spanned years, but in the day pj would play a 3 leg tour (2 n.a. legs, 1 overseas leg) then they would have a year or two where they might play a couple of shows.

My point is Pearl Jam never has been a band that likes to tour a lot. Their tours (save the first few years) have never been abundantly large. Thus it's hard to compare them to a band like the Foo Fighters who love to go out and do really big tours. I think PJ knows they like to keep their tours small. If they want to tour for 2 or 3 months/yr do they want to spend that time playing to 3000 people or to 18000 people. I think that's why your not going to see them play small venues.

BTW there's reason they play the NorthEast and California a lot. They know they can sellout the shows. Contrary to popular opinion I don't think they can sellout shows everywhere. I remember there being quite a number of extra tickets up here for the NorthWest shows in 2013 (except Seattle). Luckily we're next to Seattle which I think they feel obligated to play from time to time, so we get a few shows around the Seattle area to go with it.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited April 2015
    Zod said:

BTW there's reason they play the NorthEast and California a lot. They know they can sellout the shows. Contrary to popular opinion I don't think they can sellout shows everywhere. I remember there being quite a number of extra tickets up here for the NorthWest shows in 2013 (except Seattle). Luckily we're next to Seattle which I think they feel obligated to play from time to time, so we get a few shows around the Seattle area to go with it.

There were a good many empty seats in Charlottesville in 2013 as well.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515

Zod said:

There weren't empty seats anywhere in front of the stage in Vancouver 2013, but they tried to sell seats behind the stage on both levels, and by 2 days before the show entire sections were still empty back there, so they pulls most of those seats altogether and moved anyone who had tix behind the stage down to the lower level (and that wasn't full). So no, they can't sell out shows everywhere at all (mind you, if there hadn't also been a show in Seattle right after, that show would have sold out in a flash - in fact, 2 shows would probably have been appropriate without a Seattle show). So yes, these smaller tours seem like a necessity IMO.... OR, they could lower ticket prices by $30 and probably sell out everywhere.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,841

Zod said:

Charlottesville isn't the northeast. I would say that s the beginning of the south.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Zod said:

Charlottesville isn't the northeast. I would say that s the beginning of the south.
    And Charlottesville is in the top 3 of my 30+ shows. If there were vacant seats it didn't feel like it but I agree they don't sell out as much as portrayed.
  • Options
    T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 393
    I think the lack of touring in certain parts of the country (South, Northwest, parts of the Midwest) has everything to do with ticket sales. Whether we'd like to admit it as fans, this band is a business. If they're only going to do 15-20 shows on a North American leg, they need to maximize revenue and profit. They can't take a chance on only selling 50% - 75% of a venue's capacity in some of these locations, where they'll have to spend time and money to even get that done. When they know NY, Philly, Boston, DC, LA, San Diego, and Chicago are all going to sell out quickly (possibly with multiple nights in each city), they can't ignore the economics.

It certainly sucks for the fans in markets that don't sell as well. I think they could be more strategic as far as where they play in the "softer" markets, but again it's more of a creative exercise when the simple solution is right in front of them: Play the hell out of the Northeast and other major markets in the US.
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    I will drive as always so I will take a few major markets for 2015.
  • Options
    All of this merch money they are raising is not helping in my hopes for some type of small NA tour.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,772
    Noload said:

All of this merch money they are raising is not helping in my hopes for some type of small NA tour.

They had to give us something to do with our time and $$ while we await the announcement. Timing is everything
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    LP115386LP115386 Posts: 54
    Absence makes the heart grow fonder, before you know it you will have the dilemma...which fanclub lotteries do I enter? and all will be right again :blush:
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Reissues are coming....
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Seems like there would be at least one decent rumor or venue leak if there were Sept Canada/US shows coming, leading up to Global Citizen Festival. Getting late.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    T-Bone 82 said:

I think the lack of touring in certain parts of the country (South, Northwest, parts of the Midwest) has everything to do with ticket sales. Whether we'd like to admit it as fans, this band is a business. If they're only going to do 15-20 shows on a North American leg, they need to maximize revenue and profit. They can't take a chance on only selling 50% - 75% of a venue's capacity in some of these locations, where they'll have to spend time and money to even get that done. When they know NY, Philly, Boston, DC, LA, San Diego, and Chicago are all going to sell out quickly (possibly with multiple nights in each city), they can't ignore the economics.

It certainly sucks for the fans in markets that don't sell as well. I think they could be more strategic as far as where they play in the "softer" markets, but again it's more of a creative exercise when the simple solution is right in front of them: Play the hell out of the Northeast and other major markets in the US.

I agree with most of this. There are other variables of course, but the 2010 St Louis show was basically empty in the upper level and in 2014 the place was packed. That was after only ignoring them for 6 years. Lessen it by a couple years and toss in an EV solo shows and you ingratiate the fans and remind them that you're still around.

I think it can even have an effect on the more hardcore fan base. I can't count how many posts I've seen on here about a fan leaving the 10c and one of the big reason is no local shows. And that's only people who are nerdy enough to post here in the first place.

I think they should play a few more centrally located southern cities and try to make the shows Friday or Saturday night shows.
  • Options

They also said we'll see you again next year after almost every show.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141

They also said we'll see you again next year after almost every show.
    No, I don't think so. I just listened to the entire 14' tour a few months ago and I don't recall that being said.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,492
    As to the mention of the Foo Fighters...They had no Texas shows on the Wasting Light tour and currently have nothing scheduled for Texas on this tour.
  • Options
    wbutler29wbutler29 Posts: 911
    Total Bummer. Heard rumors of Austin for the latest tour, but no dice. I get Texas thinks it is its own country, but Houston has two great venues (Toyota Center - indoors & Cynthia Wood - Outdoors - 2nd largest in US) Two major aipors, pretty women, warm weather, I could go on.
  • Options
    Maybe if nothing else, after they announce Global Citizens, they will let us know if all dates for 2015 have been announced.
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    The 2014 US tour (Dates Oct 1-Oct 22) was announced on 22 May, 2014. We still got some time...
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    FrankieG said:

The 2014 US tour (Dates Oct 1-Oct 22) was announced on 22 May, 2014. We still got some time...

Not a lot of rumors floating around regarding holds on venues like in the past. Hoping for the best though..
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    I predict they'll play at least one U.S. festival before 2015 ends. Likely surrounded by five or six one-off shows...
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)