Layaway section in the shop?

Comments

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378
    vzouzal said:

on2legs said:

vzouzal said:

Since the shop is now like a TJ Maxx, with a clearance section, I was wondering if a layaway section is in the works?
    Honestly between the shop, "mystery box's" ,trading cards wtf? , videos for Target and being so enamoured with the Grammy for best packaging, the once mighty and proud PJ has certainly changed. And change is fine by me, evolution is inevitable, but not all change is necessary or desirable.
    I will always love the music, because the music is pure. But this ugly marketing machine is starting to play on my last nerve.

***************SPOILER ALERT********************
    For those younger fans just discovering the band, this ain't your Fathers Pearl Jam!

I love when the cool self righteous people make an appearance.
    I was unaware opinions were "cool", but if that's the case, cool! I apologize if my negative opinions regarding Pearl Jam offended you. If it makes you feel any better, they are and always will be my favourite band. I just feel like they have completely pulled a 360 over the past 5-7 years and it has surprised so much, that I felt compelled to make a little noise.
    No offense taken. I actually like when the cool self righteous people arrive to lecture all of us.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    vzouzal said:

What's so wrong about promoting an album with Target or being proud to win a Grammy for best recording package? "This ain't your father's Pearl Jam!" Yeah, this ain't 1995, either. Get over it.

True. Stardate is 2015. I guess I was under the belief that the boys were the stick to their guns type and not so hypocritical. Then again perhaps its all the company running their media presence fault?
    This "the band is hypocritical" line is getting so bloody lame. The fans denanded more merch for years. The band is filling the demand. Actually, not even close. The have filled it a bit with new stuff, but also a lot of their stuff is their "classic wear" that many fans didnt get the chance to get, and don't want to pay $100 for a 20 year old loose and flowing t shirt with pit stains. They paired with Target for distribution of their album, in exhange for some promotion. Thats what happens when you choose to not have a record contract. Would you prefer Santos ship out every single cd from now on?

They never railed against corporate america as a whole, only certain corporations that they felt were doing more harm than good.

Anyone who thinks this band has changed their general stance since 1990 doesn't understand the fundamentals of what they were against in the first place.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• vzouzal said:

What's so wrong about promoting an album with Target or being proud to win a Grammy for best recording package? "This ain't your father's Pearl Jam!" Yeah, this ain't 1995, either. Get over it.

True. Stardate is 2015. I guess I was under the belief that the boys were the stick to their guns type and not so hypocritical. Then again perhaps its all the company running their media presence fault?
    Anyone who thinks this band has changed their general stance since 1990 doesn't understand the fundamentals of what they were against in the first place.

And the fundamentals of what they were against in the first place are?
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    Sweet 4 more payments and that sticker is mine....
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    vzouzal said:

on2legs said:

vzouzal said:

Since the shop is now like a TJ Maxx, with a clearance section, I was wondering if a layaway section is in the works?
    Honestly between the shop, "mystery box's" ,trading cards wtf? , videos for Target and being so enamoured with the Grammy for best packaging, the once mighty and proud PJ has certainly changed. And change is fine by me, evolution is inevitable, but not all change is necessary or desirable.
    I will always love the music, because the music is pure. But this ugly marketing machine is starting to play on my last nerve.

For those younger fans just discovering the band, this ain't your Fathers Pearl Jam!

I was unaware opinions were "cool", but if that's the case, cool! I apologize if my negative opinions regarding Pearl Jam offended you. If it makes you feel any better, they are and always will be my favourite band. I just feel like they have completely pulled a 360 over the past 5-7 years and it has surprised so much, that I felt compelled to make a little noise.
    If they did a 360 then they'd still be going in the same direction...

Sorry, had to say it...
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    quick take...
    people ask for more merch
    they sell more merch
    and it's a cashgrab?
    not trying to stir the pot, honestly ...just asking a question.

and to quote someone else in this thread...it's not 1991 & things have changed (for better or worse).....

so??

so.....
    they post something in the shop...
    if I don't like it, I don't buy it
    If I do like it, maybe I buy it?

I missed out on Benny & bought the cd b/c my record player was broken. Now, I have to sell an organ to own that record. Is that their fault? Or mine? Or who gives a fuck?

If you see it & want it, get it. If not, move along. Pretty simple, really.

Or maybe I have not been in the "know" so long that I'm naive. If so, let me know.

Like others have said, the music is the most important. That, and the experiences I've had while seeing them live. The people I've met, etc, etc....

rambling post over.

cheers & be well,
    Matt

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    DewieCox said:

I remember my first beer.

:lol
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    mfc2006 said:

quick take...
    they sell more merch
    and it's a cashgrab?

and to quote someone else in this thread...it's not 1991 & things have changed (for better or worse).....

so??

so.....

I missed out on Benny & bought the cd b/c my record player was broken. Now, I have to sell an organ to own that record. Is that their fault? Or mine? Or who gives a fuck?

Or maybe I have not been in the "know" so long that I'm naive. If so, let me know.

Like others have said, the music is the most important. That, and the experiences I've had while seeing them live. The people I've met, etc, etc....

rambling post over.

cheers & be well,
    Matt

Well... the $40 dog collars WERE a fuckin' cash grab. I don't see any other way to defend that one... pretty fucking lame, even more so than the Target commercial. They also have sold a LOT of ugly t-shirts the past few years since increasing mercy. I agree they used to have like 2 shirts for sale. Now they have a lot but they all kinda suck. Except Halloween 2014 shirt.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    The clearance section of TJ Maxx is the shit. I got a $5 two cup capacity French press from there which is fantastic for use when traveling. Those hotel room coffee makers are nasty.
    The 10c clearance section got me 2 shirts & a poster for $50. And since many others took advantage of it probably cleared out a nice chunk of space in 10c HQ's warehouse.
    I do kind of wonder, given the timing, if they decided to do this because people were complaining about the mystery boxes being a cash grab. So to reduce old stock they actually cataloged everything and put each individual item up in the shop at a steep discount rather than continue with the "grab bag" concept.

I also highly recommend the clearance section of old navy, particularly the big one in 34th st. My favorite summer hoodie came from there after getting caught in a freak storm nearby.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    TJ Maxx.......Pearl Jam....?.......ok, whatever. Great thread.
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Do you guys think they have a Benny at tj maxx? I have one close to my house.
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    badbrains said:

Not sure, but I did snag a copy of Springsteen's "Wrecking Ball" on wax at a TJ Maxx for $5 once.
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

badbrains said:

Not sure, but I did snag a copy of Springsteen's "Wrecking Ball" on wax at a TJ Maxx for $5 once.
    Damn, that's a score.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

mfc2006 said:

quick take...
    they sell more merch
    and it's a cashgrab?

so??

so.....

rambling post over.

cheers & be well,
    Matt

Well... the $40 dog collars WERE a fuckin' cash grab. I don't see any other way to defend that one... pretty fucking lame, even more so than the Target commercial. They also have sold a LOT of ugly t-shirts the past few years since increasing mercy. I agree they used to have like 2 shirts for sale. Now they have a lot but they all kinda suck. Except Halloween 2014 shirt.
    All of the boys are dog lovers. It seems a lot of the merch they sell is stuff they would like from their favourite band. That's just the impression I get.

Does anyone here truly believe this band needs to, much less wants to, do things for money? Do you really think a few people spending $40 is going to make a lick of difference to their collective or ondividual bottom lines? I don't.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,405
    I never understood the people that get so butt hurt over what a band puts out merchandise wise...who really cares? Who gives two shits what they offer for sale at the shows?

- Oh no...they are offering posters. Oh no...now they are offering stickers. waaaaaaaahhhhhh we can't get them...the flippers are getting everything...why not produce more?!?!? 10C you suck....wahhhh, waaaahhhh, waaaaaaaaahhhhhhh, offer posters on the website. Produce more. Fuck the flippers...waaaah, waaah, waaah.

- Well here you go...here's posters on the website...and now the fans won't buy them...what should they do with them? use them as toilet paper? let's offer them for a bit cheaper...maybe someone who couldnt afford them the first time around can buy something...

- Oh no...how dare 10C discount their products to get rid of them...waaaaaaahhhh, waaaaaaaahhhhh, waaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!! Clearance section? waaaaah, waaaaah, waaaaah...what's next...the band is selling out...blaaaaaaah, blaaaaaah, blaaaaaah.

There's always some Pearl Jam fan that's butt hurt about something. lol.

It's about the music...everything else comes with the territory...don't like it? Do yourself a favor and try to find "the next big thing". Or stay off the website...then you wouldn't have to see the clearance section.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,405

Well there's plenty of people quick to jump on this guy or anyone who voices something negative that they feel but I think vzouzal is more or less right. I guess the band is trying to stay up with today's world which is fine but I do think it's gone a bit overboard as well. I pretty much avoid the majority of it though.

Here's a smart guy...this guy does exactly what I described. Enjoys the music, avoids the bullshit.

I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • whofeelslikeadrankwhofeelslikeadrank Posts: 2,702
    edited March 2015

Sorry, had to say it...
    :grin:
    Post edited by whofeelslikeadrank on
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • vzouzalvzouzal Posts: 202

vzouzal said:

on2legs said:

vzouzal said:

Sorry, had to say it...
    good call! 180 is what i should have written.
    on2legs said:

vzouzal said:

on2legs said:

vzouzal said:

No offense taken. I actually like when the cool self righteous people arrive to lecture all of us.
    again Im not lecturing anyone, just wanted to see what other people thought and hopefully spark a debate...

Actually i think it's funny you keep on referring to self righteousness, as I ultimately think that's why I felt the need to call the band out in the 1st place. Their 1st 10-12.5 years could be viewed as pretty self righteous vs. the last 10-12.5, which is the 180 (360 lol) I referred to.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    OP, do you think it is the band catering to the wants of the fans? I like playing frisbee (not golf but ultimate). If they put out a cool PJ Ultimate frisbee I would definitely buy it. In fact I would love to have one.
    So it's mutual, they make some money and the fans get what they want.
    edited March 2015
    I guess I can see the other side on the shop/merch, It's hard to imagine that they are operating so corporately now.

But the grammy thing just makes me smile. Maybe understanding/appreciating Grammy's is something that comes with a little more distance in the rearviewmirror, but wasn't Ed like 30 already, so it's not like a "petulant kid" just spouting off.
    Post edited by vzouzal on
    vzouzal said:

on2legs said:

vzouzal said:

on2legs said:

vzouzal said:

again Im not lecturing anyone, just wanted to see what other people thought and hopefully spark a debate...

Actually i think it's funny you keep on referring to self righteousness, as I ultimately think that's why I felt the need to call the band out in the 1st place. Their 1st 10-12.5 years could be viewed as pretty self righteous vs. the last 10-12.5, which is the 180 (360 lol) I referred to.
    I think you have it completely wrong. There is no 180 in their behavior. The band has always been about doing what they want to do regardless of what others think. And if right now they want more shirts for sale then that's what they're going to do. Even if you don't like it. I'm sure Ed would give you the same middle finger he gave ticketmaster 20 years ago.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

I will be the 1st to admit I could be all wrong. However after reading thru the posts, I think the answer lies somewhere in the middle...kind of like painting "a picture forty shades of grey".
    vzouzal said:

I will be the 1st to admit I could be all wrong. However after reading thru the posts, I think the answer lies somewhere in the middle...kind of like painting "a picture forty shades of grey".

Pretty sure I was the first to tell you that you were wrong, but if it means that much to you then by all means you can be #1. ;)

no you were 1st! ,#1, Le Premiere, Numero Uno!
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited March 2015
    They make music when they want and how they want... they play when they want, where they want, and how they want... they work with who they want, when they want, snd how they want... they have their own label... they run their own merch and warehouse... they have their own website... almost everything seems to be run in-house... they don't sell their music to corporate advertising... they make sure their fans are at the front of the line for everything from merch to music to tix

how many countless people have they employed? how much $ have they given to charity and causes?

did I mention tickets are still under $100 for the best band on the planet?

and you are worried if they have some t-shirts in a clearance sale for fans to pick up cheap???

get fucking real

Post edited by my2hands on
  • my2hands said:

They make music when they want and how they want... they play when they want, where they want, and how they want... they work with who they want, when they want, snd how they want... they have their own label... they run their own merch and warehouse... they have their own website... almost everything seems to be run in-house... they don't sell their music to corporate advertising... they make sure their fans are at the front of the line for everything from merch to music to tix

how many countless people have they employed? how much $ have they given to charity and causes?

and you are worried if they have some t-shirts in a clearance sale for fans to pick up cheap???

get fucking real

:clap:
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
    my2hands said:

get fucking real

now that's a good soldier, love the passion!
  • BlredyellowBlredyellow Posts: 843
    OP: Do you work for free? Do you do incredible things for charity, donating millions?

No and no.

Another stupid, troll thread.

No one sells records anymore. They make money off touring and merch. So, of course, there's more merch than ever. So what? Does it affect your personal life? Are you the sixth member of PJ and get to dictate what they do for a living?

There are smart, good fans on this board. Then there are the other ones.

OP: Do you work for free? Do you do incredible things for charity, donating millions?

No and no.

Another stupid, troll thread.

No one sells records anymore. They make money off touring and merch. So, of course, there's more merch than ever. So what? Does it affect your personal life? Are you the sixth member of PJ and get to dictate what they do for a living?

There are smart, good fans on this board. Then there are the other ones.

There are also a lot of kool-aid drinkers on this board, that cannot accept ANY criticism or negativity being associated with the band.