Options

Binaural, Riot Act and Avocado, may not be perfect

2»

Comments

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,278

They are all better than the last two

They may all be better than the first two as well...
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    I love these three records. Yes all can benefit from losing a song or two ( that's right I'm talking to you "Help, Help"). But can we talk about how all three have week artwork/album covers! I mean Binaural could have been classic because the "space" theme is so cool, but it fell a little flat, no? Riot act is blah and kinda looks like an outtake to me. Again great subject of skeletons and king/queen, but cover is pretty wack. The booklet cover should have been actual cover.
    And Avocado I'm still trying to figure out for fucks sake! I want to like it..
  • Options
    broloco said:

This brings back memories of waiting to press record on my VCR. For fucks sake at least like this (no facebook pun intended), like this dammit!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ3rshXmPNQ
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Who is under rating Binaural? Not me.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237

broloco said:

This brings back memories of waiting to press record on my VCR. For fucks sake at least like this (no facebook pun intended), like this dammit!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ3rshXmPNQ
    Oh the music rocks! Love the music. I meant I'm still trying to figure why there is a piece of fruit on the cover.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    goldrush said:

Well....I'm not too sure I would/could go that far...I suppose it all depends on one's perspective at the time (i.e., what was going on in one's life at the time).

I love Binaural, really like Riot Act, and have been trying for years with "Avocado" but I just wasn't in a space at the times of their releases where the music had a huge impact on me. This is certainly not the case with Ten and Vs - or the next three for that matter.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    goldrush said:

I still think Riot Act is one of their most rewarding records. You may not always feel like putting it on, but when you do boy are you glad you did!

yeah, it's probably one my least listened-to PJ records. But I put it on a few days ago, and I couldn't stop listening to it. I fucking love it. I kept thinking "why haven't I listened to this in so long?"

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    EBowieEBowie Posts: 529
    I love the Avocado album for the songs but the production is painful to listen to.
  • Options
    sometimes I'm really glad I don't have the audiophile ears that some of you seem to. it lets me enjoy the music more.

I went to see the Chili Peppers with a buddy of mine. we were leaving the show, and I was on a high from the energy and just how fun it was. He said "that show sucked.....the drums sounded too tinny". I looked at him and said to myself "I will never go to a show with this poor sap ever again". And I haven't. and he's asked. and I've told him why.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Believe me, I am no audiophile. But I do know that Avocado's production is way too loud. Throw on Riot Act and Avocado back-to-back, without adjusting your stereo, and you'll see what I mean.

Speaking of the Chili Peppers, Californication might be the worst offender of loud production I've ever heard. It's a shame too because the songs are gorgeous.
  • Options
    well, even as a big music fan, I think my general production awareness is pretty low. unless it's over produced. fake sounding. but I'm not picky about mp3's, or even if it's not a perfect sounding demo. I do much prefer headphones over earbuds, obviously, but I've never really understand the loudness war thing, which is probably why (besides the obvious physical aspect of it) I've never cared too much about vinyl. the "warm sound" escapes me. and i'm ok with that.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    My one complaint with Avocado is that the guitars are almost non-existent in the mixing, so is the bass for that matter, but it's something that isn't obvious unless you are listening for it, so it is only a minor annoyance, unlike Backspacer, which half the album I routinely skip
  • Options
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    EBowie said:

Believe me, I am no audiophile. But I do know that Avocado's production is way too loud. Throw on Riot Act and Avocado back-to-back, without adjusting your stereo, and you'll see what I mean.

Speaking of the Chili Peppers, Californication might be the worst offender of loud production I've ever heard. It's a shame too because the songs are gorgeous.

Ever listen to Vapor Trails by Rush? Holy loudness!!! So glad they gave it a remaster.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,537
    rummy said:

goldrush said:

Well....I'm not too sure I would/could go that far...I suppose it all depends on one's perspective at the time (i.e., what was going on in one's life at the time).

I love Binaural, really like Riot Act, and have been trying for years with "Avocado" but I just wasn't in a space at the times of their releases where the music had a huge impact on me. This is certainly not the case with Ten and Vs - or the next three for that matter.
    I agree that they're all better than the first two (not that I don't love Ten and Vs.). And definitely better than the last two. I love a few songs from LB, and like a bunch of the others, but there are a few such profound stinkers on that album that I'll never be able to consider it a great album. Only an okay album with some great songs on it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

My one complaint with Avocado is that the guitars are almost non-existent in the mixing, so is the bass for that matter, but it's something that isn't obvious unless you are listening for it, so it is only a minor annoyance, unlike Backspacer, which half the album I routinely skip

This Comatose solo at 1:35 makes up for it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFGTh_cSrLs&t=96
    Pearl Jam is easily two generations ahead of their time.