Options

"I don't know if the president loves the United States..."

gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
seriously,

why is this an issue?

why would obama choose to endure:
2 elections cycles with massive smear campaigns and personal attacks bankrolled by hunderds of millions of dollars
millions of negative comments about him
outright lies made about him in media
character assassination
an entire network bashing every move he makes, even if said network agreed with it initially
facing more death threats than any other president
having a whole political party dedicate 10 years to doing nothing other than opposing him
all of that plus the basic stress of the office.

the question is,
if this man does not love this country, why would he have put himself in the position to run for president in the first place?

why is something as stupid as "he loves his country" being seen as a quality that makes someone fit for office?
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."

Comments

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    He may not love the US. that's okay as long as he's trying to make it better which he has.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    I don't love the US. Love the nature and many if it's inhabitants. Love music but a machine. Nah.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,691
    callen said:

He may not love the US. that's okay as long as he's trying to make it better which he has.

well put.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    callen said:

i agree.

what is wrong with seeing something the way it is, having a vision for making it better, and having the means to implement that vision to make the improvements?

That is all obama has been trying to do. Make things better for everybody.

isn't that what a leader is supposed to do?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    mickeyrat said:

callen said:

well put.
    I disagree.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

seriously,

why is this an issue?

why would obama choose to endure:
    2 elections cycles with massive smear campaigns and personal attacks bankrolled by hunderds of millions of dollars
    millions of negative comments about him
    outright lies made about him in media
    character assassination
    an entire network bashing every move he makes, even if said network agreed with it initially
    facing more death threats than any other president
    having a whole political party dedicate 10 years to doing nothing other than opposing him
    all of that plus the basic stress of the office.

the question is,
    if this man does not love this country, why would he have put himself in the position to run for president in the first place?

why is something as stupid as "he loves his country" being seen as a quality that makes someone fit for office?

as you said in the other thread.....it's an issue because it's a dumbing down of basic politics. I've never understood the whole notion of "loving my country". I mean, I like living in Canada. I could do without the harsh winters and the mosquitos and the 3 pearl jam shows in 22 years. But I haven't moved so I guess I like it. I do like our reputation of being nice, even though I've met just as many asshole Canadians as any other nationality. I've met just as many awesome Americans as Canadians. So I'm not sure where that came from.

But I'm sure I would love wherever I was born. As would most people born in a first world country.

You'd have to be incredibly power hungry and egocentric to not be passionate about where you live and take the road to the highest office in the land. Obama doesn't fit that profile.

Bush....well.....he was a completely different...........you know........

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    Juliani just needs to go away for ever the man is clueless lisppy bastard ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I get calling him out on his comment, but c'mon. What are we, in high school with this shit?

I'll admit to being a bit on the "huh?" side when Michelle Obama said she hadn't been proud to be an American till recently or some such hoo-ha a few years back but whatever, it's her view.

Maybe idealistic, but it would be so fucking awesome if the double standard were just...let...GO.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    Weird that 7 in 10 Republicans polled say Obama doesn't love the U.S. How did 7 in 10 come to that conclusion? Did they give their answer any thought? Sound like knee jerk poll taking.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2015/02/26/7-in-10-republicans-in-a-poll-say-obama-doesnt-love-america-thats-not-really-surprising/
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options

This is absurd and insulting.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    it matters not.

Godfather.
  • Options

the insulting part is he still, to this day, uses 9/11 for his own personal gain. he has profitted bigtime from 9/11. he has made millions from his security firm that he founded as a direct result of 9/11.

• Options
    don king loves america pretty much more than anybody else...

is he fit to be president?

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

No more absurd and insulting than the filth that he spouts.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    who doesn't love america now???

the house republicans voted to not extend funding the department of homeland security.

they had the injunction preventing obama's immigration policies from taking effect, they did not need to put a single word about his executive action into this funding bill.

fucking morons.

what does mr "i love america" guiliani have to say about his party now??

• Options
    This is embarrassing for the GOP, they thought they had the votes but they can't control the radicals in their party.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

I get calling him out on his comment, but c'mon. What are we, in high school with this shit?

Exactly. Republican politicians have publicly and repeatedly acted like children since the day Obama was elected.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

hedonist said:

Exactly. Republican politicians have publicly and repeatedly acted like children since the day Obama was elected.
    The last part of my post you didn't quote speaks more to my state of mind.

The majority, regardless of party, are acting like immature and indignant little shits.
  • Options

I know it appears bad but when Giuliani campaigned every 10th word was 9/11. And the republicans all do it. Use fear to do the work of their handlers, corporations. Osama and Jihad John are many republicans best campaign buddies. Dems do similar.
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited February 2015
    hedonist said:

hedonist said:

The majority, regardless of party, are acting like immature and indignant little shits.
    I was referring to the part I quoted, as I don't know what you're talking about with Michelle. But speaking of which, I'm no proud American for sure. This country has been a disgrace in the world's eye for years, starting with George W Bush. Politicians - all sides - are an embarrassment. They're bringing a country that was once great to the threshold of Hell with their refusal to get their heads out of their asses and out of lobbyists asses.
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options
    callen said:

I know it appears bad but when Giuliani campaigned every 10th word was 9/11. And the republicans all do it. Use fear to do the work of their handlers, corporations. Osama and Jihad John are many republicans best campaign buddies. Dems do similar.
    Isn't that what all politicians do? They use what they've done in the past to say what they will do in the future. It's campaigning. Gulliani did an excellent job leading New York during and after the worst attack on America ever.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited February 2015

hedonist said:

hedonist said:

I was referring to the part I quoted, as I don't know what you're talking about with Michelle. But speaking of which, I'm no proud American for sure. This country has been a disgrace in the world's eye for years, starting with George W Bush. Politicians - all sides - are an embarrassment. They're bringing a country that was once great to the threshold of Hell with their refusal to get their heads out of their asses and out of lobbyists asses.
    All that aside,I love how some of you on here just love to knock this country and focus on only the negative and never take the time to really think about some of the awesome and wonderful things we do for, and offer the world.It troubles me how anti American this board is.I get it,your right and freedom to feel that way,but remember A lot of blood has been spilled for our freedoms for generations and IMO it's a kick in the balls to all of them. Don't like everything those in power do but I never feel ashamed or un proud of being an American.
  • Options
    At least you don't have to worry about being shot in the back 4 times for bashing this country or the president.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683

At least you don't have to worry about being shot in the back 4 times for bashing this country or the president.

For the most part, I tend to agree with you Last 12... but then there's Judi Bari.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rr165892 said:

hedonist said:

hedonist said:

All that aside,I love how some of you on here just love to knock this country and focus on only the negative and never take the time to really think about some of the awesome and wonderful things we do for, and offer the world.It troubles me how anti American this board is.I get it,your right and freedom to feel that way,but remember A lot of blood has been spilled for our freedoms for generations and IMO it's a kick in the balls to all of them. Don't like everything those in power do but I never feel ashamed or un proud of being an American.
    Give one example of blood being spilled for our freedoms. That is an empty platitude.

There is nothing wrong with focusing on the ways in which we could improve.
    It's pretty easy to make a case against the indoctrination of patriotism that leads young men to volunteer to kill other young men with which they have NO LEGITIMATE quarrel.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    edited February 2015

callen said:

Isn't that what all politicians do? They use what they've done in the past to say what they will do in the future. It's campaigning. Gulliani did an excellent job leading New York during and after the worst attack on America ever.
    Excellent job? What the fuck? Ask a firefighter in NYC how good of a job guillani did after 9-11. Ask him why they stopped looking for firefighters bodies after they recovered the gold under all the rubble.

Edit-don't be fooled
    Post edited by badbrains on
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    rgambs said:

rr165892 said:

hedonist said:

hedonist said:

Give one example of blood being spilled for our freedoms. That is an empty platitude.

There is nothing wrong with focusing on the ways in which we could improve.
    It's pretty easy to make a case against the indoctrination of patriotism that leads young men to volunteer to kill other young men with which they have NO LEGITIMATE quarrel.
    No it's not Gambs.You can go back to Revolutionary war all the way thru WW2.If you are arguing about what war is just,and what blind idealistic leanings those who enlist are following again that's another argument.My point is Many on here talk how they are not proud to be American or they are Ashamed to live here and Ashamed at our country.Like I said before.There is a lot of stuff to be angry about with how our country is run and what direction it is going in?And I think we all agree many actions in our past history are regretful and could be seen as equally if not more brutal then many things we argue about.But that said ,we ae one hot beautiful mess that's not perfect but strives to be a beacon of hope for the entire world.Im proud to be born into such a great place where the sky can be the limit for anyone who is willing to work hard .

It's like when your kids do stupid shit(just you wait) You may be disappointed at them and not like them at that time of the act,but you always continue to love them and want them to learn from the mistakes and be better for it.Same could be said for our relationship with our home,
  • Options
    badbrains said:

callen said:

Excellent job? What the fuck? Ask a firefighter in NYC how good of a job guillani did after 9-11. Ask him why they stopped looking for firefighters bodies after they recovered the gold under all the rubble.

Edit-don't be fooled
    I don't know what you are talking about here BB. I have talked to about 30 FDNY fireman that were involved in 9-11 and the vast majority of those guys didn't have a bad word to say about how Gulliani handled his city after 9-11.