Options

Hey Foxymophandlemama, That's me

The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
wondering if it was a hidden track and Vitalogy ended with Immortality, would you like that better?

I think it's a fantastic track. the child creeps me out, true. But I bet it would be a mesmerizing instrumental. Or what if pj performed it live and Ed did the spoken word? What did Ed say about this song once? Something like it was their most emotional song they ever recorded?
Another habit says it's in love with you
Another habit says its long overdue
Another habit like an unwanted friend
I'm so happy with my righteous self

Comments

• Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,734
    If listening to all of Vitalogy....you kind off need Foxy after Immortality to put it all in perspective.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    A www, almost 50 views with no replies. New personal best.

Good answer though - I like that.
  • Options
    I've sought out the source of the mental patient interview for years....to no avail. I do think the voice is sped-up though; that the interviewee doesn't really sound like that. But who knows? I would have taken anything pertaining to this track over the three boring bonus tracks from the Vitalogy reissue. An alt-mix, instrumental, undoctored or complete patient interview, etc.

My Stupid Mop threads usually fell on deaf ears too.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,058
    I think I'm in the minority of liking Stupid Mop. I think it's a perfect ending to Vitalogy. I like the experimentation of this track. It fits where they were emotionally at the time also. And it's the first Jack track! Yes Ledbetterman an instrumental of this on the reissues would've been really cool to hear.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    I really don't care for it. Being in the mental health field for the past 12 years I don't see the 'art' there.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    I was just reading about this in the PJ20 book the other day. I didn't remember knowing it was the first Jack track, and it was just he and Ed free form jamming. In context, it's actually pretty cool. I wonder how many bands have one member on all tracks, fire that member, and add one more track with his replacement? how weird.

I might like it better had it just been a straight instrumental without the creepy overdubbed talking.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,367

wondering if it was a hidden track and Vitalogy ended with Immortality, would you like that better?

I think it's a fantastic track. the child creeps me out, true. But I bet it would be a mesmerizing instrumental. Or what if pj performed it live and Ed did the spoken word? What did Ed say about this song once? Something like it was their most emotional song they ever recorded?

I love it. I thought I read somewhere that it was an older woman and not a boy
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    There's an older sounding lady at the end who answers the question about suicide, but isn't there a young boy on those recordings?
  • Options
    edited February 2015

There's an older sounding lady at the end who answers the question about suicide, but isn't there a young boy on those recordings?

I think most of us thought it was a boy saying "my spanking", But I think someone said it was from a documentary from a mental hospital or something. And that it was an old lady. But I could be wrong
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    not sure if its ever been played
    danny d
  • Options
    danny said:

it has not.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383

danny said:

it has not.

Wasn't it briefly tagged on Daughter a while back?
  • Options
    Hobbes said:

danny said:

it has not.

really? I didn't know that. but...how do you tag a free form jam with fucked up talking overdubbed into any song live? I'd love to hear it if they did!

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383

Hobbes said:

danny said:

it has not.

really? I didn't know that. but...how do you tag a free form jam with fucked up talking overdubbed into any song live? I'd love to hear it if they did!

Don't think it was a full tag. Just Ed saying Hey, foxymop or something like that. Back in the 90's so no boot. I could be way off, but I thought I read that somewhere. Anyone else remember something like this?
  • Options
    Hobbes said:

Hobbes said:

danny said:

it has not.

Don't think it was a full tag. Just Ed saying Hey, foxymop or something like that. Back in the 90's so no boot. I could be way off, but I thought I read that somewhere. Anyone else remember something like this?
    3-18-95 Australia
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    I like it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata