Options

The sticker craze/World gone wrong

Comments

• Options

Sell the generic tour stuff outside, sure. But the city specific stuff needs to go to ticket holders and should only be sold inside. For posters, didn't they do something a few years ago you where purchased it at the booth, got a wristband or voucher or something so you didn't have to carry the poster around, then went back to the booth at the end of the show to claim it? Or am I thinking of another band that did that a few years back?

Yeah...PJ did this in 2006...at least they did at the Virginia Beach show. It was kind of a solution...excepting the fact that you had to wait in line twice...one to buy the wristband for the poster and another time to get the poster.

I think another idea is to sell the merchandise outside before the show but only to people who have tickets for the show. 1 poster and 2 or 3 pins per ticket. Buy what you want, get your ticket stamped or otherwise marked and you're done. I am personally a BIG fan of being able to get what I want before the show, taking it back to the hotel or car and then fully enjoying the show without worrying about my poster getting thrashed by fellow concert goers. My .02 cents....
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,409
    good OP! Agree 110%
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    It's only a matter of time before everyone starts searching for the older rare CDs and promos next...
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

Sell the generic tour stuff outside, sure. But the city specific stuff needs to go to ticket holders and should only be sold inside. For posters, didn't they do something a few years ago you where purchased it at the booth, got a wristband or voucher or something so you didn't have to carry the poster around, then went back to the booth at the end of the show to claim it? Or am I thinking of another band that did that a few years back?

Yeah...PJ did this in 2006...at least they did at the Virginia Beach show. It was kind of a solution...excepting the fact that you had to wait in line twice...one to buy the wristband for the poster and another time to get the poster.

I think another idea is to sell the merchandise outside before the show but only to people who have tickets for the show. 1 poster and 2 or 3 pins per ticket. Buy what you want, get your ticket stamped or otherwise marked and you're done. I am personally a BIG fan of being able to get what I want before the show, taking it back to the hotel or car and then fully enjoying the show without worrying about my poster getting thrashed by fellow concert goers. My .02 cents....
    just sell the shit here on the site after the fact only to people who were there, one of each item per ticket holder (put a code on the ticket or something redeemable for said merch). if there's anything left after a few weeks, put it up for sale to the public. but still one per person.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 988
    derbydave said:

Suziemay said:

pdalowsky said:

Absolutely right OP, folk paying $175 for a Gydnia or Santiago sticker is crazy. Of course they are free to do as they like, but its ridiculous to me too. I collect PJ passionately but refuse to pay these prices.....I only 'need' Santiago and in what is a weird shift in mentality for me, I will happily live without it at those prices.

Gasp! You're reformed!
    So there's hope for us ALL then!!!
    :rofl:
    Lol that does sound reformed Paul!
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 988
    Apart from the music, the only thing I love are t-shirts....and stickers to place on my guitar case and not to make money from.
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    As hescalleddyer said Sell the generic tour stuff outside, sure. But the city specific stuff needs to go to ticket holders and should only be sold inside.

As nice as not having to carry the poster around is, this is the best way. Lines sucked at Wrigley, St. Louis was a joke didn't even bother, Moline started to get hostile when there were no more posters and line cutters. Milwaukee was at least organized and seemed to move well. But all of these have a couple things in common long wasted day in slow moving line and upset people. Adding in checking tickets would make a slow line move even slower and don't forget the people in the merch truck don't care.
  • Options
    Brane_of_JFKBrane_of_JFK Maryland Posts: 1,900
    FuckinUp said:

imageimageimage

Here's a few of the stickers that I'm currently looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I have the South Pacific sticker
  • Options
    laa1025laa1025 Posts: 128
    I'd much prefer to collect stickers because there is no way that I want to store all the posters or possible frame them. It just isn't possible. Storing the stickers are much easier and they are cool, too. But, you can hardly get the stickers. At least with the posters you seem to have a chance at AP or from 10C afterwards. I wish they were easier to get because it seems like a good memento.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I wonder if the warehouse has leftover stickers...they could do a 'mystery sticker pack' for let's say $25-members only, limit 3 packs.
    Then we could trade for stuff we wanted. I remember when they did the grab bags and I got some stickers, traded them with other people for CD singles and other stickers.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    RKCNDY said:

I wonder if the warehouse has leftover stickers...they could do a 'mystery sticker pack' for let's say $25-members only, limit 3 packs.
    Then we could trade for stuff we wanted. I remember when they did the grab bags and I got some stickers, traded them with other people for CD singles and other stickers.

I know they sold leftover tour stickers,
    as well as the city specific T-shirts,
    at the Pop Up Shop at The Showbox in Seattle!!
    I wanted to buy an extra Pittsburgh T-shirt, but they only had medium & small sizes left.
    I did pick up a bunch of Pittsburgh, OKC & Phoenix stickers there to trade for others I wanted!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    derbydave said:

RKCNDY said:

I wanted to buy an extra Pittsburgh T-shirt, but they only had medium & small sizes left.
    I did pick up a bunch of Pittsburgh, OKC & Phoenix stickers there to trade for others I wanted!
    I missed the pop-up, had severe bronchitis...that was my souvenir from PDX.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    RKCNDY said:

derbydave said:

RKCNDY said:

I missed the pop-up, had severe bronchitis...that was my souvenir from PDX.
    I knew you weren't feeling great when we saw you guys at McMenamins!!!
    What a GREAT time we had in Seattle :wink:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    Never got into collecting stickers. The t-shirts however, and don't get me started on hoodies!
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    The angel sticker sold for $204. That's more than some 1998 posters and much of their vinyl. That is just stupid.
  • Options

The angel sticker sold for $204. That's more than some 1998 posters and much of their vinyl. That is just stupid.

Vitalogy starter kit sold for $300 today too… I think I'm gonna sell all my stuff...
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,722

That's sad. Just imagine if Pearl Jam started selling more stickers on the website? And this was one of them for only 2 bucks?

The funny thing is stickers are not signed / numbered & can be easily be counterfeited. To blow that much dough for a sticker is fucked up. I mean seriously fucked up.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    $204 for a sticker???? WTF?!?!???
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    There is another Awesome person selling the Angel sticker for, wait for it, wait for it…

BIN $225. That's right $225… GFY...
  • Options
    EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057
    BinFrog said:

I refuse to get into stickers.

The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • Options

There is another Awesome person selling the Angel sticker for, wait for it, wait for it…

Ok, i get. That is out of this universe crazy price for a sticker. If someone buys that, then that is their issue. But what about all the people on lost dogs repeatedly defending people like this as merely selling something for what the market states is its worth?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,529

Ok, i get. That is out of this universe crazy price for a sticker. If someone buys that, then that is their issue. But what about all the people on lost dogs repeatedly defending people like this as merely selling something for what the market states is its worth?
    Can you fault people though for selling a sticker for $204? That's awesome if you are willing to give it to a friend for free or a couple bucks, but if someone is crazy enough to pay $204 for a sticker of mine I'm selling it and will sleep fine at night.
  • Options

Can you fault people though for selling a sticker for $204? That's awesome if you are willing to give it to a friend for free or a couple bucks, but if someone is crazy enough to pay $204 for a sticker of mine I'm selling it and will sleep fine at night.
    I totally agree with you.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Not faulting the seller at all. Free market. Capitalism.

The buyer? My god.

Maybe some billionaire hedge-fund was really into "Evenflow" in '92 and now has a new hobby.

Or maybe Stone is just buying back all of the band's rare stickers. :)
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435

Totally agree. No sticker (or even poster) on earth is worth $200 to me, if someone else wanted to pay $200 for a $1 sticker I had, I'd be all over that. It shot up, doubled in price, in the final few minutes. It was $66 this morning. That's just people with too much money losing their shit (and I imagine they're single, cause I can't picture anyone telling their wife, "honey, I won that angel sticker for $204!!!").
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,401

Agree 100%. I'm amazed at what people will pay for stuff. Hell, in the last month I've sold an old Smashing Pumpkins concert t-shirt and an empty beer bottle and made enough to cover the cost of twelve new vinyl albums plus have a little extra left.
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,339
    edited February 2015

"Totally agree. No sticker (or even poster) on earth is worth $200 to me, if someone else wanted to pay $200 for a $1 sticker I had, I'd be all over that. It shot up, doubled in price, in the final few minutes. It was $66 this morning. That's just people with too much money losing their shit (and I imagine they're single, cause I can't picture anyone telling their wife, "honey, I won that angel sticker for $204!!!")."

.... no sticker, poster, record, or any piece of merchandise is worth $200 to me ...... a front row ticket = that's a maybe :)

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,529
    A poster is at least artwork and is limited. I can understand some posters being valuable.

At the end of the day though everyone is wired differently and some like to collect and some don't. It isn't so much that it is a sticker but that it is an item that might be rare. I would be shocked if people are paying more than $10 for a sticker to actual stick on the wall or guitar case.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Ebay is gambling from the convenience of your chair at home. (Or wherever it is that you are at.) People get in the mindset of, "I have to have it!" or even "They can't have it and I have to do what I can to win it!" If you consider yourself a winner for paying over $200 for a $2 sticker, God bless.

Do you know the things that I can do with that $200? (We're talking legal here.)

Again, each one of us make different decisions. Whatever works for them.

Wow.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Vitalogy starter kit box sold for $304 this weekend...