Options

The sticker craze/World gone wrong

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I'm done with them myself. After last fall's tour, seeing how greedy some people get over it, it's not worth the hassle. I'll buy a show poster either from the artist or 10C, have a better shot at either of those outlets than actually at the show (crazy, isn't it?). Done with stickers, pins, and waiting in lines for 3 hours when I could be seeing the city.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832

I'm done with them myself. After last fall's tour, seeing how greedy some people get over it, it's not worth the hassle. I'll buy a show poster either from the artist or 10C, have a better shot at either of those outlets than actually at the show (crazy, isn't it?). Done with stickers, pins, and waiting in lines for 3 hours when I could be seeing the city.

yeah, when my wife and I saw the lineup at the merch truck outside the venue in st paul, I looked at her and said "no way am I wasting our day in a new city waiting for merchandise". she's not even a fan of the band, she already indulges me once a tour lately, so I wasn't going to do that to her (or myself, for that matter)! and it just seems so ludicrous to wait in line for hours for a poster/pin/shirt/whatever.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

yeah, when my wife and I saw the lineup at the merch truck outside the venue in st paul, I looked at her and said "no way am I wasting our day in a new city waiting for merchandise". she's not even a fan of the band, she already indulges me once a tour lately, so I wasn't going to do that to her (or myself, for that matter)! and it just seems so ludicrous to wait in line for hours for a poster/pin/shirt/whatever.
    That line was awful!!

• Options
    edited February 2015
    RS151862 said:

PJ should have a 2015 Merchless Tour. See if anybody shows up.

Everybody would look like a bunch of zombies...wandering aimlessly around the arena property...looking for something to spend their money on. And yeah...I'd be one of them...
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990

RS151862 said:

PJ should have a 2015 Merchless Tour. See if anybody shows up.

Everybody would look like a bunch of zombies...wandering aimlessly around the arena property...looking for something to spend their money on. And yeah...I'd be one of them...
    This would cause the rise of fan made merch. I'm not sure when this idea is so shunned anyways.
  • Options
    why are fan made stickers so bad? it's not like the quality is being compromised. it's a sticker. if I knew how, and if I cared, i'd do the same thing (although, I wouldn't waste my time selling them on ebay).
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048

why are fan made stickers so bad? it's not like the quality is being compromised. it's a sticker. if I knew how, and if I cared, i'd do the same thing (although, I wouldn't waste my time selling them on ebay).

well, there are certain fan made stickers being sold on ebay where collectors think they are official and going for lots of money. There's been times where the seller doesn't exactly specify they are fake/fan made. Plus there's that entire proprietary/legality issue
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990

well, there are certain fan made stickers being sold on ebay where collectors think they are official and going for lots of money. There's been times where the seller doesn't exactly specify they are fake/fan made. Plus there's that entire proprietary/legality issue
    I mean the non-counterfeit, fan made stickers that do not reference Pearl Jam. Maybe a song or lyric reference, but not Pearl Jam. Why do people give so much hate to this?
  • Options
    CopperTom said:

I mean the non-counterfeit, fan made stickers that do not reference Pearl Jam. Maybe a song or lyric reference, but not Pearl Jam. Why do people give so much hate to this?
    I gotcha.
  • Options

but if it looks the same, why does the buyer care? I get the legality issue, but come on, how many of us have bought unofficial items of this band without hesitation in the past?

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

but if it looks the same, why does the buyer care? I get the legality issue, but come on, how many of us have bought unofficial items of this band without hesitation in the past?

because a buyer may think it's official and real and drop $30 to $40 on a sticker that is not official. I collect PJ guitar picks. If I found out later I spent a good amount of $ on a fan made or fake pick, I would be quite upset due to my nature of my collecting personality
  • Options

because a buyer may think it's official and real and drop $30 to $40 on a sticker that is not official. I collect PJ guitar picks. If I found out later I spent a good amount of $ on a fan made or fake pick, I would be quite upset due to my nature of my collecting personality
    gotcha. as a collector of nothing, I guess it's just not something I understand entirely.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    edited February 2015
    Why did I give my 2 yr old all my stickers? WHY!!!

How many hardcore sticker junkies just passed out from shock after reading that last sentence?
  • Options
    hardcore sticker junkies: 3 words I never imagined would be next to each other.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Enjoyed reading all the responses. Thanks. Glad to know I'm not the only one. :)
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,359
    FrankY59 said:

Why did I give my 2 yr old all my stickers? WHY!!!

How many hardcore sticker junkies just passed out from shock after reading that last sentence?

Probably none of them.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    GP179117GP179117 Posts: 362
    a little of topic, but for those of you selling stickers on ebay, I have no problem with you doing it, but could you please consider opting out of the automated import charges on your Ebay listings?

It kills us international buyers with ebay's Import charges.

HOW TO OPT OUT....
    Go to Account > Site Preferences > Selling Preferences...you'll see shipping preferences, you can opt out of global shipping there and it shouldn't appear again.
    Tempers are wearing thin. Let's hope some robot doesn't kill everybody.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,297
    You guys created this monster now deal with it lol lol ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,153

That line was awful!!

Seattle was pretty bad too. I remember seeing on this message board that they opened the merch booth a few days before the show. I got there the day before the show and the lineup was pretty long and looked like it would take 3 or 4 hours to get to the front. Not my cup of tea. Went back the next day (day of the concert) and it was the same size. As much as I love PJ I'm standing in line for 4 hours to get merch (which isn't entirely true because I waited in line for the pop up shop the next day but I thought there would be cool stuff, but there wasn't... long lineup... very limited quanities of merch). All I usually want is a poster and maybe a tshirt (if there's a non ugly tshirt). Went into the venue.. almost no lineups and posters/tshirts everywhere.

Something doesn't sit right with fans waiting around for 3-4 hours just to hand money to the band.

What was it like for everyone else that skipped the outside merch booth and bought inside the arena? Did they generally have what you wanted inside?
  • Options
    Zod said:

That line was awful!!

Seattle was pretty bad too. I remember seeing on this message board that they opened the merch booth a few days before the show. I got there the day before the show and the lineup was pretty long and looked like it would take 3 or 4 hours to get to the front. Not my cup of tea. Went back the next day (day of the concert) and it was the same size. As much as I love PJ I'm standing in line for 4 hours to get merch (which isn't entirely true because I waited in line for the pop up shop the next day but I thought there would be cool stuff, but there wasn't... long lineup... very limited quanities of merch). All I usually want is a poster and maybe a tshirt (if there's a non ugly tshirt). Went into the venue.. almost no lineups and posters/tshirts everywhere.

Something doesn't sit right with fans waiting around for 3-4 hours just to hand money to the band.

What was it like for everyone else that skipped the outside merch booth and bought inside the arena? Did they generally have what you wanted inside?
    that's the thing I don't get. they are literally FEEDING the flipping market by letting people buy shit who aren't even going to the show. it's ludicrous. maybe their initial idea was to let people buy merch outside and then take it home/hotel so they don't have to deal with it at the show, but I'd much rather deal with it at the show than that nonsense.

I'm kind of glad the St Paul shirt was so hideous. LOL

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    If some dope wants to pay $100+ for a sticker, well let's just say I would sell it too.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    Zod said:

That line was awful!!

It was hit or miss at some shows. Some shows wouldn't even have stickers inside, and then some would have a decent amount or only a little. Some shows limited the amount of stickers you coudl buy and others didn't.

At St. Paul it was pretty easy to get stickers inside the venue, but I was 4th in line at one of the inside booths in Milwaukee and got the last stickers at that booth and there were no buttons at all.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    I agree the merch situation is crazy (and I am one of the crazy ones). I like to think I'm done collecting but we'll see what happens the next tour.
  • Options
    Sell the generic tour stuff outside, sure. But the city specific stuff needs to go to ticket holders and should only be sold inside. For posters, didn't they do something a few years ago you where purchased it at the booth, got a wristband or voucher or something so you didn't have to carry the poster around, then went back to the booth at the end of the show to claim it? Or am I thinking of another band that did that a few years back?
  • Options
    FuckinUpFuckinUp Posts: 223

I've got the items pictured above that I'd trade for some of those stickers you guys are talking about. I'm also interested in Pearl Jam guitar picks.

Thanks
    Indianapolis 1998, Cincinnati 2000, Pittsburgh 2013, Buffalo 2013, Cincinnati 2014, St .Louis 2014, Memphis 2014, Detroit 2014, Moline 2014, The Who/Eddie Vedder Chicago 2015, NYC 2014, Greenville 2016, Lexington 2016, Wrigley N1 2016, Wrigley N2 2016
  • Options
    FuckinUpFuckinUp Posts: 223
    imageimageimage

Here's a few of the stickers that I'm currently looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Indianapolis 1998, Cincinnati 2000, Pittsburgh 2013, Buffalo 2013, Cincinnati 2014, St .Louis 2014, Memphis 2014, Detroit 2014, Moline 2014, The Who/Eddie Vedder Chicago 2015, NYC 2014, Greenville 2016, Lexington 2016, Wrigley N1 2016, Wrigley N2 2016
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,076
    Can't wait for the next tour, I need new bumper stickers for my new car. When I got rid of my old one everyone was like "What about your Pearl Jam stickers?!?" I had a mint condition Philly 2013 on there, and an almost entirely faded Kitchener 2005. So sad.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Maybe I will get stickers next tour since everyone is saying they're not going to lol.

I don't understand this perception of wasting a day in a city. You have to go to the venue to pick up tickets anyway. There's only a couple hours between tickets and showtime. And venues aren't often next to sight seeing stuff.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

Maybe I will get stickers next tour since everyone is saying they're not going to lol.

I don't understand this perception of wasting a day in a city. You have to go to the venue to pick up tickets anyway. There's only a couple hours between tickets and showtime. And venues aren't often next to sight seeing stuff.

Consider though that most people have tickets in hand. And 10C members can pick up their tickets when they arrive at the venue for the night. You don't necessarily have to pick them up at 2 and come back again later.
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,025
    4 hours in line for merch, wtf? In Euro-shows, if the random crowd in front of the merch stand is more than 3 people deep, I won't even bother waiting.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18