Options

The sticker craze/World gone wrong

BlredyellowBlredyellow Posts: 843
edited February 2015 in The Porch
Love PJ stickers. Collect them. They're cool and fun. Have ones for all of the 2013-14 shows I went to and old ones sold on tour/through the 10c. I also collect vinyl, posters and, like many of you, have a lot of PJ "stuff" (mostly bootlegs) while still understanding it's all about the music.

That being said ...

The recent sticker craze has become absolutely crazy. And pretty sad.

Stickers from the '14 Euro tour are going for $50-70. Some older ones have recently gone for $30-60. Stickers that you could get for $5, at most, a month ago are $10-25. And don't get me started on how stupid bootleg (fan made) stickers are.

How in the world did it (we) get to the point that a FREAKIN' sticker is worth more than a poster, bootleg, shirt, LP, 7", etc? It's a STICKER. They cost one cent to make, can barely be displayed and were "worthless" just a couple years ago. Now, people stand in line all day to get them at shows and have made them "worth" more than old Xmas singles, great official bootlegs from 2000 and '03, some of the band's back catalog on LP and many show posters.

The craziest thing to me is there's no real market for stickers. The only people buying them are hardcore, crazy PJ fans. Without them, no one would care about them at all. (Ever been to a rock n' roll sticker convention? Didn't think so.)

I fully get supply and demand. I completely understand a collector's mentality. I get that rarer stickers are ... rare. But, to me, the recent sticker craze shows just how out of touch and surreal the secondhand PJ "market" has become. Without eBay, it wouldn't exist. There's no real, hard currency value. There's no book value or history (a la LPs on discography sites/100-plus years of recorded history and posters on expessobeans). Hell, there isn't even a full catalog/site of all the stickers PJ has released.

I thought the market reached a tipping point last year with the stupid toy sheep, which barely had any connection to PJ, were "hot" for a few months and now are pretty worthless. Wrongggggggg. Within one year, a couple thousand people have turned stickers into the new thing, with 20- to 60-year-olds paying serious money for a piece of flimsy plastic that is one inch high and wide and mostly has NO connection to PJ, the music or (gasp) rock n' roll reality.

Again, I get it. I have more than a few. :) But when stickers are going for $50-75, something is wrong.

All that said ....

We love PJ. A lot. I guess this is just another representation of that. And fans of the biggest bands (Stones, Beatles, etc.) have long collected everything and anything, setting their own prices in their own markets. So maybe that's just what this is and represents. PJ is the only band that matters to their hardcore fans. We've loved them for 24 years. We freak out about LPs, 7"s, coffee mugs, keychains, variant posters and pins. People have had that Benaroya reissue thread running for 10 f'n years. :) Now, stickers are the new poster (sigh) and the market is fully open for secondary, overinflated business.

Stickers. 2015. Rock n' roll.

:)
Post edited by Blredyellow on

Comments

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I refuse to get into stickers.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,419
    I love collecting stickers. And yes. The prices are ridiculous.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,140
    Good thread, OP.
    Stickers aren't my thing but those prices are insane.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    on2legs said:

I love collecting stickers. And yes. The prices are ridiculous.

I concur and am hoping for the big crash and people unload them. The 2003 stickers are going for $30 now!?!

Surfboard cross pearl jam sticker? Don't get me started…

At least the passes no one seems to care about, so please, if you still have passes I'd love them.

Good rant OP. Loved it!

Trade me your passes!!!
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    Stickers are/were my thing....I get it...but I am totally with this thread. I have more than a bunch and could make some nice money right now. But unless they are from the 10C store or traded or something I won't be buying them anymore. Or selling. I just am going to chill. That's what people need to do. Chill the fuck out!

My new thing is "collecting" jpgs of the stickers. Cheaper and just as satisfying. ;)

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Then don't buy them...
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts OP. I wholeheartedly agree with your opinion. I think this past fall US tour really exposed the unnecessary greed lurking within the fan base....obviously not everyone, but enough to get noticed through 5 hour wait times, hording stickers, posters, pins, t-shirts. I'm disappointed too in how this has all transpired. At least there are a good amount of people interacting through trades and such...
    ...just got a fresh bottle.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,419
    There seem to be a lot of bootleg stickers on ebay originating in Spain.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    don't forget socks and dog collars OP :)
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    Don't forget the fucking buttons.
  • Options
    BRAIN0FJAYBRAIN0FJAY Charleston, WV Posts: 989
    Good post OP... I agree. I collect...but it is super frustrating sometimes.
    ...So much talk it makes no sense at all...
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    I've traded with MANY friends and other fans from all over the world...
    and NEVER paid more than face value for a single sticker or button!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    derbydave said:

I've traded with MANY friends and other fans from all over the world...
    and NEVER paid more than face value for a single sticker or button!!

Same here. I went to quite a few shows in 2014, which is not something that's going to be happening every tour year for me. If you can see my sig you might get it. Unfortunately it seemed to coincide with the sticker boom (in the states. Elsewhere the merch was nowhere near as crazy.) I found out about the stickers in the fall 2013 tour but I could never get them cuz I couldn't make it to the venues early enough. I was able to complete my collection, which consists of a complete 2014 set, and then all the shows I went to that had show specific stickers made for them, and I never had to buy any for above face value. I even traded at least two people some very highly sought after stickers that would've gone for 20x face value on ebay, which i happened to wind up with by chance. If you don't buy into or participate in the crazy secondary market, collecting and trading stickers is still easy, inexpensive, and fun. My collection will be going into frames for display if I ever get around to it. I dislike ladders so I put the interior design stuff off. That said, I ain't doing it again. I mean as long as I'm gonna be there anyway to pick up 10c tickets and stuff, yea, I'll wait on the merch line. But I will not go through that bs we had at St Louis last year, nor the bs at Wrigley in 2013.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I started collecting stickers because the posters were going crazy-and they are easier to carry around...now that stickers are going like posters, not sure what I'll collect...seriously, there need to be limits on merch it would help with allowing more people to get 'something'.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,047
    great thread, thank you.
    the sticker thing isn't surprising as it is just another item that becomes limited and with them being show specific, makes them wanted more by everyone who are completist collectors.
    What saddens me just like with the guitar pick collecting world is the fakes. I don't mind the fan made stickers that are obvious to everyone but when there's a replica of a real sticker but fake, it soils the market and takes the fun out of collecting and the hunt for trying to find a missing sticker. There should be a rule where on the back of any sticker made for fun by fans or by the fake sticker makers that it is not an official sticker released by the 10c or by the band etc. I can't tell you how many times I have seen friends pay good money or trade away truly good stickers for fakes or fan made stickers thinking they were getting something of worthiness for their collections
  • Options
    I think everyone collects because they see it as currency, also because it's trendy right now and no one wants to be left out.
    What I didn't see coming was older stickers that were very much accessible now going far beyond stupid in price.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,695
    Absolutely right OP, folk paying $175 for a Gydnia or Santiago sticker is crazy. Of course they are free to do as they like, but its ridiculous to me too. I collect PJ passionately but refuse to pay these prices.....I only 'need' Santiago and in what is a weird shift in mentality for me, I will happily live without it at those prices.

• Options
    It would help a bit if Ten Club would have some when the tours are over..
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    pdalowsky said:

Absolutely right OP, folk paying $175 for a Gydnia or Santiago sticker is crazy. Of course they are free to do as they like, but its ridiculous to me too. I collect PJ passionately but refuse to pay these prices.....I only 'need' Santiago and in what is a weird shift in mentality for me, I will happily live without it at those prices.

Gasp! You're reformed!
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Suziemay said:

pdalowsky said:

Gasp! You're reformed!
    So there's hope for us ALL then!!!
    :rofl:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    Suziemay said:

pdalowsky said:

Gasp! You're reformed!
    I was gonna say...I just stumbled upon Paul's amazing collection yesterday. So this is where we draw the line? :lol:
  • Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    Fortunately, I got in at the ground floor with stickers, really enjoy trading with people and have acquired every city specific sticker (2012-present) at cost (plus shipping on trades).

Collecting to me is about the hunt. Anyone can throw a handful of money at an eBay auction to get what they want. If that makes them feel "complete" then good on them...I guess. Personally, collecting is meeting like-minded people, trading, and helping each other out.

Some people around here need to be the biggest fan and they'll throw whatever money they can at an item to make sure they own it. If that's how you collect then so be it. If that makes it harder for me to collect what I'm looking for...well I'm up for the challenge. :)
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,103
    I don't get the sticker thing so i'm with you on that one.

That being said I know alot of people that don't get the vinyl thing. Why would you spend when $30 on an album when you've already got it on cd, or could buy it on itunes for $10? lol.

I don't understand everything people collect and I don't think I need to. I understand collector mentality, so I'm guessing there's enough people interested in stickers that it's created a market for them.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I would have liked a St Paul sticker, only because I was there, but for $25 or whatever the hell it's going for? Meh. I also would haved liked the button and the shirt, but you know, when greedy pieces of shit buy all of them up at the merch table so they can flip on secondary market/trade bait, what are you going to do? it's this band's fault for not limiting purchases at shows; one of each item per person. no exceptions.

and it's not really surprising that something as seemingly worthless as a sticker would gain in popularity and then demand and then price. look at stamps. same thing. any time something says "limited" on a pearl jam item everybody loses their shit.

except those track suits. LOL. which a guy behind me in St Paul was wearing, btw. I thought it looked awesome!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    I was going to try and collect stickers from all of the shows I've been to, but quickly changed my mind when I saw how crazy the whole sticker scene is. No thanks to that.
  • Options
    i am DONE with collecting and have decided to work towards becoming a minimalist. it's gonna be a long road to recovery...

http://www.becomingminimalist.com/most-popular-posts/
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,624
    PJ should have a 2015 Merchless Tour. See if anybody shows up.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,531
    RS151862 said:

PJ should have a 2015 Merchless Tour. See if anybody shows up.

Can we still spend 4 hours though lining up in the parking lot?
  • Options
    Brane_of_JFKBrane_of_JFK Maryland Posts: 1,900
    Don't collect them either, other than from the shows I've gone to the last couple years so they can be framed along with my ticket and poster from the show.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    Holy shit, in didn't know it was that put of control. I'm glad I'm not into the stickers! I've got enough on my plate just with my vinyl collection! ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata