Jon Stewart leaving The Daily Show

Comments

• The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    I just saw this. Wonder why? I just started watching his show this year. I set it up to tape. It's top notch. Surely he'll be doing another show?
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    I just saw this and now I am sad.....maybe they will get John Oliver to come back because he killed it summer before last.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    On Comedians in Cars getting Coffee, Jon mentioned that he could not see himself doing that show in 5 years. I knew it would come to an end, but not so soon. As to another show? I don't know. He did turn down The Late Show.

There just seems to be a lot of shuffling going in late night TV. The constant I could rely on was The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    Hobbes said:

On Comedians in Cars getting Coffee, Jon mentioned that he could not see himself doing that show in 5 years. I knew it would come to an end, but not so soon. As to another show? I don't know. He did turn down The Late Show.

There just seems to be a lot of shuffling going in late night TV. The constant I could rely on was The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

I agree - you knew it was coming to an end. But I don't want it to. He's so great.
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I tend to feel the same way I did when I heard Craig Ferguson was leaving. You have to kind of think about their position - been doing it for so many years, shows doing good, he's (JS) cultivated some serious talent. Always leave 'em wanting more right? Didn't he sell his apartment recently? Maybe they're moving.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    The guy has lasted longer than anyone (including himself) ever expected. He did a great job. I wish him all the success in the world moving forward.

Congratulations Jon. You deserve it.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    i'm surprised and saddened.

i love the way he delivers the news, even if it is to get a laugh.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Maybe Crag Killborn could come back. Whatever happened to that guy? Hahaha, great career move buddy.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141

Maybe Crag Killborn could come back. Whatever happened to that guy? Hahaha, great career move buddy.

He hosted the Late Late Show after Tom Snyder then tried to be the next Greg Kinnear
    I miss igotid88
    Gonna miss him there
    I miss igotid88
    Elizabeth Warren
    51 mins ·
    Washington is rigged for the big guys - and no person has more consistently called them out for it than Jon Stewart. Good luck, Jon!
    I miss igotid88
  • For 40 years I've had a "go to" comedy show to watch at 11:00 pm.

Staring from my youth till now. My top 5

The Honeymooners

The Odd Couple

Cheers

Sienfeld

The Daily show with JS

Yes there is a NY/ Boston/ NE bias, after all I lived in NYC for 45 years. Really gonna miss Jon. It was like he was an old friend from NY.

Looks like I'll be searching for a new show to watch at 11.
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Is he the guy that lied about the helicopter in Iraq?
    Tucker Carlson just said Jon Stewart was an insecure little tool. No surprise there.
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    I read this news also, I'm so sad. Jon Stewart rocks. But I'm happy for him if that's what he wants.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Change sucks.Maybe Obama can pass an executive order demanding he stay. Who else is calling bullshit on the media's hypocrisy with their treatment of Brian Williams. Williams lied but the general media has no credibility to judge him on it since they all lie pretty regularly. We need Stewart in this type of role as a society. Hopefully his replacement is up for the task to fill his shoes.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    This blows. Stewart is so excellent at what he does, and he/The Daily Show will definitely be missed. Gonna be sad and strange on Comedy Central without TDS and The Colbert Report.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    He really changed the game in terms of making fun of/point out the flaws in our news media. I have watched his show since high school and he has probably informed me about current events more than anyone/anything else.. Kept me engaged and entertained while teaching the basics about complicated issues that I can then go back and research for myself is an incredible talent.

Jon said he wants to have dinner with his kids on a school night. I feel bad that there are jobs out there that can and do deprive people of that. One of biggest memories of my childhood is of my family and I sitting around the dinner table every night. Good on him for making this a priority.

There is no way John Oliver will leave HBO.. I think the replacement will be a current correspondent, not sure who though. I am glad they are keeping the show, just replacing the host. Colbert Report had to end when Colbert left, but there are many great correspondents on the Daily Show that can continue Stewart's 'legacy'.

Sad day, you will be missed Jon. I hope these final few months include many great segments and reunions with old correspondents.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    FrankieG said:

He really changed the game in terms of making fun of/point out the flaws in our news media. I have watched his show since high school and he has probably informed me about current events more than anyone/anything else.. Kept me engaged and entertained while teaching the basics about complicated issues that I can then go back and research for myself is an incredible talent.

Jon said he wants to have dinner with his kids on a school night. I feel bad that there are jobs out there that can and do deprive people of that. One of biggest memories of my childhood is of my family and I sitting around the dinner table every night. Good on him for making this a priority.

There is no way John Oliver will leave HBO.. I think the replacement will be a current correspondent, not sure who though. I am glad they are keeping the show, just replacing the host. Colbert Report had to end when Colbert left, but there are many great correspondents on the Daily Show that can continue Stewart's 'legacy'.

Sad day, you will be missed Jon. I hope these final few months include many great segments and reunions with old correspondents.

Yeah, John Oliver is fantastic right where he is.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,788
    edited February 2015
    Never watched the show.
    Have no idea who this guy is.
    What did I miss?

Post edited by SPEEDY MCCREADY on
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    samjam said:

This blows. Stewart is so excellent at what he does, and he/The Daily Show will definitely be missed. Gonna be sad and strange on Comedy Central without TDS and The Colbert Report.

The Daily Show will still be there. Just a different host.
    I miss igotid88
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    igotid88 said:

samjam said:

The Daily Show will still be there. Just a different host.
    Ah, mistake. Was getting at that it's gonna be different without Colbert and Stewart.

"Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Sad day indeed! One of the smartest guys on television who tells it how it is!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582

Tucker Carlson just said Jon Stewart was an insecure little tool. No surprise there.

Yeah, I am sure if I got my ass handed to me like this too, I would be a bit bitter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFQFB5YpDZE

I figured there was some sort of on air "discussion" that pissed tucker off. That was good.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582

I figured there was some sort of on air "discussion" that pissed tucker off. That was good.

Incredible
  • smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    wonder if John Oliver wishes he waited a bit longer before jumping to HBO
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    smarchee said:

wonder if John Oliver wishes he waited a bit longer before jumping to HBO

This has me wondering when Stewart started to think about the end. I would like to think he told Oliver to hold off a bit and he could have his chair permanently because Oliver just killed it when he filled in for Stewart. Maybe Oliver did know this, but still wanted to do his own thing on HBO. Unfortunately, I do not have HBO, but I can only imagine his show is awesome.