Options

Pearl Jam 2016 Rock Hall Of Fame

Comments

• Options
    bbisonbbison Posts: 219

Rush? Seriously? They were easily a nostalgia band by then and long have been.

Everyone has their opinions...but "Clockwork Angels" was their best album in years; certainly my fave since "Hemispheres." The tour was unlike anything they'd ever done before.
    Is this where the show list goes?

11-26-91 / 8-2-92 / 3-15-94 / 7-9-95 / 7-11-95 / 8-29-98 / 9-1-00 / 10-25-03 
    10-23-04 / 10-22-06 / 10-9-09 / 10-23-10 / 10-3-12 / 7-9-13 / 10-21-13
    11-24-13 / 11-26-13 / 10-17-14 / 10-20-14 / 10-25-14 / 4-8-16 / 4-9-16
     4-28-16 / 4-29-16 / 8-20-16 / 8-22-16 / 8-10-18 / 8-18-18 / 8-20-18
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Clockwork Angels is a freakin masterpiece. My favorite album by any artist so far this decade.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Carrie Brownstein?

Probably be Neil, though.
  • Options
    They shouldn't accept it. If you are still relevant why join the club?

I wish PJ would say "no thank you, not right now"...
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    How can I get tickets for this...
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832

Green Day are fake punk.
    Chili Peppers ... yes but they don't "rock" and aren't any good live.
    Rush? Seriously? They were easily a nostalgia band by then and long have been.
    Metallica rocks but they also have sucked for years. Last good LP was in '89. At least U2 put out Achtung in '91.

Even questioning if PJ will be inducted in the first year is beyond silly. They're a no-brainer shoo-in. No wonder you mentioned Rush and Metallica. Ha ha. :)

your argument for PJ being the only relevant band to get into the hall, which they haven't done yet, is subjective at best.

green day, metallica, and RHCP are far more "relevant" (whatever that means, really) than PJ currently are in the scope of the music industry. most people who used to be fans of the band in the old days only knew they were still together and making music from the target commercials.

you want to talk about nostalgia? how about a band who makes a movie about their origins? ;)

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    and PJ are hardly a shoe in for their first eligible year. FAR from it. they didn't usher in a new wave of music. they merely rode the wave.

if Ten came out today, would it have the same impact as it did in 1991? I would say Nevermind would. Ten? not so sure.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,210

and PJ are hardly a shoe in for their first eligible year. FAR from it. they didn't usher in a new wave of music. they merely rode the wave.

if Ten came out today, would it have the same impact as it did in 1991? I would say Nevermind would. Ten? not so sure.

Pearl Jam would have gotten inducted before Nirvana had Bleach not have come out in 1989. As far as relevant goes,they're the most copied rock band ever! Just look into how they recorded Binaural. That album was never meant to be played in a car or through stereo speakers.
  • Options
    joseph33 said:

Pearl Jam would have gotten inducted before Nirvana had Bleach not have come out in 1989. As far as relevant goes,they're the most copied rock band ever! Just look into how they recorded Binaural. That album was never meant to be played in a car or through stereo speakers.
    not a chance. Nirvana was the atomic bomb. Pearl Jam was a grenade. I am a bigger fan of PJ than Nirvana, but culturally speaking, Nirvana will always be remembered as THE band of the 90's. Pearl Jam? a distant second.

not really sure how binaural was recorded makes any difference in the context of this discussion.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    A distant second? Maybe if Kurt doesn't blow his brains out and they make 5 more albums. But pearl Jam, imo, has crept up to a close second in the grand scheme
  • Options

A distant second? Maybe if Kurt doesn't blow his brains out and they make 5 more albums. But pearl Jam, imo, has crept up to a close second in the grand scheme

yes, culturally speaking, the impact that nirvana made, especially in such a short time. pearl jam isn't even close.

my opinion.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    As a person who grew up after the grunge era I can say that if it weren't for Smells like teen spirit and the suicide Nirvana would be on the same level as pearl jam amongst people my age.
  • Options
    in my opinion, nirvana made that impact before kurt died. I think that legacy was cemented long before that happened. but again, just my opinion.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    anyway, back on topic.....why do people feel it's necessary for a band to be inducted by someone younger than them who have been influenced by them? who would be in that category for pearl jam? i can't think of anyone off the top.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,210
    There was an interview of Kurt a ways back where he stated Ed was a nice guy,he just didnt like their music. He also,thought they jumped the grunge band wagon. Look at his face and body language when he is speaking. He was threatened by a band he was afraid would be bigger than Nirvana,and he was right. Ed's vocal range blows away anything Kurt could ever dream of. I will credit him for being a genius at song writing. Everybody knows the seeds of grunge began with Green River. Two members of that band were not in Nirvana. Could you guess who they might be? Does Nirvana belong to the HOF,absolutely! But make no mistake,Pearl Jam will be in Los Angeles in 2016 to take their rightful place. I will retire this argument with agree to disagree.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited February 2015
    joseph33 said:

Just....no.

Most copied band ever? Get real. Pearl Jam have several strengths, but originality and influence aren't among them.

I hardly like Nirvana, but their impact and lasting influence is far beyond anything PJ has approached. The extent of PJ's influence is a handful of really bad Vedder ripoffs.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,385
    DewieCox said:

joseph33 said:

Just....no.

Most copied band ever? Get real. Pearl Jam have several strengths, but originality and influence aren't among them.

I hardly like Nirvana, but their impact and lasting influence is far beyond anything PJ has approached. The extent of PJ's influence is a handful of really bad Vedder ripoffs.
    I wouldn't say Nirvana was original as well. They were both making music that was different though.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    joseph33 said:

Just wanted to hear some thoughts on who you think will induct Pearl Jam into the Rock Hall Of Fame in 2016. I have my money on Neil Young inducting them.

Is Liam Finn able to?
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427

PJ will be the first major band inducted that is still touring, rocking, together and ... relevant.

U2 was already putting out crap albums and had become a show. No one else even comes close.

HoF is a silly thing in itself and technically means little for PJ. But in some ways, it's a huge deal. They're gonna be the only relevant band that's been inducted and they're gonna tear up the stage when they play.

I disagree on "only relevant band inducted". Elvis Costello may not write "My Aim Is True" every time he does an album, but he's absolutely still touring and relevant. And no, the Clash are obviously not touring, but clearly you can't say "only relevant band" and not include the Clash and the Talking Heads!
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    RiotZact said:

As a person who grew up after the grunge era I can say that if it weren't for Smells like teen spirit and the suicide Nirvana would be on the same level as pearl jam amongst people my age.

Agreed.

Yes, Smell's like Teen Spirit was the tune that broke down all the barriers but PJ overtook Nirvana and was bigger by 1993 (for instance, compare initial sales/reviews of Vs to In Utero). Kurt's suicide was (not to sound insensitive) the deal breaker and, for me, that's quite....sad on so many levels.

For what it's worth, both bands deserve to be in - and PJ is a no brainer for 2016.

• Options
    joseph33 said:

There was an interview of Kurt a ways back where he stated Ed was a nice guy,he just didnt like their music. He also,thought they jumped the grunge band wagon. Look at his face and body language when he is speaking. He was threatened by a band he was afraid would be bigger than Nirvana,and he was right. Ed's vocal range blows away anything Kurt could ever dream of. I will credit him for being a genius at song writing. Everybody knows the seeds of grunge began with Green River. Two members of that band were not in Nirvana. Could you guess who they might be? Does Nirvana belong to the HOF,absolutely! But make no mistake,Pearl Jam will be in Los Angeles in 2016 to take their rightful place. I will retire this argument with agree to disagree.

Now we are experts on what kurt actually thought when he stated something to the contrary in an interview on tv? A pretty big stretch, i must say.

PJ never eclipsed nirvana. And never will. Part of the teason pj got as big as they did was the absence of kurt after he died. He left a void and pj helped fill that.

Ed's vocal range vs Kurt's has zero to do with anything. Kurt wasn't a very good guitar player, either. His voice sucked sometimes, but that is what punk rock is, and why he legitimately disliked Ten. Too slick. Would have liked vs or vitalogy? My guess is he may have liked the latter, but we will never know. Maybe he would have hailed no code as a masterpiece, who knows. He loved rem and the beatles but hated radio friendly unit shifters like pj. Bizarre.

We all know that kurt was an enigma wrapped in hypocrisy, wanting to be famous for writing pop songs but publicly decrying jeff and stone for being careerists, but the fact remains in my eyes that pj is not a slam dunk for 2016, and nirvana was, and should have been, one of the only 100% without a doubt shoe ins for first year eligibility.

but again, thats just my take on it.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    EddieshometownEddieshometown Evanston, IL Posts: 974
    Mookie
    6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
    5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
    8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
    5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    edited February 2015

joseph33 said:

Now we are experts on what kurt actually thought when he stated something to the contrary in an interview on tv? A pretty big stretch, i must say.

PJ never eclipsed nirvana. And never will.
    I don't agree...PJ was bigger than Nirvana in 1993... They did indeed surpass them - at least in terms over mass popularity. Don't get me wrong, Nirvana is awesome (I even preferred them back then) but Pj was still ascending during the period of Kurt's ultimate demise.

...I appreciate your statement of "that's just my take on it" as I suppose the above comments are simply my own (fading) memory of how it was over two decades ago.
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    For something to think pearl jam hasn't eclipsed nrivana is just crazy. If you compare pearl jams first 4 or 5 cds to nirvanas catalog, pearl jam blows nirvana away. For all of you Billy corgan fans, song for song, pearl jam destroys nirvana.
  • Options
    ronant13ronant13 altoona pa. Posts: 3
    I think Ben Harper would be the best choice to induct them .
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412

For something to think pearl jam hasn't eclipsed nrivana is just crazy. If you compare pearl jams first 4 or 5 cds to nirvanas catalog, pearl jam blows nirvana away. For all of you Billy corgan fans, song for song, pearl jam destroys nirvana.

I do agree that PJ has had a better(more accomplished) career over the long run and also that PJ has better songs, but a major aspect for induction is influence and overall impact and PJ just isn't close to what Nirvana achieved in that field.

I'm not sure that PJ was ever bigger than Nirvana, but they were every bit their equal when it comes to the "biggest rock band in the world" argument. I don't think either band got as big as GnR at the time, but that neither here nor there.

I also can't deny that Cobains's suicide has done great things for their longstanding image, but there was no doubt of their impact from the get go. It's not like in April '94 people started calling Nirvana the voice of a generation and the saviors of rock. That was there the instant Teen Spirit debuted on MTV.
  • Options

as dewie said, the rock hall isn't about longevity, it's about impact. nothing was as impactful as nirvana was from that era.

again, I'm not arguing that pearl jam was better or worse, I'm just saying that nirvana started it all. sure, pj was huge.

now that I rethink things, yes, pearl jam was bigger before kurt's suicide. nirvana was playing half empty halls for in utero and pj was selling out arenas and festivals. but again, impact is the big thing here. not popularity.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,493

They are a 1000% lock. Not going to list all the reasons but the Hall loves Ed and Ed loves them back.

And as far as ushering in a new wave of music they did. Yes, Nirvana was the "first" but we're they really? Green River probably was. So don't get that point. PJ was just as big as Nirvana at the same time.

Just hoping its at Barclays or MSG.
  • Options

They are a 1000% lock. Not going to list all the reasons but the Hall loves Ed and Ed loves them back.

And as far as ushering in a new wave of music they did. Yes, Nirvana was the "first" but we're they really? Green River probably was. So don't get that point. PJ was just as big as Nirvana at the same time.

Just hoping its at Barclays or MSG.
    green river started it, but they didn't bring it to the masses. green river didn't have the pop sensibility that made people stand up and go WTF!!

yes, I already conceded that pj was as big as nirvana in 93. but big, to me, isn't the issue here. But even after all of this discussion, I honestly think the RRHOF is a joke. it really surprises me that Ed so quickly jumps on that bandwagon, when it is essentially an award for art. and we all know how he feels about that. I guess if it's artists he likes........

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited February 2015
    Pearl Jam will be in the HOF for different reasons than Nirvana. There's not much sense in arguing about which band deserves it more, who was on a higher level, who said what about whom, etc. Their careers and places in music history are on completely different levels and both bands deserve to be in the Hall for the impact they have in music history. Nirvana may have built the house, but Pearl Jam are the ones that moved in and maintained it.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on