Options

Better Call Saul WARNING Spoiler Alert

Comments

• Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    What a fantastic episode this evening! Nice to see more familiar faces and how everything is falling into place. Big moment with Nacho that made me think of Walt & Jesse hiring Saul in the desert. Saul Goodman is almost here. He looked a lot like Gene in the commercial... :)
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    Several comments about a season as Gene reminded me of something. I watched BB from when episode 1 aired. One thing has always bugged me, and maybe I just completely missed it/forgot.
    But what did Saul do that made him run and become Gene?
    Pretty much all the illegal stuff would be protected under attorney/client, right? Saul didnt help him sell drugs, I cant even remember him helping launder money (gave advice on it, but didnt help directly). He knew walt was a drug lorg and introduced him to a lot of bad people and helped with his escape and new identity only by introducing him the the "vacuum cleaner" guy or whoever he was.
    So what did Saul do in BB, that the cops were aware of and could prove and wasnt protected by attorney/client that would warrant him becoming Gene and hiding out?
    He was just the shady lawyer who had all the connections and knew all the dirty details. But knowing isn't illegal, and he wouldn't be allowed to come forward even if he wanted to.
    So what did I miss?
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    last 2 episodes was great..previousd was ok
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    mace1229 said:
    Several comments about a season as Gene reminded me of something. I watched BB from when episode 1 aired. One thing has always bugged me, and maybe I just completely missed it/forgot.
    Pretty much all the illegal stuff would be protected under attorney/client, right? Saul didnt help him sell drugs, I cant even remember him helping launder money (gave advice on it, but didnt help directly). He knew walt was a drug lorg and introduced him to a lot of bad people and helped with his escape and new identity only by introducing him the the "vacuum cleaner" guy or whoever he was.
    So what did Saul do in BB, that the cops were aware of and could prove and wasnt protected by attorney/client that would warrant him becoming Gene and hiding out?
    He was just the shady lawyer who had all the connections and knew all the dirty details. But knowing isn't illegal, and he wouldn't be allowed to come forward even if he wanted to.
    So what did I miss?

Wasn't Saul taking a cut of the profits from Walt/Jesse?  I remember him talking about his "percentage" quite a few times during BB.  And wasn't he the one who helped them launder their drug money.  I'm no legal expert but I'm guessing there were several crimes that he could have been charged with after it came out that Walt was Heisenberg.

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    So what did I miss?

Wasn't Saul taking a cut of the profits from Walt/Jesse?  I remember him talking about his "percentage" quite a few times during BB.  And wasn't he the one who helped them launder their drug money.  I'm no legal expert but I'm guessing there were several crimes that he could have been charged with after it came out that Walt was Heisenberg.

Its been a few years, so maybe. But I thought he was more of making the connections for Walt and advice on how to launder, but not actually laundering himself. And taking a cut was just he retainer fee. I'm not a law expert, but I wouldn't think it matters how your client attains his money when he pays you, Saul wasn't involved in the drug making or dealing. He made the connection to Mike/Gus for Walt, gave legal advise on how to not get caught, gave advise on how to launder. But I wouldn't think any of that is actually illegal. Completely shady, yes.
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    mace1229 said:
    So what did I miss?
    Guilt by association. Walt is the biggest drug dealer in the US. Hebdid horrible things including being ultimately responsible for the death of 2 DEA agents. He's got knowledge of murders and helped cover up crimes.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    But knowledge is not a crime, especially for an attorney.
    They may have some cover-up, and impeding an investigation on a few things, but nothing I would see worth dropping your life and working at cinnabon over. They cant charge him with the DEA murders just because his client did it and he was aware of it after the fact. Most of his involvement was after the fact and just helping Walt keep clean. There's no law that says you have to report a crime, and there are laws against speaking out against your client.
    Maybe they can get him with aiding the money laundry, but that'd be about it I would think. I just always thought that ending was too extreme for Saul.
    I just don't think there is anything illegal if I go to an attorney I have on retainer and say "I just killed someone, what should I do?" and he gives you advice on what to do in order to stay out of jail, the attorney hasn't done anything wrong, has he? I just dont see Saul in nearly as much legal trouble as they made him out to be.
    Think about Kardashian and OJ. A lot of people think Kardashian helped cover up by taking that bag from OJ at the airport and destroying what was inside. But detectives couldn't even ask Kardashian what was in the bag because he was the attorney.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    If Gene is looking to keep a low profile, why in the heck is he working in a mall of all places?  Seems like one of worst professions to choose while on the lamb.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    Pretty sure Saul committed about 34.5 felonies.

• Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Well, is it criminal to have Francesca call Hank and say his wife was in a car accident to get hank to leave the salvage yard? Or like you said, laundering millions in drug money. Conspiracy to commit murder. 
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    He also didn't want any of the drug dealers coming after him. He needed to disappear in order to live.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,254
    edited May 2017
    The reason he ran was multi fold.
    The cartel knew of Saul and his "assistance" to Walt and Jesse...not to mention Saul having worked for Gus in the past.
    The Nazi/rednecks were becoming a big player in the scene.  This is the same group that managed to off all of Lydia's men who were in jail in a matter of a minute.
    The authorities and the DEA were getting close.  LIke mace suggested, the attorney/client confidentiality can cover "advice" but only goes so far.  Saul had his hands in a number of different illegal matters.  If a prosecutor could show he used his position as lawyer to advise or encourage illegal activity, he will not only get debarred, but will certainly go to jail.  Saul also had more than enough evidence at his office (multiple cell phones, piles and piles of money, etc.).  The money alone could get him busted for unreported income.
    He also didn't know the status of Jesse.

There were too many people that could point the finger in his direction and who knew too much, not to mention some bad guys who would want to off "the lawyer" as to not implicate them in any of these crimes.  
    Too many things were collapsing around him so the best option was to leave and become anonymous.   
    Post edited by mca47 on
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,237
    Thoughts on last night?  Saul was definitely having drinks with Kim.....
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279

Loved it.

The last scene with Jimmy throwing his brother under the bus after getting screwed with the insurance was a classic Saul Goodman move.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Loved it.

The last scene with Jimmy throwing his brother under the bus after getting screwed with the insurance was a classic Saul Goodman move.

Yep.  Fantastic!
    I loved the scene at the bar.  I'm thinking Kim is really starting to see Jimmy for who he really is.  Her realization of what they did to Chuck, then seeing his plan to take that rich guy down, while pocketing $5k...you could tell she was worried!  Like "um, what the fuck dude?"
    I do feel Mike's warning to Nacho is going to come in play.  I think his attempt to kill Hector will fail (obviously) but I don't see Nacho making it beyond this year.  I think he'll get caught and killed.  
  • Options
    mca47 said:

Loved it.

Yep.  Fantastic!
    I loved the scene at the bar.  I'm thinking Kim is really starting to see Jimmy for who he really is.  Her realization of what they did to Chuck, then seeing his plan to take that rich guy down, while pocketing $5k...you could tell she was worried!  Like "um, what the fuck dude?"
    I do feel Mike's warning to Nacho is going to come in play.  I think his attempt to kill Hector will fail (obviously) but I don't see Nacho making it beyond this year.  I think he'll get caught and killed.  
    Wait...isn't Nacho in Breaking Bad for a little bit?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Pretty sure he isn't.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    mca47 said:

Loved it.

Yep.  Fantastic!
    No.  But his name was mentioned.  When Walt and Jesse were wearing masks and took Saul out into the desert at gunpoint, Saul screamed "It wasn't me, it was Ignacio".  I think I read something where the writers confirmed Ignacio is Nacho...
  • Options
    mca47 said:

Loved it.

Yep.  Fantastic!
    No.  But his name was mentioned.  When Walt and Jesse were wearing masks and took Saul out into the desert at gunpoint, Saul screamed "It wasn't me, it was Ignacio".  I think I read something where the writers confirmed Ignacio is Nacho...
    Interesting.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    mca47 said:

Loved it.

Yep.  Fantastic!
    He looked familiar to me. 

Damn it. I feel like I might need to watchinmg Breaking Bad again. I binged it so quickly I'm forgetting a lot of stuff
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,237
    Great episode last night.  Kim's days are numbered I fear.  Mental breakdown almost certain.  
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    Last night's episode was excellent! I'm so excited for the finale next week!  As soon as I saw Kim's car out of control at the oil field I got scared for her. Jimmy (Saul) hustling Irene and her friends was interesting. I've seen a lot of comments about how much people hate him now over that. Really? What were they expecting from the guy that suggested offing Badger? Love the Howard vs. Chuck tension. Nacho's plan is in effect and it was awesome to see how Lydia set up Mike's "employment". He was only supposed to work with Gus for 20 weeks. It really is awesome getting to see all the dots connected pre-Walter White. Hopefully, Hank and Marie will show up next season! 
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    Poor Irene but make a decision already.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Last night's episode was excellent! I'm so excited for the finale next week!  As soon as I saw Kim's car out of control at the oil field I got scared for her. Jimmy (Saul) hustling Irene and her friends was interesting. I've seen a lot of comments about how much people hate him now over that. Really? What were they expecting from the guy that suggested offing Badger? Love the Howard vs. Chuck tension. Nacho's plan is in effect and it was awesome to see how Lydia set up Mike's "employment". He was only supposed to work with Gus for 20 weeks. It really is awesome getting to see all the dots connected pre-Walter White. Hopefully, Hank and Marie will show up next season! 
    Excellent episode all around. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Starting to try to catch up.  Watched the trial episode which was awesome and the one after, which is okay.  Gonna keep trucking.
  • Options
    Great episode.
    I too have read the negative comments about Jimmy hustling Irene.  He did them all a giant favor.  Granted he benefited from it, but by the time those old ladies got their payout, many wouldn't even be around anymore.  Those old ladies would be buddies again in no time too.
    I knew something was going to happen to Kim when she was stumbling over that legal stuff with her client.  
    The clock is ticking on Kim, Chuck, and Nacho.
    I'm thinking...
    Kim is going to realize she can't keep it up and can't keep dealing with Jimmy and his financial bullshit.  That, or it combined with seeing Jimmy do something really bad or getting involved with some bad dudes who may threaten her...either way, I think she's going to skip town.
    It's going to be interesting to see what Chuck does with HHM.  I don't think he has a legit legal leg to stand on.  I think it would be interesting to see if somehow his "disease"/condition actually does kill him.
    Nacho is a goner.  Hector is going to find out and off him...and maybe even his dad.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    fell asleep while watching the finale tonight.  I was pretty exhausted.  Caught the beginning of the it and like the last 10 minutes or so :lol:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Alright. I'm back in. Up to the finale. I thought the beginning of this season was brutal but it picked up
  • Options
    Wow. What an ending!
    Tom O.
    -The Writer