Phase shootout?

I love the phaser---Thanks to Pearl Jam and Incubus. I started out with the digitech hyperphase (which was great except it sucked tone worse than...uhh....a vacuum) and moved on to a Phase 90 (block version). I just discovered the Phase 99 (in video). Has anyone used the Phase 100 or Phase 99? How do they compare to the Phase 90? Also, what is your favorite phaser and why?
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Not really familiar with the MXR phasers. I'm pretty sure Gilmour used a 100 and Wish You Were Here has some tasty phases tones on just about every song. Maybe a Leslie and and studio trickery, but he trusted the MXR enough to cover those sorts of sounds live.

Did have the Digitech that you mention, and I just could never get along with it. Just too much going on and too digital sounding.

I acquired an EHX Small Stone in a trade a long time ago and it's truly one of the tastiest sounding pedals I've ever had. It suffered from volume drop and mine started becoming a little finicky so I moved onto and Earthquaker Devices Grand Orbiter. Really cool, simple with a lot of variety in the sounds it offers up.
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    I use the Whirlwind Orange box and love it. The Whirlwind folks who designed it are the ones who designed the original phase 90. I've had no issues with it
    http://whirlwindusa.com/news/product-review-whirlwind-orange-box-phaser-guitar-/
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    I have owned a lot of phasers in the past and the one that really stands out (and the only one I still own) is the Homebrew Electronics Psilocybe Phaser.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, Arizona Posts: 466
    Hi- I don't have a phaser, but was thinking about getting one at some point. What PJ songs have a good example of phaser tone? Thanks!
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    In general, most Incubus songs use it. For PJ, Low Light, Black (guitar riff sound before Ed sings the bridge part), opening to Given to Fly, and many live versions of songs including Ledbetter, Army Reserve, Rearview Mirror, and Black.
    Thanks! I'm having a hard time hearing it, I guess. Incubus is one of my favorites, and I haven't listened to them in awhile. Maybe I'll break out Morning View again. :)
    Wonderful! Morning View and Make Yourself are my favorites. For Morning View, here are some phaser songs:

Warning: Overdrive/Phase/Delay (especially during the first minutes.
    Nice To Know You (One of my all time favs!): The guitar at the beginning is phase with delay. Also during the bridge.
    Blood on the Ground: Phase with overdrive can be heard in the beginning.
    Echo and Are you In are almost all phase and overdrive.
    Under My Umbrella: During the breakdown you hear phase and overdrive.

Honestly...Morning View songs all have phase at some point.
    Those are mine too!! I just finished listening to Morning View- you're right, I think there's some phaser on most of those songs. I thought you'd like this video I found last night (tour of Mike's pedal board). http://youtu.be/W4nh-Yy925g
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    If you dig those types of videos and/or have some pretty eclectic taste in music, make sure to check out Premier Guitar's youtube channel and their huge list of Rig Rundowns.
    DewieCox said:

If you dig those types of videos and/or have some pretty eclectic taste in music, make sure to check out Premier Guitar's youtube channel and their huge list of Rig Rundowns.

I do like those! Its always interesting to see how musicians have set up their rigs. Thanks!
    Premier Guitar has some AWESOME rig rundowns
  • savmansavman Posts: 230
    I have a MXR phase 90 as well. I run it through the front which gives me a little extra noise though.