Options

Pick Thickness

So Im still on the up swing when it comes to guitar. I started off feeling more comfortable with a thin pick but recently have found myself more comfortable with a medium thickness pick. Is this normal? Is it a sign that I may be making some progress? Any insight would be appreciated

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I've gone through so many phases over the years, it's hard to keep track of where I am at any given time. I started with a super-thin pick (Dunlop nylon .60mm), and then gradually moved up to a super-thick pick (Dunlop nylon 1mm), and then backtracked. I now use a Dunlop nylon .73mm on electric, and .88mm on acoustic, although I'll use a medium tortex pick anytime. Generally, a thinner pick will be more forgiving, so you can be a bit sloppy and aggressive, whereas a thicker pick has less flex, requiring more finesse to play correctly.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    All depends, for me. I love the Dunlop tortex picks. The .60 are used for acoustic recording. .73 are used for live acoustic and electric. .88 are used for electric recording. 1.14 are used on heavy songs.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Options
    wgwg Posts: 411
    I have Been using 2.0 mm Dunlop for the last decade and no looking back. At the his point, anything under 1.14 is wayyy to thin. A thick pick can sound like a thin pick, but a thin pick will never sound like a thick one.
  • Options
    Bud ColderBud Colder Baltimore Posts: 142
    I use the .60 which I think is a medium. Dunlop tortex picks on Electric and my acoustic guitars. When I started to play I got some different guitar picks till I found the one that felt right.good luck and don't give up.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I like a pretty heavy pick for electric and any acoustic (1.14-1.5mm) where more single notes are incorporated, and a pretty thin(.5) for strumming

Material can make a difference to. I like the tortex material and that's what I've mostly played through the years, but I tried some nylon Herco picks to get my Jimmy Page on and they were cool in a much different way. The only way I can describe it is that they are sorta flappy and they really contribute the loose sloppy Page style.

I was turned on to V-picks several months ago and decided to order a few. I've kinda stuck with a 1.5 mm version with an unbuffed edge for a slight chirp. It's been virtually indestructible and I've luckily not lost it.
  • Options
    I've been a Dunlop Nylon guy for everything (bass, electric guitar, acoustic guitar) for about 5 years now.

Bass (I'm typically a finger player, but I do use picks here and there) I go between a .73 and a .88. Typically its just whatever the song calls for.

Guitar it seems to be guitar specific. My 90s Danelectro DC I use a really thin .38 pick a lot
    My wrap around tail piece Gibsons I very between .60 and .73s (depending on what the song needs).

Acoustics I tend to like the .60s, but have played up to ta .88 on certain songs. My old Art and Luntherie I'd tend to use a heavier pick then what I use on my Guild D50.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    Mitch24Mitch24 Newfoundland Posts: 27
    I recently went to a local music store and bought a variety of thicknesses to try out and have to say 0.88 are ones I feel most comfortable using. Was searching for a pick I could use for acoustic and electric and this pick is definitely it.

Also got some dragon heart picks to try, just need to pick them up!
    2013 : Worcester 1 & 2
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    I grab whatever comes out of the bowl
    www.cluthelee.com