Options

when making a playlist or playing Pearl Jam for a non-fan...............

Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
do you play a) greatest hits stuff; b) mostly greatest hits with a few rarities thrown in; c) or very few of the famous shit and the rest lesser known songs and rarities

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited January 2015
    I play the stuff that the non-fan has possibly never heard before... so basically any album after Vitalogy, lol. And i get very positive reactions for everything up to and including Avocado.... i get a universally negative reaction to Backspacer, and only lukewarm reactions to LB, at best (and very bad reactions to Sirens, btw... it actually makes me feel embarrassed). So i now just play No Code through S/T for my non-fan guests. Or Vault 3 or LO2L.
    I don't bother with play lists. I wouldn't play more than one or two PJ albums in a night for non-fans, so I'm not about to make them listen to PJ all night long. I wouldn't even want to listen to that, so they sure aren't going to want to! When I have company I play the music for my guests' entertainment, not mine. I actually always ask for them participate in the music selection (if they are interested). Lately, the game is for the guests to just call, for example, "19th from the left in the middle right square". And that's the album we listen to, and no cheating. It's fun. :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Just give them Yield and make sure it's not compressed so they can hear all the gooey layers in those recordings.

:-)
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    PJ_Soul wrote: »
    I play the stuff that the non-fan has possibly never heard before... so basically any album after Vitalogy, lol. And i get very positive reactions for everything up to and including Avocado.... i get a universally negative reaction to Backspacer, and only lukewarm reactions to LB, at best (and very bad reactions to Sirens, btw... it actually makes me feel embarrassed). So i now just play No Code through S/T for my non-fan guests. Or Vault 3 or LO2L.
    I don't bother with play lists. I wouldn't play more than one or two PJ albums in a night for non-fans, so I'm not about to make them listen to PJ all night long. I wouldn't even want to listen to that, so they sure aren't going to want to! When I have company I play the music for my guests' entertainment, not mine. I actually always ask for them participate in the music selection (if they are interested). Lately, the game is for the guests to just call, for example, "19th from the left in the middle right square". And that's the album we listen to, and no cheating. It's fun. :)
    I never play any weird shit, but I am not playing the shit they have heard on the radio either, I do playlists with songs from every album including Lost Dogs, so no Sweet Lew, but also no Even Flow, but definitely Oceans, Blood, Last Exit, Off He Goes, Low Light, Of The Girl, Sad, I Am Mine, Severed Hand, Force Of Nature and Yellow Moon just to name a few
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6a8WvFbspA
    Post edited by Big Bank Hank on
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    (and very bad reactions to Sirens, btw... it actually makes me feel embarrassed)

people need to see the beauty in this song, one of my favorite PJ songs right now. I think when people are listening to pearl jam they want TEN, I always keep an open mind when I start a new album because I just figure it won't be like the last. There isn't an album I don't love now :D
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    ehbacon wrote: »
    (and very bad reactions to Sirens, btw... it actually makes me feel embarrassed)

people need to see the beauty in this song, one of my favorite PJ songs right now. I think when people are listening to pearl jam they want TEN, I always keep an open mind when I start a new album because I just figure it won't be like the last. There isn't an album I don't love now :D

that is why I always play videos with lyrics so they can see how awesome Eddie's poetry then they are all fans after that unless they just suck, lol
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pA-_DND-tc
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,677
    edited January 2015
    The fucking lyrics are wrong. Did a deaf person put that video together? U can even copy and paste from the lyric section at tenclub. Morons
    Post edited by THEBIBLEISTEN on
  • Options
    rtwilli4rtwilli4 Posts: 261
    Yea that's pretty bad... that's pretty much the best part of the song and they messed it up!
  • Options
    rtwilli4 wrote: »
    Yea that's pretty bad... that's pretty much the best part of the song and they messed it up!

lol, probably someone translated the spanish lyrics to english using a translator, most lyrics videos don't have those errors