FOH Engineer Greg Nelson Chooses Waves For Pearl Jam

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
http://livedesignonline.com/foh-engineer-greg-nelson-chooses-waves-pearl-jam

GregNelson.JPG

Top FOH engineer Greg Nelson (Pearl Jam, Incubus) chooses to use Waves Audio plugins and Waves MultiRack SoundGrid when touring with Pearl Jam.

Nelson recalls, “I started using Waves in 2002 while mixing some live bootlegs for Incubus. I think it was just the Waves L1 Ultramaximizer and the Waves C4 Multiband Compressor on the master to smooth out the mix a bit. They sounded better than anything else around at the time and I loved using them. I was so excited when they were made available for use in a live environment.”

Describing his current setup on the road with Pearl Jam, Nelson says, “I am mixing Pearl Jam on a DiGiCo SD5 with Waves MultiRack SoundGrid and the Waves Server One. My favorite Waves plugins when working with Pearl Jam are the MV2 for kick and especially snare; the H-Comp Hybrid Compressor for vocals; the C6 Multiband Compressor for vocals and slight master bus tuning; and the CLA-3A Compressor/Limiter for guitars. I also use the Waves API 550 EQ, which works great on anything! On the master busses, I just use the Renaissance Compressor for some slight compression (a ratio of 1.8), and just a taste of the C6 again to smooth things out. I am a big believer in letting your live mix have dynamics and letting everything breathe. On my rec bus I do a bit of mastering with a Waves L2 Ultramaximizer, a C6, a Waves Q10 Equalizer (still great after all these years) and a bit of Waves S1 Stereo Imager just to widen the mix a bit, as I don't do too much hard panning in arena shows.”

“Waves just makes the SD5 so much better,” Nelson adds. “Waves plugins run so seamlessly that I often forget they’re not just part of the console!”

For more information, please visit www.waveslive.com.

Comments

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,375
    When thirsty I prefer Waves Cola...
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore