Options

Bias, grrr

Thanks for the email reminding me only US fans can enter the Mad Season ticket lottery. I had forgotten.
14.10.2000 Houston, 09.09.2006 Marseilles, 11.09.2006 Paris, 18.06.2007 London, 17.08.2009 Manchester, 18.08.2009 London, 22.06.2010 Dublin, 23.06.2010 Belfast, 25.06.2010 London

Comments

• Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,231
    Lol, no shit. Tired of all the US only contests.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    I'm tired of it too.
    But I would also like to think that 10c would never have a contest for PJ tix for US residents only.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    Oh c'mon, it's not bias, it's a matter of simple logic. You open up a contest to anyone in the world and you have to deal with every other country's laws.

And they have done contests for PJ/EV tickets and limited them to US residents only.
  • Options
    And they have done contests for PJ/EV tickets and limited them to US residents only.

Which ones?
  • Options
    branscopbranscop Posts: 1,181
    Got free tickets to Ed sullivan theater show. Those were only available to NYers if I'm not mistaken. Wasn't really a contest thought.
    The good old days of F5
  • Options
    scott nowlandscott nowland Australia Posts: 247
    Worse then that is the sale items that go on sale to us members only. Im willing to pay postage so why not include those outside of the u.s.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=768h3Tz4Qik

• Options
    it's not bias, it's a matter of simple logic. You open up a contest to anyone in the world and you have to deal with every other country's laws.
    So as paid members are we dealing with rules from one country only?
  • Options
    I do believe membership to the club is location specific ie European membership, different costs, different rules. It sucks, I understand that, but it's common sense that certain things have to be limited to the country the club resides.
  • Options
    I do believe membership to the club is location specific ie European membership, different costs, different rules. It sucks, I understand that, but it's common sense that certain things have to be limited to the country the club resides.

Even tickets to Pearl Jam concerts?
  • Options
    Not all shows, and not all tour shows by any means, but if it's some special promotional thing at a particular venue, for a charity or a local fund raising event, that's a whole different ball game.

I don't where all of you are from, but here in the states, lawyers cost $$$ x infinity, and to open everything up to everyone is just too costly.
  • Options
    Lawyers certainly do open up things, at a cost.
    I certainly can say that 10c has not excluded members from exclusive Pearl Jam tickets presales.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited January 2015
    I totally get why they don't include other countries... except canada. There have been other contests that do, and the laws don't make it difficult (aside from quebec), so I wish they'd at least include Canadians.... totally non-biased opinion, obviously. :P
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I'm sure they do what they can. I don't think they sit around thinking "who can we piss off this time".
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    They should just make it: 'Free flight from anywhere in the States. If you reside outside of the US then you must get your ass here to any state on the map on your own and then we'll hook you up with the free flight to the Seattle.' Or something like that.
  • Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    eddiec wrote: »
    They should just make it: 'Free flight from anywhere in the States. If you reside outside of the US then you must get your ass here to any state on the map on your own and then we'll hook you up with the free flight to the Seattle.' Or something like that.

well, the first 1000 $ would be needed to get my ass to the States....
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Would you open up a contest for anything if you had to pay international shipping fees yourself every month? I think not. That shit would get expensive. Membership dues would cost $100 a year if they did.
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    I think it simply has to do with contest laws. In the US as an example Rhode Island has a law where you have to file your contest and pay a $150 filing fee to run it there. No other state does that in the US. Some countries may also have it where the company sponsoring it has to pay the taxes instead of the winner as it is in the US. To do any contest outside of the US you would need to know all the contest laws everywhere else first. For a small contest such as this with $1,000 plus 2 tickets as the prize the cost to do it globally would far exceed any of the funds they are raising for charity. It would kind of defeat the purpose.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    But they do contests that are open to people outside of the US. Just not for some of them. So indon't think it's because of laws that restrict them. I always figured it's just to avoid having to pay for international air fare, since it's so expensive. Or perhaps to avoid any issues that might arise if a winner ends up not having a passport, and not being able to enter through US customs for legal reasons, etc. I think 10C is simply making things easy on themselves by keeping prizes that involve travel within the US.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    ^^^^ maybe they are nicer at 10c than I am giving them credit for. The contest is $1000 for travel expenses and 2 tickets. Whether that $1000 covers the cost of full expenses I don't think it would matter to them. They will pay out the prize to the winner regardless of cost. If someone in Seattle wins they still get the grand even though expenses are next to none. Since straight cash is involved I would think that differentiates this contest to others with it being merch or some other things and why the US only. I'm also sure they want the person who wins the tickets to be able to go but if that really mattered they would end it sooner than 4 days before the show.
    Post edited by Amongst the Ani on
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    But there is still that issue about winners crossing international borders. I actually won a trip to NYC and to see a concert at MSG by default once, because the real winner ended up informing them only 3 days before the flight that he didn't have proper travel documents (so he was a total deadbeat loser). Suddenly the sponsors of the contest had to scramble and get the prize to me, change the name on the airline tickets and the reservations for the hotel, get the concert and plane tix to me in a mad rush, etc. 10C might just be insuring that they don't have deal with that kind of shit?
  • Options
    But they arent doing any of that this time. Its just cash and concert tickets. If they were helping with arrangements that I would totally see it as the reason. Of course you may be right PJ Soul, who the f knows what 10c is thinking sometimes.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    That's true. It is different when it's just cash and the winner makes their own travel plans... could simply be about the short notice. Perhaps avoid getting the cash to the winner in another country fast enough? Perhaps they just don't feel like looking at any tax issues when it comes to winnings. I think maybe customs would need to be involved somehow.
    Yes, 10C operations are a real mystery, eh?
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,803
    It totally blows. Just imagine if there was a Canadian Pearl Jam 10club exclusive contest where it excludes USA residents? That the 10club sent out an email about this exclusive to Canada only contest to every single 10club member in the world? It would totally break this website & cause a shit storm of fans on every single social media page to grab their torches & pitchforks & throw hate to the 10club why they were not included in a Pearl Jam contest. Well, for those USA fan's that is ... >:)
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    demetrios wrote: »
    It totally blows. Just imagine if there was a Canadian Pearl Jam 10club exclusive contest where it excludes USA residents? That the 10club sent out an email about this exclusive to Canada only contest to every single 10club member in the world? It would totally break this website & cause a shit storm of fans on every single social media page to grab their torches & pitchforks & throw hate to the 10club why they were not included in a Pearl Jam contest. Well, for those USA fan's that is ... >:)

Interesting point. The only response I could give would be that my guess is that there are more people from the US in the 10c than anywhere else in the world by a long shot.