Options

PJ Twitter feed is making me feel like PJ is a....

KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,438
Nostalgia band.

Please. Stop. Reminiscing
I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.

Comments

• Options
    KV4053 wrote: »
    Nostalgia band.

Please. Stop. Reminiscing

It's funny that your signature is reminisce.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Hahaha STFU

But you're right
    Post edited by KV4053 on
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Whoever's in charge tweets a lot.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    Isn't a band who has been around for 24 years, close to being indicted in the R&R hall of fame, has 10 studio albums (the first of which is one of the most popular and best selling albums of all time), with a loyal fan base that has by and large been with them from the very beginning, obligated to be nostalgic, even while they keep producing?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ^could not have said that better PJ_Soul
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    PJ_Soul wrote: »
    Isn't a band who has been around for 24 years, close to being indicted in the R&R hall of fame, has 10 studio albums (the first of which is one of the most popular and best selling albums of all time), with a loyal fan base that has by and large been with them from the very beginning, obligated to be nostalgic, even while they keep producing?

True. But then again, after the reissues and the whole PJ20 thing some members of the band went on record saying they had had enough of being nostalgic and didn't want to be seen as being a 'nostalgic band'.

That said I'm pretty certain that none of the band members will be running the Pearl Jam Twitter page.

2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    outside of this community they are a nostalgia band hands down
    Wrigley 2013 Cinci 2014
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote: »

I agree with everything up until you said "obligation." I wish there was more balance between old and new tweet topics
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,838
    I thought one of the last pictures they posted was a nice balance between old and new: mike on ed shoulders in 96 and then on the last tour.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    tominzinga wrote: »
    outside of this community they are a nostalgia band hands down

well, to casual fans of ANY band that has lasted this long, most bands are. I had a conversation with a friend recently who thought the Winnipeg 2005 show was AWFUL. he actually said AWFUL. I asked him why he thought that. He told me because he didn't recognize so many of the songs. I said "yeah, they don't just go around playing the hits for the casual fan, they play some of those, but they also like to play their new stuff and some obscurities for the fanatic, and when a band plays 28-32 songs in a night, it's a pretty good bet you won't recognize a good number of them if you aren't a fan that is familiar with their whole body of work".

I personally wouldn't go to a NIN show and be disappointed if they didn't play all of Downward Spiral. that's nonsense.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    if they are going to reminisce, I really just wish they wouldn't edit out the parts that Ed doesn't like. that reminds me of someone who cuts out the faces of their ex girlfriends in photo albums. it's just weird.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I know they did say they don't want to be a nostalglia band (well, Jeff did, anyway, as an excuse for not doing reissues for all the albums!). But being nostalgic on a Twitter feed is a far cry from being a nostalgia band. :)
    By obligated, I just meant that it is a given that their fans would want and "demand" that they keep in touch with their history as a band. That history is really important to the fans.

Palonious, what kinds of things do you feel shouldn't be edited out at Ed's request??
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Dave A is repeatedly cropped out of photos. Same thing with the MTV Unplugged show, where during one song Ed sings the name of his wife at the time. They bleeped it out on the DVD. I was like "really?". it's part of the performance.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    The deletion of all things Beth-related doesn't bother me, because there is obviously a good reason for it. We just don't know what it is because it's a private and emotional thing. Clearly Eddie is very sensitive to that for whatever reason (or maybe Beth is!), and I respect that.
  • Options
    yeah. that one was a tiny aspect of it. I honestly didn't even notice it until I saw it mentioned by Speedy in a thread a while back. I just personally think if you are going to release something, don't alter it. selective omission bothers me, especially in art. but again, it's their stuff, it's their call.

it's mostly the drummer thing. they are constantly omitting poritions of their history in the drummer department, and it's annoying. not just in print, but also live. And I don't even know if it's because of EV, it's just the perception I get from stuff that has been said. I mean, Angel is a fucking great song. it was a BAND song, released as a PEARL JAM song, even if Dave wrote it. they still play Go, which also was written by Dave if I'm not mistaken. maybe the difference is the lyrics being written by DA on Angel, and by EV on Go. who knows.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    I can understand why it might annoy some people. I personally couldn't care less if Dave A is cropped out of photos. His drums are still on the albums and boots, and that's good enough for me.
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    What choice does the tweeter have? The band goes on looooong hiatuses after touring or recording... So if they want an active twitter page with an engaged following, they can either lie about current and future projects / events that they dont know about, or they can pull from a very large and very pleasant memory bank.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    Gmoney wrote: »
    What choice does the tweeter have? The band goes on looooong hiatuses after touring or recording... So if they want an active twitter page with an engaged following, they can either lie about current and future projects / events that they dont know about, or they can pull from a very large and very pleasant memory bank.

agreed.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    I love Mike's twitter account :)
  • Options
    Gmoney wrote: »

. Doesn't change my feelings, but that's a fair point