Options

Is the 2005 Canadian run the best of all time?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Great tour and it was the first time that I established a Canadian PJ friend base along with my US one.

I was so disappointment when I got to the 2005 part of the PJ Book and the Cnd tour was barely a footnote. I haven't been able to pick up the book since.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Great tour and it was the first time that I established a Canadian PJ friend base along with my US one.

I was so disappointment when I got to the 2005 part of the PJ Book and the Cnd tour was barely a footnote. I haven't been able to pick up the book since.

the 1993 Canadian tour was pretty glossed over as well in both the book and Ed's noteboook in the Ten deluxe box. it particularely annoyed me that Mike was quoted in the book as saying "when you play Saskatoon, you HAVE to play some Guess Who". The Guess Who are from WINNIPEG, Mike, they just wrote a SONG about Saskatoon! Arg.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    it was 96 when he mentioned paul mercs. also kitchener and london were unbelievable that tour with toronto and hamilton good as well.
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,585
    Ottawa Black 2005 still has gotta be in consideration for best version ever.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,099
    I saw the first 2nd and 3rd show's on the '05 tour (Gorge and Vancouver). Both kicked serious ass. I would say it definitely ranks up there with the Yield tour, but I think the Yield tour still edges it out. The yield tour was the first proper tour PJ did in a long time. All that pent up energy from the fans. The band also hit that sweet spot where they had experience and youth, and a serious amount of energy.

The last few tours are epic in their own way, but I don't think they win in the merit of being longer. Some of those classic tours were insanely good :)
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292

the 1993 Canadian tour was pretty glossed over as well in both the book and Ed's noteboook in the Ten deluxe box. it particularely annoyed me that Mike was quoted in the book as saying "when you play Saskatoon, you HAVE to play some Guess Who". The Guess Who are from WINNIPEG, Mike, they just wrote a SONG about Saskatoon! Arg.

Maybe that's exactly what he meant?
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    probably my best/longest run of shows. saw 8 shows and closed the tour in st john's with 2 nights.
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,896
    The Kitchener show is on youtube and is pretty good quality. I watch that quite a bit. Amazing show in what looks like a pretty small venue.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840

The Kitchener show is on youtube and is pretty good quality. I watch that quite a bit. Amazing show in what looks like a pretty small venue.

It was a minor league hockey stadium! That was one of the smallest venues I ve ever seen pj in. The show was off the hook! The band and crowd were on fire and Ed was definitely feeling no pain.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    BinFrog said:

Maybe that's exactly what he meant?

very possible. it was just the way it was said. if he had said "when you are in Saskatoon, you HAVE to play that song". Not "some Guess Who". that intimates that is where they are from.

just being nitpicky, that's all. HAHA. I just want my city recognized, dammit! :lol:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    BlakAdderBlakAdder Posts: 14
    My first Pearl Jam show was on the 2005 tour in Thunder Bay. Probably the one and only time they will ever play there. Waited for 36 hours in line to buy tickets, back when you waited in line for tickets which was an experience in itself. The only time that I have ever played road hockey at 4 o'clock in the morning. It was a great show in a small venue and worth every second I spent in line waiting for tickets to see them live.
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,896
    mcgruff10 said:

It was a minor league hockey stadium! That was one of the smallest venues I ve ever seen pj in. The show was off the hook! The band and crowd were on fire and Ed was definitely feeling no pain.
    That's awesome. Such a great show. I love the 1st encore, when he chugs the wine, messes up Soon Forget, then just cranks into Cant Keep. He was definitely lubed up nicely.
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,504
    BeerBaron said:

The one thing we will never see again is a run like Kitchener, London and Hamilton. All within an hour of each other and two were at small venues. That's what made the 2005 tour special for me.

There were some fairly average shows, like Montreal and Toronto. But that Ottawa show was one of the best I've ever been to.

So many great memories of that tour...

The Kitchener and London shows, especially, were a fun run. Driving back and forth between each city and home after the show was the only downside. I recall walking through the parking lot just as the band arrived at the venue in London. I think 15 or so of us waited after security mentioned Ed would come out to say hello and asked us not to take any pictures. Turned out Ed needed help putting the setlist together and asked us if we had any requests. Missoula had just gotten Black Red Yellow so I figured it was worth a shot...

"This one's for the serious collectors..."
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    100 Pacer said:

BeerBaron said:

The one thing we will never see again is a run like Kitchener, London and Hamilton. All within an hour of each other and two were at small venues. That's what made the 2005 tour special for me.

There were some fairly average shows, like Montreal and Toronto. But that Ottawa show was one of the best I've ever been to.

The Kitchener and London shows, especially, were a fun run. Driving back and forth between each city and home after the show was the only downside. I recall walking through the parking lot just as the band arrived at the venue in London. I think 15 or so of us waited after security mentioned Ed would come out to say hello and asked us not to take any pictures. Turned out Ed needed help putting the setlist together and asked us if we had any requests. Missoula had just gotten Black Red Yellow so I figured it was worth a shot...

WOW. that's awesome.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    100 Pacer said:

BeerBaron said:

awesome story!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,099
    It was a fun run for me too. They didn't announce Gorge until later (it was only Vancouver announced at first). Bought tickets for Vancouver. Then we heard Tom Petty was playing the Gorge. Figured it would be awesome to see Petty at the Gorge, so we bought those tickets for the night after PJ in Vancouver. Then PJ Announced the show at the Gorge before the Vancouver one.

In 3 days we drive from Victoria to the Gorge, back to Vancouver, back to the Gorge, back to Victoria.

I had a lot of fun... I really would put that tour up there with '98.... They were frigging awesome at the Gorge (my favorite show ever), and the show in Vancouver the next night was on fire!

If the best of the 22 PJ shows I've ever seen comes from the '05 tour, you know something was on point :)
  • Options
    That tour is a standout superb memory.
    Wow what a run. Five in a row for me.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    FLAC on Nugs. I want to buy them all!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    GJ125369GJ125369 Canada Posts: 40
    Great memories! London and Hamilton were the 4th and 5th shows I went to. Had great seats at the London show and the setlist was awesome. The Let Stone Sing banter in the second encore resulting in him dancing was hilarious! If I had any complaints from the show it was that they didn’t play Porch as I’d never seen it live and it was my favourite song at the time. Needless to say I was blown away when they opened the Hamilton show with Porch as there was no way I was expecting at that point in the show. I remember Eddie constantly making toasts and being visibly drunk by about halfway through the show. Still hoping they release the bootlegs on CD at some point.
  • Options
    iammine16iammine16 Vancouver, BC Posts: 776
    Vancouver was my 1st time seeing them. I have vivid memories of the whole show. Eddie came out with the Supersuckers wearing a wrestling mask. They opened with Release, Eddie messed up Love boat captain (still a great performance). A great version of Blood, Bee Girl, Footsteps, Down, I believe in miracles in the encore. I still listen to the boot all the time!
    Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,724

FLAC on Nugs. I want to buy them all!

I got them. Still waiting on the Silver CD 2005 Box Set too. :)