Options

Put to the question

FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
I read comments that some fans omit Backspacer.....why?? Is it the length of the songs? The lyrics? The music? Solos? It's been mentioned in another thread that the band now tries to write really simple songs - does this play a factor?

I also read comments about sappy love songs - The End, Sleeping By Myself, and Just Breath. What makes these particular songs any different from Oceans, Release, Long Road, and Black??? The lyrics? How are songs like Gone, Smile, Let Me Sleep, and Footsteps not sappy??

I'm not trying to cause a big wave here just curious why some songs are passed up..... First impression? Live experience? Hype?
Oh please let it rain today.
Those that can be trusted can change their mind.

Comments

• Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    FoxyRedLa wrote: »
    I read comments that some fans omit Backspacer.....why?? Is it the length of the songs? The lyrics? The music? Solos? It's been mentioned in another thread that the band now tries to write really simple songs - does this play a factor?

I also read comments about sappy love songs - The End, Sleeping By Myself, and Just Breath. What makes these particular songs any different from Oceans, Release, Long Road, and Black??? The lyrics? How are songs like Gone, Smile, Let Me Sleep, and Footsteps not sappy??

I'm not trying to cause a big wave here just curious why some songs are passed up..... First impression? Live experience? Hype?

Speaking of bad songs...and causing a big wave,
    I ALWAYS pass on "BIG WAVE"
    Worst song in the catalog in my book!!!!
    =))
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Backspacer is better today than it was in '09, in my opinion. I am not a fan of Just Breathe, The End, Sleeping. Has nothing to do w/ the songs themselves, I'm more of a fan of the rocking tunes.

I believe that when an album is released, it's critiqued on here and someone says they dislike a tune and it snowballs from there. Within a week, some post they dislike a tune just to "join the club".
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Backspacer as a whole lands at the bottom of the list for me. I have it. I hardly ever listen to any portion of it. I listen to the public alternative radio station at work that we help to sponsor and if I want to hear Just Breathe, it plays on there often enough. I don't mind the song. I really don't. That is probably the only one I'm okay with on Backspacer.

For you. Hang on. I'll give it another listen and report back. Just for you, though. ;-) This way I can more accurately tell you just why I'm not a huge fan of Backspacer. (And for the record, I came up with this conclusion on my own. I wasn't on the forum until a little over a year ago.)

Poor Cult. I'll have to toss them aside for a few.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Okay, here is my bit on why I'm not a huge fan. I'm not a yeah, yeah, yeah fan. That knocks two songs out. The flow (from a non-musician's opinion) is a little weird to me. Ed's singing style on some of the songs seem to elongate, round and drag notes out in a HUGE way, which isn't quite my thing, either. It's just more pronounced here. For me, it is like they were humming along, going at a decent rate of speed and tromped on the brake with both feet. (Currently, Speed of Sound is playing which is SO SLOW.)

What makes Oceans different? Um, it's "a little love song I wrote about my surfboard." ;-) For the record, I love Oceans, especially the Redux version that takes the additional crap out of the song. The musical flow was different and Ed wasn't trying to stretch words.

I guess that I feel the same about Black. It's an emotional thing and not forced. It is what it is. A bit overplayed, but great nonetheless.

Release is Release. It's a tear and sway inducing thing. Sorry. Can't give you a better explanation. Long Road is very similar.

I don't pass songs up if they are "sappy." I don't mind them. Footsteps. It's a stripped down thing. Tell me that you haven't belted it out while driving? (Gotta watch that at stop lights.) Hello you sexy song you. :-D

Do I listen to all of these songs on boots when they come up to play? Yup. Live is a different thing for me. But, I will admit that I'm a VERY first impression kind of girl. Backspacer didn't wow me from the first listen and I tend to just divorce songs that don't wow from the first time I play them. (I'm trying to get out of that habit.)

My quarter's worth and all. Now to go make my kiddo some waffles.
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,210
    One of my all time favorite PJ songs is Amongst The Waves. When they record new material i dont think they have in mind what the public might think of the lyrics or music. If people like it,thats just a byproduct. They just simply dont make bad records! Every one is in some form or fashion different than the one before. And it will continue to be so.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,046
    edited January 2015
    I like Backspacer. It's at the bottom for me but mostly just because all the other records are so fucking good! Maybe a little do to the length of it too but I still think it's a good record. Unthought Known, Got Some, Amongst The Waves, Force Of Nature...some great songs. I don't love Speed of Sound and the Fixer but enjoy the rest quite a bit. Live I like pretty much everything BTW.
  • Options
    corduroykellycorduroykelly Posts: 668
    edited January 2015
    I love Backspacer! It's my favorite album since Yield.
    Post edited by corduroykelly on
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,076
    Backspacer was a breath of rockin' fresh air after three overly dark, depressing albums. Good tunes on all of them, for sure, but the overall mood was depressing. Tell me you didn't go "alright!" when you put the CD on for the first time and it kicked right into Gonna See My Friend. I sure did.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,380
    I think it's ok. Not my favorite by a long shot, but there are some good songs. The End is hauntingly beautiful & I really love Force of Nature.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,420
    Abe Froman wrote: »
    I like Backspacer. It's at the bottom for me but mostly just because all the other records are so fucking good! Maybe a little do to the length of it too but I still think it's a good record. Unthought Known, Got Some, Amongst The Waves, Force Of Nature...some great songs. I don't love Speed of Sound and the Fixer but enjoy the rest quite a bit. Live I like pretty much everything BTW.

+1
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    I really love Backspacer, Force of Nature being my favorite, of course! ;)
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,846
    I also thought backspacer was there best since yield. I absolutely love Pearl jam but they lost me on binaural, riot act and self titled. Those three albums imo are their weakest to date, both studio and live.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,401
    I've never understood all the hate for Backspacer. It's a solid record.
  • Options
    derbydave wrote: »

=))

Jesus Dave! :-)) I like the creativity of a crustacean evolving into a human surfer. And I like the hook lol.
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    I love Backspacer, it's its own thing.. True to form, they came out with a record that I needed, right when I needed it.
  • Options

=))

Jesus Dave! :-)) I like the creativity of a crustacean evolving into a human surfer. And I like the hook lol.

Just not a good song for me...
    It's the ONLY PJ song I've deleted from my iTunes library,
    That way I NEVER have to hear it again!!
    :-q
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options
    Backspacer is better today than it was in '09, in my opinion. I am not a fan of Just Breathe, The End, Sleeping. Has nothing to do w/ the songs themselves, I'm more of a fan of the rocking tunes.

I believe that when an album is released, it's critiqued on here and someone says they dislike a tune and it snowballs from there. Within a week, some post they dislike a tune just to "join the club".

Ok well that makes sense to favor the rock tunes. And I agree with the second half too. Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    deadendp wrote: »
    Okay, here is my bit on why I'm not a huge fan. I'm not a yeah, yeah, yeah fan. That knocks two songs out. The flow (from a non-musician's opinion) is a little weird to me. Ed's singing style on some of the songs seem to elongate, round and drag notes out in a HUGE way, which isn't quite my thing, either. It's just more pronounced here. For me, it is like they were humming along, going at a decent rate of speed and tromped on the brake with both feet. (Currently, Speed of Sound is playing which is SO SLOW.)

What makes Oceans different? Um, it's "a little love song I wrote about my surfboard." ;-) For the record, I love Oceans, especially the Redux version that takes the additional crap out of the song. The musical flow was different and Ed wasn't trying to stretch words.

I guess that I feel the same about Black. It's an emotional thing and not forced. It is what it is. A bit overplayed, but great nonetheless.

Release is Release. It's a tear and sway inducing thing. Sorry. Can't give you a better explanation. Long Road is very similar.

I don't pass songs up if they are "sappy." I don't mind them. Footsteps. It's a stripped down thing. Tell me that you haven't belted it out while driving? (Gotta watch that at stop lights.) Hello you sexy song you. :-D

Do I listen to all of these songs on boots when they come up to play? Yup. Live is a different thing for me. But, I will admit that I'm a VERY first impression kind of girl. Backspacer didn't wow me from the first listen and I tend to just divorce songs that don't wow from the first time I play them. (I'm trying to get out of that habit.)

I get what you're putting down about Ed's singing voice - he appears to change it up each album which I do enjoy. Thanks for posting helps me open my mind - I do understand why some may not like Future Days vs Release (just simply picking a fan fav) - I just didn't understand the "sappy love song" comments - just in my opinion Ed's position has never changed he's always been "stripped down" and honest and sappy, even in the songs he doesn't write - Chloe/Crown.

I'm thankful you gave it another listen - just for me!
  • Options

I get what you're putting down about Ed's singing voice - he appears to change it up each album which I do enjoy. Thanks for posting helps me open my mind - I do understand why some may not like Future Days vs Release (just simply picking a fan fav) - I just didn't understand the "sappy love song" comments - just in my opinion Ed's position has never changed he's always been "stripped down" and honest and sappy, even in the songs he doesn't write - Chloe/Crown.

No way in hell...
    will I listen to BIG WAVE again!!!

=))

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,493
    The less favorite lp from me..i hate the Fixer and i love Force of nature and Speed of sound..the rest are just ok..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options

No way in hell...

=))

Lmao! I was trying to make you a Big Wave Dave nickname lol lol lol but everything I tried just sounded dirty :-))
  • Options

No way in hell...

=))

Lmao! I was trying to make you a Big Wave Dave nickname lol lol lol but everything I tried just sounded dirty :-))

If the SHOE fits....
    =))

• Options
    edited January 2015
    joseph33 wrote: »
    One of my all time favorite PJ songs is Amongst The Waves. When they record new material i dont think they have in mind what the public might think of the lyrics or music. If people like it,thats just a byproduct. They just simply dont make bad records! Every one is in some form or fashion different than the one before. And it will continue to be so.

100% agree! I read in a magazine someone else talked about how PJ didn't even care if their guitars were in tune - just meaning how awesome they are!
    Post edited by FoxyRedLa on
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Abe Froman wrote: »
    I like Backspacer. It's at the bottom for me but mostly just because all the other records are so fucking good!
    Pretty much this! I don't mind Backspacer, but when put against the other studio albums, it just doesn't measure up. I think staying power has a lot to do with it, too. I still find myself wanting to listen to Lightning Bolt and most other albums cover to cover, but haven't sat down and listening to Backspacer front to back in a very long time.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    I find listening to Backspacer a little like sitting there while someone bangs pots for my listening enjoyment. I just find it kind of harsh sounding and annoying. :-?? Some of that has to do with the mastering on the record, but some is certainly about the song compositions too. And the ballads are.indeed cheesy, and nothing like earlier PJ ballads. But i am honestly always pleased to know someone else does like it. I love Pearl Jam, so I don't want them to have an album that is universally disliked. That would be depressing.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote: »
    I love Pearl Jam, so I don't want them to have an album that is universally disliked. That would be depressing.

The absolute dislike of BS spread on this forum by fans seems to advocate BS as "the worst album and if you don't agree then you are not a fan".

Let's face it. There is a relatively small amount of people that actually post in this forum but the general consensus from these people are that BS is to be discarded as an album.

I like BS. I have it on vinyl too. There are some songs I play more than others. As for the mastering of the recording I don't give a fuck.

It's like wine, you like it or you don't.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    I'm ok with it too, just don't love it as much as the other ones. I used to love the ballads the most in the beginning, but that was when I juuuust came back to PJ and had to catch up on a lot of songs that I had missed in my fan "hiatus". They do have a slightly sappier feel to them, and I could not listen to them every day now. Maybe I overdid it when the album came out lol I can never get enough of the older "ballads" though.
    I love when they experiment with the melodies, when the voice is wandering on a different path than the music, like in Footsteps or Sleight of Hand. This to me is PJ perfection and it is something that I kind of missed on BS. A lot of the newer sounds sound too streamlined to me, if that makes any sense. Music and singing all in the same "path".

And oh my! I'm so on board with derbydave on Big Wave!
  • Options
    It does that yeah, yeah, yeah thing. I'm with the two of you, though I won't quite go as far as Dave did and actually ditch it from iTunes altogether. Although, I do have to say that I'm probably one of the few on here that actually likes the self-titled.

• Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    I love the self-titled too! Just not this one song. I don't even know why, I just don't like it. and I actually love the Yeah Yeah Yeah in The fixer :smiley: (and that even though I know the Fixer story!!!)
  • Options
    It does that yeah, yeah, yeah thing. I'm with the two of you, though I won't quite go as far as Dave did and actually ditch it from iTunes altogether. Although, I do have to say that I'm probably one of the few on here that actually likes the self-titled.

4321498288_224937874_what_the_hell_is_this_crap_answer_2_xlarge_xlarge_zpsyqd7fgsv.jpeg

Add me to the few that actually likes the self-titled!