Any good alternatives to the Pono?

Comments

• BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, Arizona Posts: 466
    BTW I ended up buying a pair of these Marshall headphones at Amazon for $129 (they were $200 at Best Buy). They sounded amazing in the store and they get really good reviews! http://www.amazon.com/Marshall-04090800-Monitor-Over-The-Ear-Headphones/dp/B00D3ITOHG
  • TheseGoToElevenTheseGoToEleven Charlotte, NC Posts: 106
    Assuming you're working with the best digital files you can go with (lossless/FLAC or at least 320kbps mp3s), good headphones are the first and best step IMO followed by a decent portable DAC, if you're not wanting to buy a new player.

If you primarily use a laptop or computer for playback, you have a lot to choose from. If you have an iPhone setup like I do, grab a Lightning-to-USB adapter (~$30) and specifically look for a DAC with a power draw of 100mA or less (MicroSteamer is the one I have at about $170). Only drawback is a couple less hours of battery life, but well worth it.
    [i]Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?[/i]
    Assuming you're working with the best digital files you can go with (lossless/FLAC or at least 320kbps mp3s), good headphones are the first and best step IMO followed by a decent portable DAC, if you're not wanting to buy a new player.

If you primarily use a laptop or computer for playback, you have a lot to choose from. If you have an iPhone setup like I do, grab a Lightning-to-USB adapter (~$30) and specifically look for a DAC with a power draw of 100mA or less (MicroSteamer is the one I have at about $170). Only drawback is a couple less hours of battery life, but well worth it.

Thanks! I didn't know what I was missing. I mean, I knew the iphone ear buds sounded like crap, but these headphones made my jaw drop. I've started buying the FLAC bootlegs, and they sound great. I've also ripped a bunch of vinyl records at 192/24, but I can't play them right now, except through my computer.
  • TheseGoToElevenTheseGoToEleven Charlotte, NC Posts: 106
    BHealy wrote: »

Thanks! I didn't know what I was missing. I mean, I knew the iphone ear buds sounded like crap, but these headphones made my jaw drop. I've started buying the FLAC bootlegs, and they sound great. I've also ripped a bunch of vinyl records at 192/24, but I can't play them right now, except through my computer.
    Indeed, decent phones make all the difference in the world! I didn't spend a ton as I'm value-conscious, but saving up $100-200 can make a huge difference to the ears. I use Klipsch image s4 buds and Audio Technica ATH-M50 cans, both very very solid for the money.
    [i]Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?[/i]
  • RVM1978RVM1978 Leesburg, FL Posts: 320
    I feel like I need to speak up since no one here has an actual Pono Player. I pledged for Kickstarter back in March for the My Morning Jacket LE. I received my player with 2 albums. "Circuital" in 96k/24bit and "Okonokos" in 48k/24bit. I use Audio Technica ATH-M50x (usually go for between $129.00 and $169.00 on Amazon) headphones with no external amp. I never owned a high res capable player before so I can't do an apples to apples comparison, but the Pono Player has been a blessing and a curse of sorts. The blessing is that my music collection has never sounded better. I've been buying music on vinyl and CD since I was 13 years old in 1991. I've amassed quite a collection since it is my lifelong hobby. Over 99% of what I have on the Pono Player is in 44.1k/16bit WAV resolution (1411kbps). This little player puts out some serious power.
    The part where this is a curse sucks. I'm spoiled now. I never really liked streaming Mp3's. I only used it as a means to discover new artists. But for years before streaming, I was content in just buying an album by researching it through reviews or word of mouth. In that respect it made me go back to my old ways of purchasing music. Which is fine because it feels more organic and personal as opposed to something disposable. So basically I can't listen to Mp3's anymore, because all I hear is what I'm missing from the "full" or "high res" version.
    Since this is Pearl Jam's forum, I have purchased "Ten", "Vs.", "Vitalogy", and "Lightning Bolt" in high res. Over the course of my life, I've listened to "Ten" more times than I can count. With the Pono Player in 44.1k/24bit resolution, I could hear subtleties I've never heard before. Mostly in the drums, Eddie's vocal, and Jeff's bass. It's a new album for a new time in my life. Same goes for Vs. and Vitalogy. Although, those are in 96k/24bit. Lightning Bolt is 44.1/24. The bass on "My Father's Son" sounds amazing from that record.
    The only mode I haven't tried on the player unfortunately is the balanced mode. Which by what people say in the Pono forum is what makes this thing really deliver on that promise. But in order to hear it, you need a high quality amp/receiver with the proper cables, or a set of very high cost balanced headphones. All of those are things I will be saving up for in the near future, because this player just sounds better and better as it gets burned in. I highly recommend it if you are looking to purchase a high res player.
    08/12/2000 - Tampa, FL; 04/09/2003 - Birmingham, AL; 04/11/2003 - West Palm Beach, FL
    04/13/2003 - Tampa, FL; 10/08/2004 - Kissimmee, FL; 05/16 & 17/2006 - Chicago, IL;
    05/19/2006 - Grand Rapids, MI; 05/22/2006 - Auburn Hills, MI; 08/05/2007 - Chicago, IL;
    05/03/2010 - Kansas City, MO; 07/19/2013 - Chicago, IL; 04/13/16 - Jacksonville, FL;
    Also, the Pono Player really shines on a home stereo. It will blast the iPhone or iPod out of the water on a conventional amp-2 speaker stereo setup.
    08/12/2000 - Tampa, FL; 04/09/2003 - Birmingham, AL; 04/11/2003 - West Palm Beach, FL
    04/13/2003 - Tampa, FL; 10/08/2004 - Kissimmee, FL; 05/16 & 17/2006 - Chicago, IL;
    05/19/2006 - Grand Rapids, MI; 05/22/2006 - Auburn Hills, MI; 08/05/2007 - Chicago, IL;
    05/03/2010 - Kansas City, MO; 07/19/2013 - Chicago, IL; 04/13/16 - Jacksonville, FL;
    Thanks! Great review and info!
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    I did my own Pepsi challenge just last week on whether I could hear resolution difference. I tried it with my wife too, but that was totally pointless. Anyway, I used U2 the Joshua Tree of which I took a 24/192 vinyl rip (my own) and then downsampled it to two more sizes: 24/96 and 16/44.
    I streamed it to my PIoneer Elite SC-81 and listened through my Def Tech 8060 super towers. My DLNA streaming is done either through Squeezebox touch or JRiver Media. I hate Itunes.

I 'think' I heard some difference at each resolution, but I can't be 100% sure. One thing that was absolutely certain was the enormous amount of space 24/192 would eat up on small handheld player. The size difference is really astounding even from 96 to 192.

I have a ton of music that is 24 bit and I can assure you I'm not in the process of downsampling it now since hard drive space is pretty cheap. But my conclusion is that for my 64 gb itouch, I'm keeping it at 16/44 lossless and not putting 24 bit music on there. I'd rather have 8x the music rather than the small gain in quality. However, there are no Mp3's polluting the device.
    edited February 2015
    RVM - you're absolutely right on the speakers and receiver, but don't fall into the BS about cables and wire. If you get 14 gauge oxygen free copper wire and some solid cables from monoprice, you will save yourself hundreds of dollars and there won't be a bit of difference. Cables are the biggest scam in the world. my opinion...

Post edited by mrussel1 on
    edited February 2015
    Error...
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Being content is a good alternative.
    The only cables I have currently are a $6.00 3.5mm stereo cable for my car stereo, a 3.5mm Y-Cable for home stereo at $6.00, and the cables that came with my headphones. They all sound just great.
    For when I get the balanced mode, I'll do my homework, and shop smart. Either that or a buddy of mine is a sound guy, and we might make some of our own.
    Also, in case you were unaware, the Pono plays ALL major digital formats. ALAC, FLAC, WAV, M4A, WMA, AAC (Unprotected), MP3, AIFF, and now with a new firmware update, DSD files. So you're not locked into one or two formats like iTunes. They're taking good measured steps to appeal to as many passionate audio fans as possible.
    The space issue is a big one when all you have is a 16gb iphone!!! LOL! I got a FLAC player installed on my phone for 10 bucks, and then I realized I can't even load one HD-FLAC bootleg on my phone unless I delete most of my apps and photos. That being said, the detail of the HD-FLAC files seems noticeable to me when I play the files on my computer. This is great discussion guys, its really helped me.
    Finally pulled the trigger on this one! http://store.sony.com/64-gb-hi-res-walkman-digital-music-player-zid27-NWZA17SLV/cat-27-catid-All-MP3-Players

Sony NWZA17. I'll let you know how it sounds. Psyched.
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    BHealy said:

Finally pulled the trigger on this one! http://store.sony.com/64-gb-hi-res-walkman-digital-music-player-zid27-NWZA17SLV/cat-27-catid-All-MP3-Players

Sony NWZA17. I'll let you know how it sounds. Psyched.

Please, let us know what you think!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Looking forward to hearing your review of the Sony Digital Walkman!!!!
    :plus_one:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

It should be here Monday!
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    BHealy said:

It should be here Monday!

Thanks I'm looking forward to hearing about it. I love my older Sony mp3 player but it recently died (I had it for 5 years with frequent use) and this is what I'm thinking of getting.
    It will definitely be a "non-technical" review, but I'll definitely share my thoughts. I'm pretty excited about it- I'll finally be able to play those FLAC bootlegs without converting them!! :)
    BHealy said:

It will definitely be a "non-technical" review, but I'll definitely share my thoughts. I'm pretty excited about it- I'll finally be able to play those FLAC bootlegs without converting them!! :)

Even better for me...
    Techy reviews can be boring & I can check out the specs myself!!
    I'm more interested in hearing about how it sounds, if you have any storage issues and how easy it is to load your files on the device!!
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts :plus_one:
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2

• ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I still don't see an iphone as it's main competitor. It's a niche product targeted at the audiophile market. Compare it to other high end players. Fiio's X3/X5, The new Sony players, Cowon etc...

All these format's can do Flac (and Flac HD). Use the same files on each and then test. The only drawback being that different headphones/iem's sound better with different players. When my Cowon s9 broker I bought a fiio x3. The headphones I were using sounded decent on the cowon but not to so good on the fiio. I went through my pile of IEM's I didn't like, and it turned out my Monster Turbine's sound pretty good on the fiio (But they sounded way to bassy on the s9).
    Zod said:

I still don't see an iphone as it's main competitor. It's a niche product targeted at the audiophile market. Compare it to other high end players. Fiio's X3/X5, The new Sony players, Cowon etc...

All these format's can do Flac (and Flac HD). Use the same files on each and then test. The only drawback being that different headphones/iem's sound better with different players. When my Cowon s9 broker I bought a fiio x3. The headphones I were using sounded decent on the cowon but not to so good on the fiio. I went through my pile of IEM's I didn't like, and it turned out my Monster Turbine's sound pretty good on the fiio (But they sounded way to bassy on the s9).

I agree- it is definitely for a niche market.
    Alright- I received Sony NWZ-A17 in the mail on Monday and haven't had a ton of time to use it, but here are my first impressions.

I was surprised how small it was, and as some reviewers mentioned, it doesn't seem like it would be that durable, but I'm not too worried about it. I just put it in my shirt pocket, and I store it in an old glasses case.

The operations seem pretty simple and straight-forward, although I haven't spent too much time with it yet. It does have an option to customize the EQ, or use a couple of presets, which is pretty cool (I don't think Pono has this).

It comes with its one version of software, similar to iTunes. It seemed to automatically locate most of my music, but I figured out how "point it" to some music I store on an external harddrive as well. Most meta data transferred, but it interpreted some songs inaccurately-it references "GraceNote" database for music. I've spent a ton of time fixing the metadata on some vinyl rips and older PJ bootlegs, which has been super tedious. It seems like most studio albums came through just fine. I can't figure out how to edit an entire album at once, but maybe there is a way? Its song-by-song...ugh.

The first 2 albums I put on it were a hi-res rip of Yield and HD-FLAC for the Denver show from this past fall. They sound GREAT! On "No Way" I noticed Stone singing backing vocals in a couple of parts that I hadn't noticed before, for example. The Denver boot sounded awesome too, but here is the super annoying part, that I'm still trying to figure out: Release played (gave me chills), and then the next song that played was Leash, which actually wasn't played until the end of the show. I checked the metadata, and although most of it seemed filled out, and was transferred when the music was uploaded, the disk number and total number of songs (e.g., 2 of ____) was not there. I filled in the rest, and I'm trying to re-upload the album again.

I'm going to do some comparisons between mp3s and vinyl rips (at hi-res) and other hi-def files I have, but so far I love the sound of it- sorry this is non-technical. :)

Morale of the story:
    -Annoying/cumbersome software for handling our bootleg collections
    -Awesome sound!!
    -Easy use
    -Battery life is supposed to be 20-30 hours, but I haven't had it long enough to comment.
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    Awesome! Thank you! Keep us posted.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    Good to hear your first impression, THANKS for sharing :plus_one:
    Bummer about losing all the metadata info...
    THAT would piss me off too!!!
    Looking forward to hearing what you think once you figure out the BUGS!!!

• darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    BHealy said:

Alright- I received Sony NWZ-A17 in the mail on Monday and haven't had a ton of time to use it, but here are my first impressions.

I was surprised how small it was, and as some reviewers mentioned, it doesn't seem like it would be that durable, but I'm not too worried about it. I just put it in my shirt pocket, and I store it in an old glasses case.

The operations seem pretty simple and straight-forward, although I haven't spent too much time with it yet. It does have an option to customize the EQ, or use a couple of presets, which is pretty cool (I don't think Pono has this).

It comes with its one version of software, similar to iTunes. It seemed to automatically locate most of my music, but I figured out how "point it" to some music I store on an external harddrive as well. Most meta data transferred, but it interpreted some songs inaccurately-it references "GraceNote" database for music. I've spent a ton of time fixing the metadata on some vinyl rips and older PJ bootlegs, which has been super tedious. It seems like most studio albums came through just fine. I can't figure out how to edit an entire album at once, but maybe there is a way? Its song-by-song...ugh.

The first 2 albums I put on it were a hi-res rip of Yield and HD-FLAC for the Denver show from this past fall. They sound GREAT! On "No Way" I noticed Stone singing backing vocals in a couple of parts that I hadn't noticed before, for example. The Denver boot sounded awesome too, but here is the super annoying part, that I'm still trying to figure out: Release played (gave me chills), and then the next song that played was Leash, which actually wasn't played until the end of the show. I checked the metadata, and although most of it seemed filled out, and was transferred when the music was uploaded, the disk number and total number of songs (e.g., 2 of ____) was not there. I filled in the rest, and I'm trying to re-upload the album again.

I'm going to do some comparisons between mp3s and vinyl rips (at hi-res) and other hi-def files I have, but so far I love the sound of it- sorry this is non-technical. :)

Morale of the story:
    -Awesome sound!!
    -Easy use
    -Battery life is supposed to be 20-30 hours, but I haven't had it long enough to comment.

I haven't even tried the Sony software to manage my collection, I've just been using Windows File Explorer to transfer files to it. You are right that it can be very tedious and cumbersome doing it on your own.

One thing I found out that may help you is that the player won't sort by disc number, regardless of whether that field is filled out or not. It just sorts by track number within folders. So, if two files have the same track number but different disc numbers, it will play them alphabetically one after the other. I've had to go in and renumber them sequentially so that they play in order. A real pain in the ass.

Getting cover art to display can be tricky sometimes, too. Sony even released a firmware update on its website that says it fixes some problems with the display of cover art.

Other than that, I love how the player sounds, its battery life, how easy it is to navigate, how small it is, and its expandability through microSD cards.
  • AndoAndo Denver Posts: 410
    I just skimmed this quick and didnt see anyone talking about Tidal. Its definitely expensive at $25 a month but i was very impressed at the "lossless" quality. It kills your data plan so its really only usable at home or over wifi. I use Sol Republic headphones and a 5.1 vizio surround sound and its noticeably better than anything else ive used. You get a free 30 day trial so i would at least check it out.

BHealy said:

Morale of the story:
    -Awesome sound!!
    -Easy use

I haven't even tried the Sony software to manage my collection, I've just been using Windows File Explorer to transfer files to it. You are right that it can be very tedious and cumbersome doing it on your own.

One thing I found out that may help you is that the player won't sort by disc number, regardless of whether that field is filled out or not. It just sorts by track number within folders. So, if two files have the same track number but different disc numbers, it will play them alphabetically one after the other. I've had to go in and renumber them sequentially so that they play in order. A real pain in the ass.

Getting cover art to display can be tricky sometimes, too. Sony even released a firmware update on its website that says it fixes some problems with the display of cover art.

Other than that, I love how the player sounds, its battery life, how easy it is to navigate, how small it is, and its expandability through microSD cards.
    Great tip!! Thank you!! That would fix it. I noticed today (after I tried numbering the disk number o n every song) that it does indeed play each song number 1, then number two, etc.... I don't mind going in and renumbering them all if that's the fix! Its better than not knowing what the fix is and trying and failing over and over.
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    BHealy said:

Great tip!! Thank you!! That would fix it. I noticed today (after I tried numbering the disk number o n every song) that it does indeed play each song number 1, then number two, etc.... I don't mind going in and renumbering them all if that's the fix! Its better than not knowing what the fix is and trying and failing over and over.

You're welcome! It was a real trial and error process for me. I even tried putting each disc in its own folder, but if all the tracks still had the same album name, it still played them by track number. So, it was a choice of keeping all the tracks in one folder and renumbering them 1 through the end or putting them in separate folders but changing the album names to "Album Disc 1" and "Album Disc 2", etc. I thought that it was better to treat the tracks as one big album in the same folder.