Options

Crafty folks, PJ sticker ideas?

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
Want to make a paper weight out of the 14' STL sticker using a magnifying glass bead but I can't bloody find any that fit the size of the sticker. Seems the beads are for tiny things. Any tips crafty people?
www.cluthelee.com

Comments

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Want to make a paper weight out of the 14' STL sticker using a magnifying glass bead but I can't bloody find any that fit the size of the sticker. Seems the beads are for tiny things. Any tips crafty people?
    Check with the local university. If they have a glassblowing department, they could make a "cookie" (the foot at the bottom of handcrafted glass bowls and vases) the right size for you. You'd have to make certain to tell them that you don't want it to have cold lines from the marver table. (You can sometimes see where the foot can sometimes look like a rippled puddle because the marver table is a heat sink and chills the glass super fast.) I know that this isn't exactly what you were wanting, but if you can't find what you need, you might be able to get it made by a university kid for a reasonable price.

If you really wanted to go the extra mile, you could have them make a mold for you (out of plaster) and to billet fill it. That should resolve the issue of cold rings, as well as being the exact size/shape you need.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,327
    Look into casting resin.
  • Options
    Thanks all - I work in higher ed. Should probably ask the art department.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Thanks all - I work in higher ed. Should probably ask the art department.
    They'll get you pointed in the right direction. Let us see what it looks like after it is finished!
  • Options
    If I try this on my own, what do I cast the resin in?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    If I try this on my own, what do I cast the resin in?
    Find a container that you would be willing to part with (possibly a cheap, straight sided vase from the craft store) and either break it to get the resin "mold" out or try to see if non-stick products (like Pam) would work. Make sure that the resin is completely set first.
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,327
    edited January 2015
    I would contact this place and see if they would do it for you.
    http://www.resinobsession.com/Round-Molds.html

There is a learning curve. Although it's not difficult to measure and stir equal amounts of a 2 part resin, your sticker would have to be sealed. That's not too difficult either...you could probably laminate it. Air bubbles are a pain..you would have to apply resin to the sticker right before putting it into the resin mold and everything has to be done at the correct time so your sticker doesn't sink.

In other words...it's somewhat complicated.
    Post edited by covered in bliss on
  • Options
    Maybe I should just stick the fucking thing on my Les Paul. Haha!! Thanks all!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    ^^ That would be the quickest and easiest option! :)