Options

Regal and other theatres pull "The Interview"

Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
edited July 2015 in A Moving Train
Regal theatres and many others are refusing to play Sony's movie The Interview due to threats from hackers. I'm not sure this is a good idea. So now all someone has to do is threaten us with a 9/11 type attack if they release a movie that makes fun of a ruthless dictator? Unbelievable.
Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Don't you think it is pretty ballsy to make a film about taking out a ruthless dictator? And don't you think he'd know about it? Really dumb on Sony's part to even think of making a film without thinking of the possible ramifications. Then again, Hollywood was never all that smart.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    So do we have to worry about the North Koreans now too?
  • Options
    Don't you think it is pretty ballsy to make a film about taking out a ruthless dictator? And don't you think he'd know about it? Really dumb on Sony's part to even think of making a film without thinking of the possible ramifications. Then again, Hollywood was never all that smart.

It's not like this is the first movie to make fun of a foreign leader. I think this is absurd.
  • Options
    But it doesn't "make fun" of Kim Jong-un, it's quite obviously about killing him. Huge difference there. And you don't mess with N. Korea, silly Hollywood idiots.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    what is the "interview" about....?..never mind I just read BSL's post.

Godfather.
  • Options
    And they already hacked Sony along with some of the actors who work for Sony. I love what Brad Pitt has to say about the media making things even worse.

http://mashable.com/2014/12/16/brad-pitt-sony-hack/

• Options

Didn't Naked Gun do this a while back? I don't recall any backlash from it.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    But it's a movie. It's not real. It's make-believe. Lights and smoke and mirrors and images and green screens and shit.

People do realize that Sandra Bullock didn't actually save the kid from Blind Side, right?

Tom Hanks wasn't personally involved in the Private Ryan fiasco.

And on.

These are ACTORS.
  • Options
    And this is Kim Jong-un! Really, should Hollywood really think that he has a sense of humor?
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    let's be serious for a second.

our cia doesn't ACTUALLY arrange to have foreign leaders taken out, does not prop up the ones we like, and never wages any coups, now does it??

oh yeah....
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    It's a movie. It's not real. To cave to a country that has no relevance in the civilized world is insane.
  • Options
    let's be serious for a second.

our cia doesn't ACTUALLY arrange to have foreign leaders taken out, does not prop up the ones we like, and never wages any coups, now does it??

oh yeah....
    But the difference between reality and fantasy must be acknowledged...

...or not?
  • Options
    To provoke a dictator of another country by suggesting assassination, in a society already riddled with world-wide terrorism, through a bad comedy movie obviously is the WRONG move.

This isn't about kidding around, stupid movie antics. Sony movies are messing with a real life dictator and you'd think they'd know that before filming. We don't live in a safe world anymore, we all know that. This just makes America look even more stupid than we already are. They could have been careful… But then, the scene they chose to use for publicity purposes? It was the scene with the woman suggesting to Seth Rogan and the other guy that they "take the leader of N. Korea out". And they respond? "What, we take him out… to dinner?" And so on. Just so stupid on their part.

We live a bubble here in this 1st world country. When we mess with other countries' leaders, even though it's supposed to be in jest, doesn't mean that they take it in jest.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    But isn't that on them, on the sourpusses? On the ones who don't get that it's A MOVIE.

Sure I get decorum and tact, but generally I don't hold back if someone's soft feelings may get unnecessarily hurt.

And being more careful - does that apply to the PR side of things, or making the film itself?

I'm actually not a fan of either actor and doubt I'll ever see the film. But their right to make it - fuckin a, totally behind it.

I wonder if this is indicative of how much power people place on and in this fucking industry, the people who run it, and those who pretend for a living (and are idolized for it).
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    To provoke a dictator of another country by suggesting assassination, in a society already riddled with world-wide terrorism, through a bad comedy movie obviously is the WRONG move.

This isn't about kidding around, stupid movie antics. Sony movies are messing with a real life dictator and you'd think they'd know that before filming. We don't live in a safe world anymore, we all know that. This just makes America look even more stupid than we already are. They could have been careful… But then, the scene they chose to use for publicity purposes? It was the scene with the woman suggesting to Seth Rogan and the other guy that they "take the leader of N. Korea out". And they respond? "What, we take him out… to dinner?" And so on. Just so stupid on their part.

We live a bubble here in this 1st world country. When we mess with other countries' leaders, even though it's supposed to be in jest, doesn't mean that they take it in jest.

I completely disagree with your opinion. We don't live in a bubble. It's a movie. If north Korea is going to threaten the United states with an 9/11 like attack over a movie, it may very well be time to turn fiction into reality.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,735
    It's a fucking movie. So ridiculous.
  • Options
    Yes we do live in a bubble.

Tell me. How many and which countries have you been to?
  • Options
    I don't see how me being in 2 countries other than the US has any relevance to this topic. I'm close.minded because I've never experienced life in North Korea or Pakistan? I've never known what it was like to b censored by my government so ridiculing a dictator is off limits?
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited December 2014
    You guys blow my mind. We live in a turbulent society with dick moves by terrorists constantly. Or do you not pay attention? This movie was a stupid attempt at humor, at our expense, because Hollywood doesn't seem to take world-wide issues seriously. Taking aim at a ruthless dictator in a slapstick, spoiled and dumb American sort of way was, obviously a naive move. Sony not only got hacked, but their actors accounts have as well. They could have avoided this.

Perhaps they should stick with sports stories, SEQUELS (they're excellent at that), romantic comedies, and weed-induced dumb comedies.
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options
    But who is to say what anyone should stick to? What about the new Eastwood film about the sniper? What about Homeland? Many others could be cited, but those are the first two that come to mind.

I put the burden of stupidity on the reaction of NK.

(for the record, I've been to many countries though like Last-12, I'm not sure how that ties into thoughts and opinions on this).
  • Options
    I don't know, would you make a movie about "taking out" Putin? How do you think he'd take it?
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited December 2014
    We live in a bubble if we think we can imply murdering a world figure - a dangerous world figure - and actually getting away with it with no implications.
  • Options
    How many movies in the last 10 years revolved around terrorism or terrorists? Zero dark Thirty, Argo, The Hurt Locker, End Game, White house Down....just off the top of my head. Not to mention television shows like 24, sleeper cell, homeland.

It is silly to think that the US can't make movies or tv shows based on terrorists without having to fear retaliation. I doubt north Korea does a damn thing when this movie is eventually released. It would be a bad move for them.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Remember the death threats over South Park talking about Muhammad?Same stupid overreaction.......Or is it a perfectly orchestrated PR move to totally generate Buzz for the flick.Im gunna say the latter.Well done Sony.You probably increased box office sales opening weekend by 10-20 million.
  • Options
    I don't know, would you make a movie about "taking out" Putin? How do you think he'd take it?

I would if I had a good idea, and might not give more than a shit about that bad boy's feelings :smile:
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,735
    hedonist wrote: »

Yep.

I still can't believe that a movie (yes, a fucking movie) has led to all of this. Whether you agree with the subject of the movie is irrelevant. They are being censored based on the reactions of an insane dictator.
  • Options
    I agree rr, that scene they used primarily for publicity purposes was purposely orchestrated for a reason. But it backfired didn't it. 6 or 7 big movie chains are refusing to play the movie now on its release date.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2016
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    rr165892 wrote: »
    Remember the death threats over South Park talking about Muhammad?Same stupid overreaction.......Or is it a perfectly orchestrated PR move to totally generate Buzz for the flick.Im gunna say the latter.Well done Sony.You probably increased box office sales opening weekend by 10-20 million.
    rr, I was just thinking about those guys.

• Options
    hedonist wrote: »

Yep.

I still can't believe that a movie (yes, a fucking movie) has led to all of this. Whether you agree with the subject of the movie is irrelevant. They are being censored based on the reactions of an insane dictator.

Key word being INSANE. What were they thinking?