Options

Congress protects over 1 mil. acres/245,000 acres of wilderness

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,680
Always a pleasure to report this kind of news!

"Victory! Congress protects over 1 million acres of public land

Congress has heeded the call of people across the country and acted to protect some of our most precious wild places for future generations.

A host of bipartisan wilderness and public lands bills added to the National Defense Authorization Act were passed by the Senate on Dec. 12 and are on their way to the president’s desk to be signed into law.

As a result, irreplaceable lands in Colorado, New Mexico, Washington, Nevada and many other states across the country will be protected for future generations—with a big assist from voices like yours.

All told, more than 1 million acres of public land are set to gain new protection, including 245,000 acres of wilderness."

More here:

http://wilderness.org/victory-congress-protects-over-1-million-acres-public-land

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    wow that's awesome! I wonder what type of land this will fall under. good stuff nonetheless.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    I would say that's a hell of a start. Hope they don't stop there.
  • Options
    It really is a great start. Now if we can just take this to the logical step forward in creating wilderness corridors- widely connected areas of wilderness areas. These corridors allow for improved species migration, wider exchange of individuals reproducing within species (i.e., less inbreeding), reduced anthropogenic and random events threats (fire, etc.) to biodiversity- all things which would help stabilize other animal and plant life cycles and ultimately human life as well. Sounds good, eh?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    That does sound good. They should put you in charge of it. Now that would make a fantastic second book!
  • Options
    That does sound good. They should put you in charge of it. Now that would make a fantastic second book!

That would probably be a bad move, LOL!, but thank you!

I actually am working on the second draft of my next book but it's about my life in music and some of the the social and cultural issues taking place during the decades from the 50's though 2010's. Which or course does include some environmental topics but not enough to get me endorsed by The Wilderness Society, haha!