Options

BIlly Corgan talks shit on PJ on Howard Stern show..

Comments

• Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,647
    Didn't get to hear this interview today (nor the FF's last week... really need to listen to a recording of that one), but no doubt Corgan came off like he always does lately...

Let me start by saying: Big fan of Howard's interview style, despite the sometimes inane questions he asks people, but anyway...

People change... apparently except Billy Corgan. PJ, Soundgarden, Dave Grohl, they've all changed and grown since the 90's... I don't see that with Billy lately. He liked to think of himself as bitter and alone back then, and he comes off the same way now whenever he's interviewed. Before it was charming as he was a young rocker, inexperienced, with a bleek outlook on life - now it's dishartening as the limelight has passed him by and he's bitter about it, and the fact that he had to share it with others.

You can be gaurenteed if Cobain was alive today, Billy would have been hating on him, not praising him. He seems jealous of anyone who's sustained success while he could not find the means to do so. that's the bottom line.

So at this point he's really going to say anything that would garner people's attention - and Howard picks and pokes you in a interview to get you into saying those things that generate national media attention. Howard's ego loves it when he entices a celebrity to reveal something on his show that has never been dug out before - it's his way of saying "hey - I'm as good as any interviewer on the planet".

Anyway... I think Ed comes up in a lot of interviews because Howard generally likes that genre of rock and would like to have him come in. it's that simple, when you're interviewing a lot of people who are frequently around someone you'd like to meet, don't you think that person would come up in conversation fairly regularly...

and I typed an essay again where i meant to type a paragraph... whooops... back to work.... hopefully I'll catch this interview later the week instead of sharon osbourne again.... pppppppppppffffffffffffffttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt ~X(
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,141
    I love Mellon collie but that was the pumpkins' height of fame. He's an angry man now and all of his former band has left. No d'arcy, no jimmy chamberlin, no James iho.... What does that tell you about him- he's like axl rose, nobody likes him.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    who is Billy Corgan? lol
  • Options
    my2hands said:

who is Billy Corgan? lol

+1 HaHa!
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Here's ny thing with Corgan. The dude made a few great cds in the 90s and is no doubt a musical genius. But he took a page right out of Axel roses playbook and fired his whole band (or they quit cuz they hated him.) He's tried to form SP under a new band and to be honest, it is fucking horrible. Even his songs from the 90's, when they're good they're good. But the bad song are aweful. Purely unlistenable.

Fuck corgan. He's a douche bag.
  • Options
    If anyone wants to check out his show, he's playing tomorrow night in a 2500 seat arena in California. Tickets still available (ahem).
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    Billy Corgan is a douchebag. I don't know if he always was, but he sure is now. Dude, stop being such a bitch about everyone, and try to make some decent music again.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

I am pissed! I know that's ridiculous. The Stern show reaches millions of people ... and I hate that the "dummies" now think Pearl Jam is derivative. I love the show ... and Howard, but he has an agenda when it comes to Eddie/PJ because he/they have rejected any interest on being guests. Sadly, Billy (who is very talented) has become more wrestler than musician.

My first reaction is "No way".

Howard loves Rock & Roll and is absolutely fascinated by the life style and creative process of a musician. His interviews of rock legends this year have been awesome. He is very in tune with the early 90's having interviewed CC, Courtney, Dave Grohl, and Billy so many times. Natalie Maines is a friggin super fan!

That being said, there is definitely a part of Howard that is probably pissed that PJ has a Sirius/XM channel and has never been on the show. And you know what, I agree with him.

Dare I say it... I think the band should make an appearance on the show to market to a different audience. Maybe show a lighter side to themselves that many people don't see.

It's kind of a slap in the face to Sirius to shows like Fallon while skipping over Howard.
    9.29.96, 8.28.98, 9.1.00, 7.5.03, 9.30.05, 6.1.06, 6.19.08, 6.20.08, 6.24.08, 10.27.09, 10.28.09, 10.30.09, 5.20.10, 9.3.11, 9.4.11, 9.2.12, 7.19.13...

2013- Brooklyn2, Philly1, Philly2, NOLA
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,698
    I don't think Ed will be losing a wink of sleep over this.

one of these guys continues to be immensely popular around the globe, the other is living off his past .....Thought SP had some solid records early on, but somewhere along the way they went to shit. That probably stings a touch.
  • Options
    I heard him on Sixx Sense (Nikki 6's radio show) last night. He said he will never work with a permanent line up anymore because he cannot negotiate the music with other people....meaning, it's his way or no way. He also mentioned that he cannot relate to people who have not achieved the same success as him!!

don't quote me on the exact words bu that was the theme.

Douche!
  • Options
    OzzieOzzie Posts: 230
    Shame. Used to love the Pumpkins, but, have to say, not really been interested in them since the 'farewell' tour of 2000 (or 2001?). The revolving door in and out of that band doesn't impress me either.
    Isle of Wight, 23rd June 2012
    Brooklyn, 18th October 2013
    Memphis, 14th October 2014
    Krakow, 3rd July 2018
    London, 8th July 2022
  • Options
    why does anyone care about what bill has to say about anything
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,031
    my2hands said:

who is Billy Corgan? lol

Uncle Fester
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,887
    The more I read about things he has said in recent days the more convinced I become that he has suffered or is suffering some sort of mental breakdown. Either that or he is a total attention whore. Look for a "rehab" stint soon.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,441
    edited December 2014
    “No. I’m a person who does a lot better with praise. My father thinks that all the bad childhood and the adversity toughened up his Piscean son. He’s fantastic now, and that’s been great.

“But as I like to tell my daddy, if I’d been loved right, with the gifts that I had, I might have been a classical composer, having a very quiet life and a glass of wine, and not have been in this dirty pop business.” ~ Billy Corgan

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/smashing-pumpkins-billy-corgan-interview-hanging-on-in-this-dirty-pop-business-9905267.html
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    he talks shit about fellow musicians every single time he has a record coming out. it's his own perverted way of promoting himself. the guy talks shit about his contemporaries, yet the drummer on this album is Tommy Lee, a guy who was in a mysoginistic hairspray and makeup band his entire life.
    I usually like BC's music, but man, as a human being, as far as the media side, he's the biggest douche this side of Gene Simmons.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Dude sounds like a 5 year old girl when he sings. I never understood how people were into Smashing Pumpkins. To each their own I guess. But I never liked them. In fact, this is the first time I've heard Billy Corgan mentioned in like over a decade.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited December 2014
    JimmyV said:

This is nothing new. Corgan has publicly stated this for years. To stir the pot a little too, Cobain was openly critical of PJ and Vedder too.

Its funny because I really do believe that had Cobain not committed suicide today he would have a career similar to Corgan's. The music wouldn't be remembered as being legendary - some of it would still be considered good, but it wouldn't have the iconic stature it does today. Gotta believe Dave would have left for bigger things. Cobain would have been left with a band similar in stature to the Smashing Pumpkins. Every time Corgan opens his mouth with one of these controversial/publicity seeking statements I think of Cobain.

Couldn't disagree more on your stance about Nirvana. Smells Like Teen Spirit solidified their legend. Is the Cobain legend heightened by his demise? Of course, as it is with every other muscian that's died young. Let's not dismiss the impact Nirvana had. This coming from someone that's not a big fan of them.

Billy is just drumming up headlines so a few more people will give his new music a listen. Worse things have happened before. I could see where he harbors some bitterness. For some reason the Pumpkins' music hasn't gotten the regard it deserves. Guy shot for the stars, with alot of big ideas and bombast, and delivered on a good portion of it. Truly one of the most original bands the crack the mainstream in the 90s.

I don't necessarily think time has been that great to PJ's legacy. They're held in decent regard, but it hasn't came without some luck. It's easy to blow PJ's current relevance out of proportion when you spend alot of time here.

Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    Howard has always been a big Pearl Jam fan.

The Stern Wrap Up show plays Pearl Jam pretty much every episode to go to commercial. May be due to Steve Brandano's fanaticism of Pearl Jam actually.

Billy Corgan said some smack about Vedder in the press before this interview. Odds are the ones who research guests before the show found the interview and Howard wanted to dive into the subject.

No one can blame Howard for Corgan's idiotic statements. Billy Corgan is the one who hates Pearl Jam. Stern has always been a big fan, despite the fact that they have never done his show.

He has stated that Pearl Jam offered to do the show back in the 90s without Eddie Vedder, but without Eddie, he really wasn't interested.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,455
    DewieCox said:

JimmyV said:

This is nothing new. Corgan has publicly stated this for years. To stir the pot a little too, Cobain was openly critical of PJ and Vedder too.

Its funny because I really do believe that had Cobain not committed suicide today he would have a career similar to Corgan's. The music wouldn't be remembered as being legendary - some of it would still be considered good, but it wouldn't have the iconic stature it does today. Gotta believe Dave would have left for bigger things. Cobain would have been left with a band similar in stature to the Smashing Pumpkins. Every time Corgan opens his mouth with one of these controversial/publicity seeking statements I think of Cobain.

Couldn't disagree more on your stance about Nirvana. Smells Like Teen Spirit solidified their legend. Is the Cobain legend heightened by his demise? Of course, as it is with every other muscian that's died young. Let's not dismiss the impact Nirvana had. This coming from someone that's not a big fan of them.

Billy is just drumming up headlines so a few more people will give his new music a listen. Worse things have happened before. I could see where he harbors some bitterness. For some reason the Pumpkins' music hasn't gotten the regard it deserves. Guy shot for the stars, with alot of big ideas and bombast, and delivered on a good portion of it. Truly one of the most original bands the crack the mainstream in the 90s.

I don't necessarily think time has been that great to PJ's legacy. They're held in decent regard, but it hasn't came without some luck. It's easy to blow PJ's current relevance out of proportion when you spend alot of time here.

How has time not been that great to PJ and what luck have they received? IMO Their legacy is top notch in the music industry not the publics as the general public doesn't understand the band and what they stand for. We do naturally blow their relevance out of proportion on this board because it is deserving of it. IMHO of course.
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,439
    Billy's trying to start a West coast East coast rivalry
    Grow up, Billy.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    TJ25487 said:

How has time not been that great to PJ and what luck have they received? IMO Their legacy is top notch in the music industry not the publics as the general public doesn't understand the band and what they stand for. We do naturally blow their relevance out of proportion on this board because it is deserving of it. IMHO of course.

True, they do have quite a bit of respect in the industry, but I think the general public is equally important. The fact is they've not aged well to the majority of music fans and that includes people that are into similar music.

They've made alot of their own luck, but I could see where things could've turned out differently. Stuff like keeping virtually the same lineup and having a very devoted fanbase is incredibly lucky and has had a major impact on alot of the decisions they've made through the years.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Do some of you read what you write before you hit 'post'?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I agree with the comments about Cobain's legacy, and what it would be had he lived. obviously, no one will ever know for sure, but the legacy left by the 27 Club is obviously driven by the "what if...?" factor of them dying so young. Corgan or Vedder or Cornell would have been hyped up the same as Cobain had they died at that same age. Sure, Smells Like Teen Spirit took the musical world by storm, but if you were to turn that situation on its head, and Ed had died and Cobain had lived, Pearl Jam would probably have been considered to have ushered in the grunge movement. it's all media BS and people lapping it up.
    Corgan/SP won't ever have the same stature of PJ or SG or Nirvana because, while many respect his ability to write a good song, people see him as a whiney bitch. Seriously, the guy quit music and broke up his band only because he could no longer compete with pop music. That's the lamest bullshit I've ever heard. In essense, he was complaining about not being popular enough.
    So he created another band that sounded exactly the same. Then he fired them after one album. Then he begged his bandmates to come back to him in a newspaper ad. Then he fired his drummer again and is the lone original member and then fired two more people and hired Tommy Lee and is now feuding with Anderson Cooper.
    it's no wonder the guy has an love/hate relationship with Courtney Love. he IS her, without the atrocious plastic surgery.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    and SP isn't even a band. it's a one man show with hired guns. that becomes a running joke of itself, like GNR.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,439

Here's ny thing with Corgan. The dude made a few great cds in the 90s and is no doubt a musical genius. But he took a page right out of Axel roses playbook and fired his whole band (or they quit cuz they hated him.) He's tried to form SP under a new band and to be honest, it is fucking horrible. Even his songs from the 90's, when they're good they're good. But the bad song are aweful. Purely unlistenable.

Fuck corgan. He's a douche bag.

Out of curiosity, what makes him a musical genius?
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options

Do some of you read what you write before you hit 'post'?

+1
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    It's about the music. I don't really care what Ed or Billy think. What I care about is the musical buzz I get from both bands music and glad both made it to my ears.

Do love some Siamese Dream.

Now with that said :D , saw Billy at show and crowd not into it. Billy suggested some pj to sing along and crowd cheered. Ha.

And come on Ed really is into himself and has changed. :D:D
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 582
    For those of you wanting to hear Billy in his own words, here's the interview...
    http://diffuser.fm/billy-corgan-howard-stern-show-2014/
    The Pearl Jam/Eddie stuff starts around 8 minutes.
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,559
    I think I like a total of 2 SP songs. He seems like a bitch.

As others have said I think Howard is a big pj fan and would love to have them in.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.