Options

Vitalogy: original or remaster?

BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, Arizona Posts: 466
I'm the proud new owner of a near mint original vinyl. I was curious if people prefer the original or the new remaster? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Original
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,147
    Congrats. Definitely the original.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Yep. 2 Lps was unnecessary
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Sweet. Thanks! I haven't spun it yet, but looking forward to it!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    Original. I spun the reissue once and only once. Never again.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    PJ_Soul said:

Was it the annoyance of having to change records or did they really mess the sound up on the reissue? I used to spin the original like crazy many years ago.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    OP
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    edited December 2014

PJ_Soul said:

Was it the annoyance of having to change records or did they really mess the sound up on the reissue? I used to spin the original like crazy many years ago.
    The annoyance of the two discs had a lot to with it for sure, but it doesn't sound as good either. It isn't disastrously bad or anything though. Just noticeably not as good as the original. The reissue is a bit more muffled and the volume isn't quite right (so basically about the same sound quality as Lightning Bolt) - that's what my ears told me, anyway.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    It is interesting that there are so many PJ vinyl collectors, yet SO many of them don't like the quality of sound on PJ vinyl

Viva la cd!!! lol
  • Options
    my2hands said:

It is interesting that there are so many PJ vinyl collectors, yet SO many of them don't like the quality of sound on PJ vinyl

Viva la cd!!! lol

I like the quality of most of the PJ albums a lot. LB isn't great, same with BS, but I think all the other originals sound really good. I have seen others complain, but I can only trust my own ears.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

The annoyance of the two discs had a lot to with it for sure, but it doesn't sound as good either. It isn't disastrously bad or anything though. Just noticeably not as good as the original. The reissue is a bit more muffled and the volume isn't quite right (so basically about the same sound quality as Lightning Bolt) - that's what my ears told me, anyway.
    I take it you didn't like lightning bolt sound wise on vinyl?
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

No I don't. I have to crank it way up for it to even be truly listenable. Otherwise it's quiet and has a pretty dull sound to it.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

No I don't. I have to crank it way up for it to even be truly listenable. Otherwise it's quiet and has a pretty dull sound to it.
    Right on. I thought it was pretty good but then again my subwoofer gave out before I got it so I really didn't get a full experience. Good to know.
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    Original, not only for the sound, but I'm sick and tired of changing records every three or four songs
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    my2hands said:

Viva la cd!!! lol

Preach brother! Strictly speaking as a child of the 90's......
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,909
    I own only the reissue and the need to constantly change sides and records is a problem.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Haven't a chance to spin it yet-looking forward to it!
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,141
    I find it easier to grab my original vinyl because I store my vinyl in boxes. In order to get my remaster vinyl, I have to open the box of records it's in, pull out the vs/vitalogy boxset and dig it out. It's one less step for me to get the original out since it's not in a boxset.

I did recently buy a Digital Audio Player (FiiO X3) that does HD audio. The Vitalogy remaster was/is available on hdtracks, so I've got that on my player... sound pretty good.. but I haven't really compared it to the original on that player yet so maybe it wasn't worth it.... maybe it was...
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Are the VS and Vitalogy remaster just as bad as the Ten remaster?? The loudness war is a terrible thing
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,300
    JimmyV said:

I own only the reissue and the need to constantly change sides and records is a problem.

In theory having Vitalogy on 2 records should increase the sound quality a bit. Having a 56 minute album smushed onto one LP can take away a bit. That being said, the mastering on the new one is worse, so its a bit of a trade off. I do enjoy wading through the extra materials every now and then while listening to the new version, although that happens like once a year.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options

Are the VS and Vitalogy remaster just as bad as the Ten remaster?? The loudness war is a terrible thing

I think the Vs. reissue sounds okay. One out of three sucks, but it's better than nothing.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,189
    after TEN I never even bothered to buy the reissued Vs. and Vitalogy

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    I really need to get the original Ten and Vs. Those are the only non-originals that I have, and I wish that weren't the case..... ugh. More money. Lol.