Starting My Pearl Jam Vinyl Collection....Any Advice?

Comments

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    PJ_Soul said:

Collecting is an emotional thing. I don't think any advice you'll read here will be useful in the end, because if you become an actual vinyl collector you will go with your gut/heart/obsession, not logic. Some people are telling you get a second job, and others are telling you not to buy original pressings because it's too expensive... but if your heart is in it and your tastes and passion for the collection pull you to original pressings or tell you that you need an official release NOW, or soon, not years from now or whenever the thing is reissued, then you won't mind selectively spending hundreds of dollars on a record, because you will feel it's worth every penny (this is the kind of collector I am personally... unfortunately, lol). Or you might find that you are not so emotional or compulsive about it to be willing to pour all that money into it, and you can live with waiting for reissues, or even buy illegal bootlegs (not that I personally recommend that!). It all depends on you and how your collector brain is wired, no matter what other people's advise is! :)

so true.....

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Start selling your semen.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414

Start selling your semen.

That would only get me a discount on the Mother Love Bone 45!!
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,578
    edited December 2014
    Budget in one Record a month, in a year you will have them all, and it takes time for what you want to pop up at a good price . Always buy any new PJ vinyl that comes out as it only increases in value and difficulty to find. If it says limited be quick. Once you are into PJ vinyl next you want to fill in your other band gaps. Soundgarden, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Incubus, Stone Temple Pilots all have had recent reissues. Get them before they start to increase in price.
    Post edited by PJammer4life on
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • epieepie Posts: 290
    Thanks everyone for the comments to date. This is really all great material (with good laughs along the way). Much appreciated.
    1996 - Columbia, MD & Augusta, ME
    2013 - Worcester, MA (Lightning Bolt Release)
    2016 - Fenway Park I and II
    2017 - HSCM (EV) Boston, MA
    2018 - Seattle I, Fenway Park I and II
    2021 - Ohana Festival (EV/EV/PJ)
    2022 - EV (Beacon Theater II & Newark)
    2023 - Austin, TX I & II
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited December 2014
    TinAnt said:

What do you want your collection to look like? The earlier you answer this question, the better off you will be. There are so many facets to collecting vinyl records, you have to be able to determine what exactly you want in your collection to be able to move forward in a successful way.

If you want it all mint and sealed, prepare to throw down some serious cash if you want one of everything. If you don't mind just having a good copy of each studio album, that is definitely doable and for not a bad price if you are patient.

My advise would be to generate a game plan and search/buy/hunt/trade for specific things. After a while, you will know better what belongs with you and what doesn't.

This is very good advice. Plan, be patient, be diligent.
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,507
    edited December 2014

Always buy any new PJ vinyl that comes out as it only increases in value and difficulty to find.

Unless its Backspacer.
    Post edited by iOnlyownMymind on
    edited December 2014
    Is MOV considered a bootleg? Was checking out Mother Love Bone 2 disc set but dont see MOV listed as a legitimate copy in discography.
    Post edited by epie on
    2023 - Austin, TX I & II
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited December 2014
    epie said:

Is MOV considered a bootleg? Was checking out Mother Love Bone 2 disc set but dont see MOV listed as a legitimate copy in discovraphy.

No, MOV would be an official reissue. Check for all releases on discogs.com. The MOV version would be listed there.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    MLB MOV reissue sounds amazing
    www.cluthelee.com
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    epie said:

Is MOV considered a bootleg? Was checking out Mother Love Bone 2 disc set but dont see MOV listed as a legitimate copy in discography.

MOV is Music on Vinyl. They're a Dutch record pressing label, they are legit, and I've only ever heard praise about their pressings. I only have the Temple of the Dog re-issue, but it sounds great!
  • scott nowlandscott nowland Australia Posts: 247
    Create a wantlist on discogs of all the releases you want. That way you will get email notifications when new ones are posted and you can jump on them early. Like a few people have said it takes deep pockets but you can get lucky. Always consider buying a second copy if you see something at a good price. You could use it to trade on here and help someone else out too. I have all the offical pj us first editions and reissues as well as xmas singles but it took a long time.
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,339
    ^^ good advice right there. This is how I scored my No Code and Yield for a good price. I was still living in Germany back then and up late a lot because of my long distance relationship. One night, I was just about to go to bed at around 2 am, and bam - there it was. And I just acted :) Discogs is good to keep track of your collection as well. They have a tool where you can see what it's worth too. Good info, in case you need a record for an insurance case, for example.
    Thanks again everyone. I just received Vs. (remastered) and this was my first experience with PJ vinyl. I was blown away. I felt like I was sitting in the recording studio with the guys! :>
    2023 - Austin, TX I & II
  • epie said:

MOV is Music on Vinyl. They're a Dutch record pressing label, they are legit, and I've only ever heard praise about their pressings. I only have the Temple of the Dog re-issue, but it sounds great!
    Not if you ask Cedric of The Mars Volta...lol
  • TinAntTinAnt Posts: 343

epie said:

Not if you ask Cedric of The Mars Volta...lol
    He's just mad because he doesn't own his publishing rights.
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    You want advice?

HiLFIZ0.gif
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Check out this raffle: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/comment/5737848#Comment_5737848

You can win:
    - Fully signed Brad best friends LP
    - LO10L box set

Good luck
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Patience. If you rush in you'll drop a grand before you know it. In the meantime pick up some Pink Floyd, maybe a good copy of Dark Side or Wish You Were Hear, and listen to what all vinyl should sound like.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    eddiec wrote: »
    Patience. If you rush in you'll drop a grand before you know it. In the meantime pick up some Pink Floyd, maybe a good copy of Dark Side or Wish You Were Hear, and listen to what all vinyl should sound like.

Just don't get the most recent Floyd reissues.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    DewieCox wrote: »
    eddiec wrote: »

Just don't get the most recent Floyd reissues.

I hear the 30th DSOTM is much better than the 40th.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    edited January 2015
    Yes...it's absolutely amazing. Sounds like you're in the room.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    DewieCox wrote: »
    Yes...it's absolutely amazing. Sounds like your in the room.

Agreed!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    epie wrote: »
    TOTD repress: http://www.soundstagedirect.com/temple-of-the-dog-temple-of-the-dog-black-180-gram-vinyl-records.shtml<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    ok, so here is a rookie question. I looked this up on discogs and did not see MOV956BL listed? Can you educate me here as to why? I assume this is not a "bootleg". Thanks!

they did a purple limited press, then another in black- both legit
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    whatever you do, do it with dedication and passion. never do it half-assed
  • pljampljam Posts: 387
    Enjoy rice for about a decade
  • NanouNanou Posts: 191
    There are some good advices in this thread. Let me add my experience.
    1. I promised my husband to build up a collection of what he likes too, ie Pink Floyd/Eric Clapton.
    2. I go wih the cheapest first: ten club singles, sales (yes it happens), and used vinyls.
    Good luck! :rock_on:
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    pljam said:

Enjoy rice for about a decade

Yep.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Spoonman110Spoonman110 Winnipeg Posts: 346
    Quick question here regarding PJ vinyl. Why are the first pressings of Vs. and Vitology worth so much less than everything else in their catalog? Were they large pressings?

Fargo, ND 6/15/03 Winnipeg, MB 9/8/05 St Paul, MN 6/27/06 Chicago, IL 8/5/07 East Troy, WI 9/3/11, 9/4/11 Winnipeg, MB 9/17/11 Chicago, IL 7/19/13 St Paul, MN 10/19/14 Miami, FL 04/09/16 Tampa, FL 04/11/16 Fenway 1 & 2 08/05/16, 08/07/16Wrigley 1 & 2 08/18/18, 08/20/18Oakland 1 & 2 05/12/22, 05/13/22

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited June 2015

Quick question here regarding PJ vinyl. Why are the first pressings of Vs. and Vitology worth so much less than everything else in their catalog? Were they large pressings?

Yes... vinyl was still a viable product and pressed in mass until the late 90's... that's why most vinyl issued between roughly 98-08 is hard to find... they just simply pressed less because the vinyl demand collapsed
    Post edited by my2hands on