Options

Starting My Pearl Jam Vinyl Collection....Any Advice?

Comments

• Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Well, or marry a fellow fan hehe ...
  • Options
    epie said:

Hello Everyone,

I finally decided to jump into he world of vinyl and was looking for some advice as a newbie and wasn't to put together the PJ library for my listening enjoyment. I purchased what I could over Black Friday which was Lightning Bolt, Backspacer, Vitalogy, Vs, and Ten Redux. I noticed that it gets a little hairier for the rest of the catalog right now unless you have deep pockets. Any advice or strategies for a rookie. I am excited to join the world of vinyl as well as communicate with all of you. Thanks in advance!

Start saving
    2003: Melbourne 1
    2006: Verona, Vienna, Zagreb, Melbourne 1-2-3, Adelaide 1-2
    2009: Melbourne
    2010: Belfast
    2012: Werchter
    2014: Melbourne, Adelaide, EV Melb 1-2
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,538
    Ask yourself if you really do hear the difference between vinyl and CD. Don't get thousands of dollars into the obsession only to realize you really don't hear the difference or the difference isn't worth thousands of dollars to you.
  • Options
    spnoonespnoone Posts: 625

spnoone said:

into the wild for $35ish

the reissue, to be clear
    yes. and i assume all the cheap mirror balls i've been seeing are, too. if not boots.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,538

Save your money and wait for reissues.

This. It's only a matter of time now. Don't pay $200 for a No Code when you'll be able to get one next year for $24.99. (or $250 in the Super Deluxe No Code/Yield Box Set)
    I don't see any re-issues of any other albums in the near future.

Ten, VS., and Vitalogy were deemed failures by the label.....
    They don't have to be box sets. Lots of bands are re-issuing vinyl and I would think PJ has one of the more vinyl friendly fan bases out there.

Even if a reissue never comes, wait for the reissue (i.e., CD is fine).
  • Options

Well, or marry a fellow fan hehe ...

best advice i've seen yet! i mean, if marryin' is your thing, of course...
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    juddboz80juddboz80 Posts: 2,141
    spnoone said:

spnoone said:

into the wild for $35ish

the reissue, to be clear
    yes. and i assume all the cheap mirror balls i've been seeing are, too. if not boots.
    They had a repress of mirror all about a year ago, the 1st press goes for around $125-$150 if it's sealed $75 ish for opened and mint....Reissue goes for cheap....
    Cant buy what i want cause its free....
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    so, what do you have so far?
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    ignore the last post--just saw your 1st post.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 777
    Be patient...appreciate the ones you already have - spin them...frequent record stores even on vacations - you never know what gems may await. I create lists...what I have like an inventory and a ranked 'what I want' list. Know the going cost of your wishlist so that when you see a deal you can take it. Stay on budget - whatever you set it to be. Impluse buys are very easy and can rack up high costs. Be patient...neither Rome nor a good record collection was built in a day/week/month/...
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    buy low sell high...hehehe. its an expensive hobby be prepared
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options

Don't ever tell your wife or husband what you are doing.

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,706
    my advice - enjoy it....

and avoid ebay.
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,956
    edited December 2014
    My advice, don't be a completist. Be happy with the vinyl you have (and enjoy them!) not anxious about the ones you're missing. Without this, you'll go through some serious cash and you may never consider your collection complete anyway.
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Just be patient. Collect those over time. You see an offer in Lost Dogs that clicks and you have an item to trade the person wants or a price that is reasonable and you have the money. Box sets also may be in the future as well which is also a reason to take time. I doubt Benny, RVM, LD, and LO2L will be reissued though. I have been collecting for years and years and still dont have LD, Avocado, LO2L, Binaural, Yield, RVM, and a number of early 10C singles... No hurry. Acquired No Code 2 years ago, Riot Act this past year. I probably want to go for Lost Dogs in the next year or 2... All the peripheral stuff that comes out will keep you busy anyways (Brad, Tres Mts, McCready stuff, MLB/Shadow, etc)

In the meantime go to your local record store. Browse the used section. You can buy gems for $1.00 - $5. Really nice doubles can be had for <$20. Its $1. An opportunity to broaden your musical taste and wow guests. Collecting vinyl has broadened my musical horizons 10 fold. My current favorite thing to listen to on Vinyl: The Ohio Players. Used albums are great and have character. I feel like I'm obtaining some unknown 30-40 year history with each album. There are also people who hang out in the used section of record stores who chat music and its cool.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,189
    What everyone else said and.....
    make friends on the boards- lots of folks willing to trade or sell at decent prices.
    I have been buying vinyl since the early 90s and just now completed my PJ studio albums set.

I have accepted long ago that I will NEVER have all of their albums on vinyl-
    in particular "Benny" first pressing.
    it's just too expensive now.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    The AkkusThe Akkus Posts: 1,093
    My advice is always to read the fine print to verify that it is not a bootleg. Also, always look to Ebay before you buy from someone from these forums. Contrary to popular belief, I have found that 90% of the time, the people on these forums are way more infected with the Green Disease than any flipper on the market. Sad, but true.
    1998 - Noblesville * Knoxville
    2000 - Noblesville * Cincinnati * Columbus
    2003 - Lexington * East Troy * Noblesville* Columbus
    2006 - Cincinnati
    2008 - NYC night 1 * NYC night 2
    2009 - EV Solo Nashville
    2010 - Columbus * Noblesville * Cleveland
    2011 - East Troy night 1 * East Troy night 2
    2014 - Cincinnati
    2016 - Greenville * Lexington
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    epie said:

Hello Everyone,

I finally decided to jump into he world of vinyl and was looking for some advice as a newbie and wasn't to put together the PJ library for my listening enjoyment. I purchased what I could over Black Friday which was Lightning Bolt, Backspacer, Vitalogy, Vs, and Ten Redux. I noticed that it gets a little hairier for the rest of the catalog right now unless you have deep pockets. Any advice or strategies for a rookie. I am excited to join the world of vinyl as well as communicate with all of you. Thanks in advance!

Don't feel the need to keep up with the jones's, there are WAY too many completist snobs in the PJ world that think it is cool to blow their retirement on overpriced goods just because it is a pearl jam item, and vinyl is maybe the worst culprit... PJ vinyl is way over hyped and over valued... if you cannot buy it for face value then do not buy it

My binaural cd sounds just fine

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,189
    my2hands said:

epie said:

Hello Everyone,

Don't feel the need to keep up with the jones's, there are WAY too many completist snobs in the PJ world that think it is cool to blow their retirement on overpriced goods just because it is a pearl jam item, and vinyl is maybe the worst culprit... PJ vinyl is way over hyped and over valued... if you cannot buy it for face value then do not buy it

but have you ever heard the Binaural vinyl on.................................WEED???

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    edited December 2014
    MayDay10 said:

In the meantime go to your local record store. Browse the used section. You can buy gems for $1.00 - $5. Really nice doubles can be had for <$20. Its $1. An opportunity to broaden your musical taste and wow guests. Collecting vinyl has broadened my musical horizons 10 fold. My current favorite thing to listen to on Vinyl: The Ohio Players. Used albums are great and have character. I feel like I'm obtaining some unknown 30-40 year history with each album. There are also people who hang out in the used section of record stores who chat music and its cool.</p>

I had the exact same experience, even with the Ohio Players! Got my first album of theirs at a garage sale because the cover was intriguing (the one with the honey). Garage sales are great to dig out gems for little money. It is a very cool feeling to put something on the record player that might not have been spun for a long time. It gives you just an overall good feeling. And a lesson in music history :D
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • Options
    lolobugg said:

my2hands said:

epie said:

Hello Everyone,

but have you ever heard the Binaural vinyl on.................................WEED???
    I have heard every single pearl jam song on WEED, man.... lol

• Options
    Walking the milesWalking the miles Toronto Posts: 548
    my2hands said:

lolobugg said:

my2hands said:

epie said:

Hello Everyone,

I have heard every single pearl jam song on WEED, man.... lol

But you missed the word "vinyl"
    "Feel the path of everyday....which road you taking?"

Barrie, ON '98
    Toronto, ON '00/'03/'06/'09/'11/'16(x2)
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16
  • Options
    Pearl Jam fans are getting older, so I go to as many estate sales as I can.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited December 2014
    There have been people on here and on ebay selling their entire collections. Some of the vinyl at good prices and others a bit steep. Might have good chance getting some better deals with combined purchases and/or trades. Stock up one some hot rare stuff for trades... That's seems to be the popular thing. Buy stuff not because you really want it, buy for tradeability. I tend to just buy stuff I want, but whatever you want is your deal. Good luck getting your vinyl. Ask around for some of the rare stuff. Some of it is hard to find (I.e. Ten sampler, blue Vs, PJ20 GITD, EV ITW picture disc, PJ20 colored). You will never get those anywhere near cost. Keep your ears open for pop up shops in the future, and if you see pretty good prices on some LPs that you can afford to jump on, then might not want to wait on it. Doesn't seem like the older stuff goes on any sale. The newer released stuff gets too hyped up, so wait a little till prices come down. But best to get things when to drop in the store. :)>-

Check out the raffles done here for charity or to help with tragic events. Some generous people on here that donate stuff to these. Can get lucky with some occasional vinyl.

Don't get crazy and try to get every version of every single right away. Sooo many. Ask some major collectors like PDalowsky for advice if needed. He's a great dude and can help steer you from getting burned.

Good luck. Welcome to the jungle.
    Post edited by PP193448 on
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    chainchain Montreal Posts: 336
    This is something like: "Wish I had bought these".... Have VS/VITALOGY/NO CODE/YIELD/ LIVE ON TWO LEGS/LIGHTNING BOLT.... Has you can see i'm still far from having all the collection...
    You wont be dissapointed to start a vinyl collection... hmmm.... But if there is'nt a reissue it will cost a lot of $$$$!!!
    Toronto 96-09-21 / Montreal 98-08-20
    Barrie 98-08-22 / Montreal 00-10-04 / Montreal 03-06-29
    Montreal 05-09-15 / Quebec 05-09-20 / Montreal 11-09-07
    Worcester 13-10-15 / Denver 14-10-22 / Quebec 16-05-05
    Ottawa 16-05-08 / Ottawa 20-03-20 / Quebec 20-03-22
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989

Pearl Jam fans are getting older, so I go to as many estate sales as I can.

lol
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    PP193448 said:

Ask around for some of the rare stuff. Some of it is hard to find (I.e. Ten sampler, blue Vs, PJ20 GITD, EV ITW picture disc, PJ20 colored). You will never get those anywhere near cost.

My advice is to stay away from collector "completist" hyped up products like this... they all have the same exact songs and quality as the original version... who gives a shit what color the vinyl is... Johnny Guitar sucks on mp3, cd, black wax, and white wax (there is a white Backspacer the collectors cream over)... call me crazy but I prefer to pay $10 for a black backspacer then the $200+ the white version goes for.. but to each his own

• Options
    The records are sweet but do not justify the price, that being said I was in your boat about 2 years ago and when i found out the prices I was shocked. All I wanted was No Code from the lot of expensive ones. I got it as a present and well once you get one you sorta need them all. At this point I have all except for Riot Act and basically once you justify buying one record for 200$ the others seem to be less painful down the road. If I could give any advice it would be to stay away from the bootlegs out there as you are just purchasing a CD that is less user friendly to play, and use the lost dogs section to find your vinyls as they always offer the best prices i have seen anywhere. Good luck!
    I'll ride the wave...
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Wait for special shit like sevens to pop up here on the forum and then trade it for the vinyl you'll actually play. I've gotten the whole set except for LD LO2L RVM by trading posters and sevens and stuff. Trading is a lot easier on your wallet- just keep a lookout for what everyone's talking about and get it and trade it.

I personally don't spin 7" and 10" vinyl singles because they just don't do it for me, but tons of pj fans love them- so look out for special ones and trade em
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited December 2014
    Collecting is an emotional thing. I don't think any advice you'll read here will be useful in the end, because if you become an actual vinyl collector you will go with your gut/heart/obsession, not logic. Some people are telling you get a second job, and others are telling you not to buy original pressings because it's too expensive... but if your heart is in it and your tastes and passion for the collection pull you to original pressings or tell you that you need an official release NOW, or soon, not years from now or whenever the thing is reissued, then you won't mind selectively spending hundreds of dollars on a record, because you will feel it's worth every penny (this is the kind of collector I am personally... unfortunately, lol). Or you might find that you are not so emotional or compulsive about it to be willing to pour all that money into it, and you can live with waiting for reissues, or even buy illegal bootlegs (not that I personally recommend that!). It all depends on you and how your collector brain is wired, no matter what other people's advise is! :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata