Options

Overrated: Foo Fighters || Underrated: Danish Butter Cookies

mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,621
edited December 2014 in Other Music
Danish Butter Cookies - unbelievably delicious and one of my favorite parts of Christmas. After doing some puffing, they have a strong tractor beam pull similar to the Falcon being drawn by the Death Star. I can't stop gravitating to them or eating them. There is nothing negative to say about them.

Foo Fighters - I like the Foos. A lot. I think it's great that their popularity is peaking and a younger crowd is getting into a band that is part of my 90's generation. I think that is friggin' awesome. I've seen them several times, from the 930 Club in DC to Festivals, and in between. They never fail to play their greatest hits every time (that is a little bit of a dig). And Dave Grohl is pretty kick ass as a person.

However...... I think they have only produced one GREAT album and that is Wasting Light. Now I'm still getting into Sonic a little bit and I like it but I don't love it. Wasting Light hit me like a hammer and I still think it's great. But the other albums are a little hit and miss. Some great, accessible, poppy rock songs, and then some duds.
So I give a ton of credit to the Foos for still making good music and being together after all this time. And I'm really glad that there are some big 'Rock' bands popular today. Foos, Black Keys, Mumford, Jack White... awesome. I'm just saying as good and cool as they are, I think they are a bit overrated.

Agree/Disagree?

Comments

• Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    :-w Jeez, I actually thought Danish Butter Cookies was a band and was coming to read about what's so awesome about them! How about posting about a band you love, rather than knocking on a band that others love, even if it's just "a little bit"?
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    I like thier first two albums the best

Didn't much care for wasting light,
    was more like wasting time to me! Lol
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    I think I was pretty complimentary of FF in general. I'm just saying they are overrated right now. However Danish Butter Cookies would be a good band name.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    How did Colour and Shape not hit you? That record is a fucking sledgehammer.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    mrussel1 said:

I think I was pretty complimentary of FF in general. I'm just saying they are overrated right now. However Danish Butter Cookies would be a good band name.

Overrated is pretty uncomplimentary to me, and that's the whole point of your post. You are entitled to your opinion, though, so I'm going to step out of your thread, I just don't understand what the point of talking about the overratedness of a band is so of course I had to open my big mouth. Carry on.
  • Options
    Suziemay said:

mrussel1 said:

Overrated is pretty uncomplimentary to me, and that's the whole point of your post. You are entitled to your opinion, though, so I'm going to step out of your thread, I just don't understand what the point of talking about the overratedness of a band is so of course I had to open my big mouth. Carry on.
    Overrated doesn't equal bad. But they have the 'biggest band in the world' thing going on right now and I don't think they are quite in that elite league. Now granted, the playing field pretty slim right now so maybe that has something to do with it. I like the Foos. A lot. I said this earlier. But they always have, and continue to be a little poppy for my taste, but that's sort of the reason I liked Wasting Light so much. I thought it was much harder core.
    But I've always been critical of their short set lists and the fact that they play a very consistent set list. Quite different than PJ.
    Anyway, I kind of thought this might be incendiary as a post but I also thought there could be good discussion. Wasn't looking for a love fest. If y'all have a minute, check out this old Robot Chicken episode about the Foo Fighters. Classic Seth. But the FF song they play at the beginning perfectly captures the thing that has always got me on the Foos.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqrG6JXsPPw
  • Options

I like the Colour, but the lyrics just don't get to me like my favorite band.
  • Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,890
    mrussel1 said:

But I've always been critical of their short set lists and the fact that they play a very consistent set list. Quite different than PJ.

Not sure if you've seen them lately, but they're playing 3 hour shows regularly (and played 2.5 - 3 hours on the Wasting Light tour too), sometimes straight through without leaving the stage for an encore break like when I saw them 3 weeks ago at the Roxy in LA.
    Another cool thing they've done throughout the years even as they've gotten big is still playing small clubs, like they're doing now in each city for the weekly Sonic Highways episodes. A few months before they released Wasting Light, they played 5 club shows around LA over the course of a couple weeks, playing the album front to back to lead off the show and then playing an additional ~20 songs after that. Those shows were announced day of on twitter, $20 first come, first served at the venue. They've played all sorts of special "secret" or pop-up small capacity shows throughout the years, even doing a series of shows in fans' garages throughout the country for Wasting Light.
    Wish more big bands shook things up and did things like that once in a while. I think it sets the Foos apart in some cases by delivering something really special.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate
    Baby I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake
    Shake it off. Shake it off
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    I kind of agree about Sonic Highways. Its a good, but not great album. That being said I really like the band and hope to catch them on this tour. Had to sell my GA tickets to Boston a few years back and I guess they played for 3+ hours.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    I've seen them three times in the last two years
    Music Midtown in Sept '12 (night before PJ)
    930 Club in May
    The National in Sept

I enjoyed all the shows. And I'm going to see them this year tour in Camden and probably Fenway. I'm skipping the DC show as nothing sounds more miserable than a full GA show in July 4th DC heat. I do love that they are playing clubs.

The setlists are mixing a bit, but I haven't seen a 2.5 or 3 hour show yet, or anything that close.

Do you guys think that their albums are as complete, deep, thoughtful, poetic as PJ? For me, there's a huge gap between the two bands.
  • Options
    Foo Fighters, not the deepest band ever, but they are in it for all the right reasons, and they've got a few brilliant albums under their belt - The Colour And The Shape and Wasting Light are probably their best. I also think There's Nothing Left To Lose often gets over looked. Live, they are one of the most consistent bands I've seen - I've never seen a dud show in the fifteen or so years I'vee been to see them.

To me, they are the very best at what they do - to me it is pop rock, and nobody else is bringing it on the scale that they are.
  • Options
    marjenmarjen CT Posts: 794
    They are solid. The first record, and wasted life I like the best. I still like most of the others, sonic highways has some good moments and i loved the companion show. I think they are a good group of guys, Dave Grohl seems like a genuine nice guy who really enjoys what he does for a living. And they rock live. Got my tickets for Fenway.
  • Options
    The Color and the Shape is their best album for me. After that they've produced good albums with 2 or 3 great songs on each.
    Happy up here in my tree
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,270
    I don't really understand this post. You "like the Foos. A lot." but think they've only released one great album? If all of their other records " are a little hit and miss" then it sounds like you're more of a casual fan that likes their hits.

Also, I don't see how you can think it's great that they are popular, and awesome that a younger crowd is getting into them, and still think they are overrated. Surely that's a contradiction? It's like you're happy that they're popular, but you don't want them to be too popular.

The term 'overrated' is always going to be slightly incendiary as people will always have different personal opinions. I'm not trying to start anything here, I'm just trying to understand the post.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    mrussel1 said:

930 Club in May
    The National in Sept

I enjoyed all the shows. And I'm going to see them this year tour in Camden and probably Fenway. I'm skipping the DC show as nothing sounds more miserable than a full GA show in July 4th DC heat. I do love that they are playing clubs.

The setlists are mixing a bit, but I haven't seen a 2.5 or 3 hour show yet, or anything that close.

Do you guys think that their albums are as complete, deep, thoughtful, poetic as PJ? For me, there's a huge gap between the two bands.

I made it up to the National in Richmond.That show was 21/2 hr plus.It also was fucking great and the first U.S. small venue this cycle.
  • Options

This!!!!!!
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

mrussel1 said:

930 Club in May
    The National in Sept

I made it up to the National in Richmond.That show was 21/2 hr plus.It also was fucking great and the first U.S. small venue this cycle.
    I had it shorter than 2:30, but if it was 2:30 I stand corrected. For better or worse, I tend to drink far too many Star Hill Grateful Ales while at the Natty Nat. I'm sure the 930 show was shorter though. And that's a smaller venue than the National by about 300 people. Maybe that's not part of the cycle you referenced. IN fairness, that was a 'surprise show' that everyone knew was happening.
    They rocked and it was fun but by my count they played 15-16 of the same songs at the Nat that they played at the 930. Same with Music Midtown and I'm guessing that will continue. That's my key criticism. Active bands like PJ, DMB and Bruce are far better of going deep and changing up their sets. FF seems to change the order, but essentially plays the same songs. And it's not about supporting an album. It's 'greatest hits', kind of like seeing TP and the HB for the last 15 years (except for this last tour). They just played greatest hits over and over.

Feel free to crucify...
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    mrussel1 said:

rr165892 said:

mrussel1 said:

930 Club in May
    The National in Sept

I had it shorter than 2:30, but if it was 2:30 I stand corrected. For better or worse, I tend to drink far too many Star Hill Grateful Ales while at the Natty Nat. I'm sure the 930 show was shorter though. And that's a smaller venue than the National by about 300 people. Maybe that's not part of the cycle you referenced. IN fairness, that was a 'surprise show' that everyone knew was happening.
    They rocked and it was fun but by my count they played 15-16 of the same songs at the Nat that they played at the 930. Same with Music Midtown and I'm guessing that will continue. That's my key criticism. Active bands like PJ, DMB and Bruce are far better of going deep and changing up their sets. FF seems to change the order, but essentially plays the same songs. And it's not about supporting an album. It's 'greatest hits', kind of like seeing TP and the HB for the last 15 years (except for this last tour). They just played greatest hits over and over.

Feel free to crucify...
    I don't disagree with the setlist rotation.They are my favorite band so I'm a lil biased.But I would also like to hear some deeper/older cuts mixed in.Ya know like take fucking Cold day in the sun out and add in some treasures.Mix in Stacked Actors,Wheels,Next Year,Doa Some of those basement tape Demos from the Seattle SH episode.That kind of thing.
    We was standing right next to the steps to main lower level bar area on the railing ,right next to where the handicapped folks were seated.5 ft from the bar on the ladies bathroom side(Great Location and view line to stage)To left of soundboard looking at the stage.And I also was knee deep in adult beverages,so maybe my time is off a bit.But I thought I commented to my wife about the time of the show when we left.Not that it matters.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    I usually end up on the right side of the stage there, near where you can slip out to the smoking/puffing section under the roof. There is also a window to order beers outside too, which is awesome.
    Not to go totally off topic, but I LOVE the National. I live in Richmond and am fortunate that they tend to draw great acts (better than they should). It's a class place, with a cool staff (not dicks) , great beer and the sound is usually good. Outside of the Foos, in the last few years I've seen Weezer, Pumpkins, QOTSA, Jayne's Addiction, Alabama Shakes and other awesome acts there. Sounds like you are south of Richmond, but you should definitely get on their mail list if you aren't.
  • Options
    I'm in South Florida.I got in on that Crowdfunded show when only 800 bucks had been raised.I thought it was a great Idea.I guess it worked out just fine.Shit we made history.
    The people we met were great.Real deal and each one proud as shit with your city and its "scene".It couldn't have worked out better as I had planned on flying to ATL for Midtown Music that weekend,so we just added to the fun and changed up the flight a little.Hello Richmond.
    We have been known to travel for shows we want to see so I will sign up with the National and see what's in the future.great idea.
    It is very similar to House of Blues or A venue south of us in FT.Lauderdale called Club Revelution.similar in size and capacity.
    For the record I put on The Color and The Shape while lifting at the gym today and it really is a Great album.My poor Brain,Hey Johny Park,My Hero,Everlong,Monkey Wrench,Up in Arms.......damn solid,classic stuff
  • Options
    Glad you liked our little city. We were also lucky to get one of the better PJ shows recently, over in C'ville only an hour away. Just got a note today that Gaslight Anthem is coming to the Nat, so I'm excited for that.
    Thanks for being cool on this. I knew it was a little provocative. Next thread I start will be "Scott Stapp is more profound than EV because..." That'll be fun.
  • Options
    I was standing in line with some really cool locals.2 of the folks standing next to us were in a pretty popular local band.The name escapes me now but her last name was flood.I think it was a chick band with like 1 dude in the band.Do you know of this band?
  • Options
    Hmm. Carbon Leaf is kind of like the local band that's been around forever, but never quite made it out. But they are a bunch of dudes, no girls. Not sure who else it would be. Our other famous locals are GWAR and Dave Matthews, but pretty sure that's not them.
  • Options
    I remembered the name.The Voodoo Dolls.Im pretty sure that's it.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I love Danish Butter Cookies. They are the bestest cookies ever to cookie.

I like the Foo Fighters. Their songs are great for listening to on the subway.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,512
    edited December 2014
    I pretty much find the music of the Foo Fighters unlistenable. I basically hate it. And i have given it a real chance, since I figured if so many PJ fans like it so much I must be missing something. Well, maybe I am missing something still, because hearing FF feels a little like biting on tinfoil for me; unbearable. So yeah, I personally feel like they're exceedingly overrated, assuming that my own opinion supercedes everyone else's. :-\"
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I pretty much find the music of the Foo Fighters unlistenable. I basically hate it. And i have given it a real chance, since I figured if so many PJ fans like it so much I must be missing something. Well, maybe I am missing something still, because hearing FF feels a little like biting on tinfoil for me; unbearable. So yeah, I personally feel like they're exceedingly overrated, assuming that my own opinion supercedes everyone else's. :-\"

i'm old. i never really count any band out till i've seen them live. go in knowing the new release and some greatest hits and then determine. i saw the foos for the first time 3 years i would go again for sure. great band. fun up songs, just like good rock should be. FUN
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,512

PJ_Soul said:

i'm old. i never really count any band out till i've seen them live. go in knowing the new release and some greatest hits and then determine. i saw the foos for the first time 3 years i would go again for sure. great band. fun up songs, just like good rock should be. FUN
    I have no doubt the shows are fun. I have been to a lot of super fun shows of bands whose music i don't like. Great concerts, like raging parties, but they never once made me like the actual music more.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Nothing Left To Lose. Brilliant record & my personal favorite.
    www.cluthelee.com