2»

Comments

• Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    SD48277 said:

badbrains said:

Zod said:

juddboz80 said:

Good read, how is the documentary??? I haven't seen it yet, worth checking out?

Yah it's been really good. My favorite eps so far have been Chicago and Nashville. The Nashville one was really good.
    Fuck that! The DC show with the bad brains was the BEST! Haha
    Agreed, but I am definitely looking forward to Seattle and NY. I know they were limited to a certain amount of cities due to time constraints and song constraints for the album, but I am surprised Detroit and Boston did not make the list.
    did Memphis make it?
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    cdysinge said:

mwplum said:

Even as a Canadian, it was cool having him as a president to the south in the 90's...after that, there were some dark times for 8 years in the US afterwards, it just was not fun to travel to the US. Whether or not you like Obama, things have gotten much better (from an outsider's perspective) over the past 6 years (it's actually gone the opposite way for us up here as we have an idiot on par with W. running our country now).

...Having just done Memphis-SF...watching republican ads, seeing how the midterm elections went, and checking out the general political climate, I'm actually quite scared about the post 2016 period for the US....I get the feeling that another period of dark times are ahead...

I really hope not. My hope is people elect Hillary just to get her and Bill back into the white house. Bring back the 90's!
    Yes, please.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242

SD48277 said:

badbrains said:

Zod said:

juddboz80 said:

Yah it's been really good. My favorite eps so far have been Chicago and Nashville. The Nashville one was really good.
    Agreed, but I am definitely looking forward to Seattle and NY. I know they were limited to a certain amount of cities due to time constraints and song constraints for the album, but I am surprised Detroit and Boston did not make the list.
    did Memphis make it?
    No, they chose Nashville. The run of cities is: Chicago, DC, Nashville, Los Angeles, Austin, New Orleans, Seattle, and New York.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    SD48277 said:

SD48277 said:

badbrains said:

Zod said:

juddboz80 said:

did Memphis make it?
    No, they chose Nashville. The run of cities is: Chicago, DC, Nashville, Los Angeles, Austin, New Orleans, Seattle, and New York.
    I've been to 4 out of the 8 cities. Need to make it to Seattle and New Orleans one of these days. Would like to visit Nashville as well.
  • Options
    well oddly Memphis has had much more music come from there than many of those cities, but whatever the only one I thought was odd was DC. And Seattle is awesome, unless you are a conservative Republican, then in that case my condolences
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

well oddly Memphis has had much more music come from there than many of those cities, but whatever the only one I thought was odd was DC. And Seattle is awesome, unless you are a conservative Republican, then in that case my condolences

He chose DC cuz he's from DC. And I loved that episode. Too bad HR was absent.
  • Options
    badbrains said:

SD48277 said:

SD48277 said:

badbrains said:

Zod said:

juddboz80 said:

did Memphis make it?
    I've been to 4 out of the 8 cities. Need to make it to Seattle and New Orleans one of these days. Would like to visit Nashville as well.
    You have to go to Seattle and New Orleans. Both are great in different ways (gotta love NOLA and their to-go cups, not to mention the freakin' awesome food). I haven't been back to New Orleans since Katrina, but I want to go back. The only city on the list I haven't been to is Nashville. One of these days.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    Has anyone else been bored with FF for the last ten years?
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options

yes I have, lol
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    The new Seattle episode is pretty interesting. Lots of old footage I've never seen before.
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,460

yes I have, lol
    No, because I don't listen to them. Hahaha!
    I would like to see this series though. I have just recently been to Nashville and New Orleans for the first time and they are bucket list places for sure, especially for the music.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I've been to Austin, Nashville, and NOLA.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    I understand Detroit is a city with a huge music history but for those saying they were surprised Boston was left off I ask why? I am not digging on Boston but honestly curious as I can't think of any specific music style or bands that came out of Boston.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810

I understand Detroit is a city with a huge music history but for those saying they were surprised Boston was left off I ask why? I am not digging on Boston but honestly curious as I can't think of any specific music style or bands that came out of Boston.

Aerosmith baby!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Lmao! And Boston of course! =))

new kids on the block =))
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    and Boston obviously, More Than A Feeling
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited December 2014
    Aerosmith, Pixies, Geils, The Cars. There's a lot of good Boston bands.
    Sonic Highways season 2, perhaps.
    I wouldn't hold your breath cause the FF are touring all of 2015. I think the next set of songs they record is gonna be strictly on his Neve 8020, that Sound City recording board that he put in this home studio.
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    SD48277 said:

SD48277 said:

badbrains said:

Zod said:

juddboz80 said:

did Memphis make it?
    I've been to six of those. all great cities. can't believe I haven't made it to Austin yet. LA will prob never happen for me. :(

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539

Aerosmith, Pixies, Geils, The Cars. There's a lot of good Boston bands.
    Sonic Highways season 2, perhaps.
    I wouldn't hold your breath cause the FF are touring all of 2015. I think the next set of songs they record is gonna be strictly on his Neve 8020, that Sound City recording board that he put in this home studio.

Thanks, I figured there were. I just have never heard Boston named when discussing famous music towns or being a town that launched a new sound like Chicago (blues), NOLA (jazz), Seattle (grunge), etc...
  • Options
    lolobugg said:

SD48277 said:

SD48277 said:

badbrains said:

Zod said:

juddboz80 said:

did Memphis make it?
    I've been to six of those. all great cities. can't believe I haven't made it to Austin yet. LA will prob never happen for me. :(
    Never say never, lolo...there is always a possibility.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    SD48277 said:

lolobugg said:

SD48277 said:

SD48277 said:

badbrains said:

Zod said:

juddboz80 said:

did Memphis make it?
    Never say never, lolo...there is always a possibility.
    :)>- thanks, susan
    love your optimistic nature.
    gotta try more of that. :D

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073

Thanks, I figured there were. I just have never heard Boston named when discussing famous music towns or being a town that launched a new sound like Chicago (blues), NOLA (jazz), Seattle (grunge), etc...

I believe this is what the show is about. Not about what bands came out of the cities but rather the sound and inspiration for what bands came from the area. It's a very educational show and not to mention very cool. I've learned a lot about the specific cities even though I've been to: LA, NOLA, Seattle, Nashville and obviously Chicago. All great cities and each historically unique. I want to visit Austin bad! New York and DC, maybe someday but not in a hurry.
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited December 2014
    There isn't much of a recording scene in Boston, I don't think. Most of those bands recorded outside the confines of the Hub, although J.Geils Band did record a few of their records in MA. Aerosmith only recorded the first album there. The Cars, just Shake it Up, but I love that record.

I get it, Dave was inspired in his travels and used phrases from the episodes in the songs for each city, but I found a a majority of the songs on Sonic Highways (LA and NOLA for sure...) to be sort of, i don't know, cliched. They were certainly LOUD enough, and I cant even tell you how amazing Taylor's reaction to Joe Walsh was. It's a better tv show than a record.
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018