Options

What an asshole: MLB vinyl on eBay

2»

Comments

• Options
    EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057
    I don't think the 10c does anything to intentionally promote flipping. It seems to me they've just decided not to worry about it. They make things exclusve that they want to be exclusive, without letting the existence of the secondary market dictate or influence those decisions. I think that's a good thing. The alternate to that would be to make everything open edition, which is kind of boring, or price exclusive items much higher, which hurts the people who want to buy an item to keep it.
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    The funny thing is that if it wasn't for collectors/flippers none of this useless shit would be made in the first place because there wouldn't be enough demand for it! I mean I buy this stuff too so not calling anyone out about it, but in the end it's pretty low on the list of importance in the grand scheme.

That said, while it is certainly anyone's prerogative to have an opinion and comment about it, it is also other people's prerogative to comment on said opinion if they disagree. The cliche of all cliches but it's true: free speech doesn't protect you from being called out for your opinion it just protects your ability to voice it.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited November 2014
    Yeah, I'm totally on board with the circular opinion argument too, lol. I definitely would never say people shouldn't post something... I'm just saying i don't think there's a good reason to jump down the OP's throat about it. Not that they can't or should shut up. ;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul all I am saying is that while there may or may not be a "good reason" to jump on OP, the same could be said of OP jumping on Ebay/Lost Dogs seller, etc, etc, as both are nothing more than unsolicited opinions. (And it has gotten to the point where every vinyl thread in lost dogs has someone's unsolicited opinion).

Anyway, there are so so so many posts about this topic every time something goes up for sale and people miss out and I just think it has gotten to the point where others are naturally going to start reacting.

Sort of off topic but people toss around the entitled word around here an awful lot and all these complaining threads are starting to sound a bit like the whole entitled thing. It's like sorry you missed out, but what someone else does quite frankly is none of your business and you were not entitled to get anything (the "you" and "your" being the hypothetical complainer not you PJ_Soul).
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    That's true. I personally think that ebayers have every right to sell their shit, and if it weren't for the fans who buy this stuff in wouodn't happen. I just also kind of get the irritation felt about it, especially if you really wanted the item but it was sold out (it wasn't hard to get the MLB single though, was it? I don't know because i don't even want it).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Agreed, I do understand the irritation as well. Not sure about the MLB single either as like you I had no desire to own it as it definitely would have been a dust collector for me.
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Hopefully the MB single is the way 10c does this now. Post ahead of time when it will be dropped and then make enough to keep it exclusive/somewhat rare but not to the point where it sells out while people are still trying to get through the payment screens. I passed on the MB single also as it just didn't look like something I would enjoy but did check and was happy to see it was still available 30 minutes after it hit the shop. Anyone who really wanted it had a window to get it that was very reasonable. There were also plenty in stores for those that couldnt go the 10c route.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,709
    glad I was able to sit this one out, it looked like a nervy sale, with a lot of anxiety and frustration followed by a mountain of them in record stores......I guess a few people made good money capitalising on the rush to grab one after it sold out here not realising how many there would be.

I don't understand the desire for this one, but theres clearly a shit ton of folk who do. MLB are one of those bands that I would never have got past the first three tracks if there wasn't a PJ link.