Options

Dear Nugs - Label your Digital Files!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited November 2014
    100%? No, not for me anyway. I used to think that, but I've got hundreds of shitty sounding low bit rate mp3s with no dynamic range and zero shitty sounding FLACs or lossless WMAs for that matter. For me...Lo bit rate files are immediately noticeable to me phoned BUT not so much when they're properly amped up and speakered up in the living room, especially the louder they're played. The eq is always off.

I'm running the files through pretty decent phones on my work machine and I have a 96/24 sound card which I run optical cable through the home stereo system in the living room.

Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    edited November 2014

100%? No, not for me anyway. I used to think that, but I've got hundreds of shitty sounding low bit rate mp3s with no dynamic range and zero shitty sounding FLACs or lossless WMAs for that matter. For me...Lo bit rate files are immediately noticeable to me phoned BUT not so much when they're properly amped up and speakered up in the living room, especially the louder they're played. The eq is always off.

I'm running the files through pretty decent phones on my work machine and I have a 96/24 sound card which I run optical cable through the home stereo system in the living room.

Yeah I hear you. I interpreted that you were listening through computer speakers. Headphones are a different matter altogether. My experience is that when you get really shitty mp3s, it's likely either the rip or it's an old recording. I only buy FLAC or FLAC HD files and have for years (HD is obviously a little new tech). My point is more around people who are just listening to music in their ipod on apple phones or their computer speakers. I don't think they could really tell the difference.
    I stream to skip my soundcard as that's my failure point. I don't have a Xonar or Claro to keep the data HQ so I stream to a DAC -> Pioneer Elite SC -> DefTech 8060 ST. I can certainly tell the difference there.
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    edited November 2014
    sorry, this was dup.

Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

demetrios said:

Nice to see others still rocking Winamp with the classic skin.

I've been using WinAmp since '99 & strong. It plays everything I through at it. Never changed the skin. It's always been classic.
    Haven't you noticed that it doesn't find tags anymore? It wasn't as of six months ago, so I moved to JRiver because of it.

That's understandable. But does JRiver really whip the llama's ass? Doubt it.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    JTH said:

ponytd said:

I got the STL show and it was labeled digitally. Although, the labeling was different on CD1 than it was on CD2 and 3, which I just don't understand, but it was labeled

it wasn't labeled. Most likely, you were the beneficiary of someone else's hard work. They labeled the tracks and then the information was uploaded to Gracenote.
    Isn't it always like that when ripping CDs? The track information/tags come from a central database (be it iTunes, Gracenote, FreeDB, whatever). And in many cases it stores whatever someone who was first had uploaded to it. I'm not aware that this information is/can be stored on redbook CDs.
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    Hey Shep,
    I am frustrated as well. I buy CD's for the shows I attended. In the future, I'll probably just do the digital download.
  • Options
    mylomylo Posts: 35
    My Pitt 2013 cds don't digitally list the tracks. I keep them in my car and its super annoying when I want to jump around listening to different songs.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    mrussel1 said:

.....so I stream to a DAC -> Pioneer Elite SC -> DefTech 8060 ST. I can certainly tell the difference there.
    I run a Pioneer DV-37 Elite DVD player as my disc reader...I love that machine.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018