Options

Dear Nugs - Label your Digital Files!!

shepshep Houston Posts: 5,647

My reply to Nugs is below. I am just flagging this in case others shared my frustration and would like to bring this to the attention of people who run PJ merch (i.e. Santos) that for a $17 CD, i expect a little more effort from Nugs.

Dear "Nugs",

I am a little frustrated with your service.

I have ordered 2 of these bootlegs from you in the past few weeks - when I have gone to rip the bootlegs into my computer I find that all the digital information is not imprinted on the tracks. You have just burned tracks to a CD labelled "Track 01", "Track 02", etc.

At $17 for a CD that probably costs you about $6-7 to produce and ship to me, I expect a little more effort. Label the tracks and the CD digitally please! This is just pure laziness. Every time I import one of these CD's, it takes me (and most likely everyone else) ~15-20 minutes to correctly label everything. If you spent 15 minutes doing this before you wrote the files to the CD, everyone you sent it to wouldn't have to waste this time.

If this doesn't change by the next CD I purchase from you, I will be switching to just just purchasing the digital downloads from Pearl Jam directly. For $17 for a CD, you should not be wasting this much of my time.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Andrew

To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 10:08:41 -0800
Subject: Your order has been shipped!

Dear Andrew Sheppard,

Thank you for your order! We wanted to let you know that your order (#######) was shipped via USPS, USPS First Class Mail on 11/13/2014. You can track your package at any time using the link below.

Shipped To:
Andrew Sheppard
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Track Your Shipment: ######################

This shipment includes the following items:

Item # Description Qty
6431-CD PEARL JAM AUSTIN 10/12/2014 BOOTLEG CD 1

Thank you for your business!

nugs.net
Email: orders@nugs.net
Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.

Comments

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    Wow.
    that is pretty sorry that they don't take the time to encode simple track info.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    Yep. This is really annoying.
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,847
    Think you answered your own concern, just buy the digital, and if you need a cd just burn one, and save yourself some money.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,847
    a5pj said:

Think you answered your own concern, just buy the digital, and if you need a cd just burn one, and save yourself some money.

I also agree that having a cd is nice, and more effort should be put in for 17$. I've got a bunch of them too.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    dpharesdphares Maryland Posts: 118
    Had the same issue on the two boots I've ordered. Also they didn't list Eruption on the CD label for the Lincoln show.
  • Options
    ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    I got the STL show and it was labeled digitally. Although, the labeling was different on CD1 than it was on CD2 and 3, which I just don't understand, but it was labeled
  • Options
    I haven't bought a physical CD boot since the 2008 tour. Are they still CD-Rs? That's what turned me away from buying physical CDs of boots.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    I think they need to change their name to Nuggets instead. Or McNuggets.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,108
    I still like to buy the "cd's" from the show's I go to as a collector's thing (or maybe the odd legendary show). I agree it would be nice if they put they tagged the tracks so if you ripped them they would get named.

I have a freebie program called tagscanner that I used to tag tracks from time to time, but often the PJ live releases aren't in the database yet (it uses freedb.org and a few other ones).
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    ponytd said:

I got the STL show and it was labeled digitally. Although, the labeling was different on CD1 than it was on CD2 and 3, which I just don't understand, but it was labeled

it wasn't labeled. Most likely, you were the beneficiary of someone else's hard work. They labeled the tracks and then the information was uploaded to Gracenote.
  • Options
    yup...pain in the ass it is. super lazy. too bad pearl jam/10c doesn't fire people like this.
  • Options
    MT132914MT132914 Posts: 188
    pretty sure that for burnt cd's it always comes up track 1, track 2 etc. Whenever I burn a bootleg to cd I put in the track names and that is what happens, unless someone has already tagged theirs and uploaded the information. So the current boots are burnt, the only ones that were pressed in years where the 2013 box set.
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,647
    MT132914 said:

pretty sure that for burnt cd's it always comes up track 1, track 2 etc. Whenever I burn a bootleg to cd I put in the track names and that is what happens, unless someone has already tagged theirs and uploaded the information. So the current boots are burnt, the only ones that were pressed in years where the 2013 box set.

when you create a master file, you can digitally encode all the information you want (at least from what I remember the last time I burned a CD).

I like owning a copy of media I buy in a physical format... why I don't really know, but I just do.... however I just noticed this level of laziness from Nugs this year (I don't remember having the label the 2013 boots I bought). Anyway, it would suffice to say that if I order 1 more boot and this happens, I'm just going to quit buying them. Digital will have to do I suppose...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    It makes no sense that the CDs are being shipped out like that.

The NUGS digi-downloads (in this case it's Memphis HD FLAC) are labeled properly, but they had to be sorted manually into my version of Winamp.

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    edited November 2014

It makes no sense that the CDs are being shipped out like that.

The NUGS digi-downloads (in this case it's Memphis HD FLAC) are labeled properly, but they had to be sorted manually into my version of Winamp.

Yeah.
    The way they flag them is weird. It throws off the correct playing order whenever you try to put them into any player/or burn them to disc. I always have to delete the first few characters in order to get them to line up in the correct sequence. Glad I am not the only one who gets irritated with this. At least they encoded the artwork properly to transfer to my PONO.
    Post edited by lolobugg on

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Nice to see others still rocking Winamp with the classic skin.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617

I vote McNuggets.

Haven't burned the one that I have on hand from the last tour yet but I hate that shit when they are not labeled...or when each disc is labeled differently.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

This was the funniest thing I've seen today!!

Although...Nuggets Records in Boston is a great place to physically visit. Their website is hella weak but the owner of the store, Stuart is awesome.

• Options

:-bd
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628

:-bd
    Winamp was bought and it hasn't had any updates forever. I moved over to JRiver and really like it. Very well done.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,738

I've been using WinAmp since '99 & strong. It plays everything I through at it. Never changed the skin. It's always been classic.

• Options
    edited November 2014

I've been using WinAmp since '99 & strong. It plays everything I throw at it. Never changed the skin. It's always been classic.
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • Options
    demetrios said:

I've been using WinAmp since '99 & strong. It plays everything I through at it. Never changed the skin. It's always been classic.
    Haven't you noticed that it doesn't find tags anymore? It wasn't as of six months ago, so I moved to JRiver because of it.
    BTW - I have all the shows from 2000+ and I updated their database with my tags. I'd love to know if it actually worked. Took me forever to clean the tags and add the art.
  • Options
    ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    JTH said:

ponytd said:

it wasn't labeled. Most likely, you were the beneficiary of someone else's hard work. They labeled the tracks and then the information was uploaded to Gracenote.
    Good point. I didn't think of that.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

demetrios said:

I've been using WinAmp since '99 & strong. It plays everything I throw at it. Never changed the skin. It's always been classic.
    Haven't you noticed that it doesn't find tags anymore? It wasn't as of six months ago, so I moved to JRiver because of it.
    BTW - I have all the shows from 2000+ and I updated their database with my tags. I'd love to know if it actually worked. Took me forever to clean the tags and add the art.
    Can't remember but WinAmp's services with Gracenote CDDB was over a while now. I make my own with http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ but usually use dBpoweramp Music Converter and just add in the info myself, if there isn't any info that needs editing with.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Is anyone else having issues loading these CDs to iTunes? My Cincy cd bootleg is all out of order... Frustrating. Going to try to delete it then reload it.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    PP193448 said:

Is anyone else having issues loading these CDs to iTunes? My Cincy cd bootleg is all out of order... Frustrating. Going to try to delete it then reload it.

Yeah.
    I had to go in and delete the first few characters. then it made it start in order.
    off of the top of my head I think it started with something like d01t01_pendulum.... but I can't remember what came before that I deleted. Try that way in I Tunes and it should work. kind of a pain in the ass but it will look good with CD Text equipped play back units.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I use the free JRiver occasionally, I even use windows media player too, now that I have downloaded the FLAC plug in for WMP . For playback, I prefer Winamp, but I like to pull a whole "album" out of it's file folder and play it as opposed to having the whole "library" there to overwhelm me like it does in iTunes...I know where my files are, well except for that Hartford HD FLAC show from 2013....I also don't want WinAmp or any program for that matter making any decisions as far as naming the files or getting album art after the fact. iTunes and WMP have taken it upon themselves to upgrade my plain In Utero artwork to the SUPER DELUXE version. What's up with that?

My progression of CD rips went from MP3 VBR to MP3 320 (Real Jukebox!...) to WMA 9 lossless, (Windows Media Player and Adobe Audition). and now it's FLAC (Sony Sound Forge Pro 10). I also convert LPs and tapes to a hi bit rate FLAC now using Sony Sound Forge Pro 10.

I ripped a lot of stuff in the mid to late 2000s to WMA 9 lossless. All 3 players play 'em, and 99 times out of a hundred I can't tell the diff between FLAC-WMA or the MP3 320.

For the OP, it does suck when you're dealing with "Track 1", "Track 2"....luckily the names of those songs can easily be copied and pasted from a website that will have them all in order for you....

http://pearljam.com/setlists/1087/2014/22483/acl_festival
    Post edited by ikiT on
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    I have this vision of Nugs being some guy working out of his mom's basement writing CD-R's and printing out labels on a cheap label printer.
  • Options

I ripped a lot of stuff in the mid to late 2000s to WMA 9 lossless. All 3 players play 'em, and 99 times out of a hundred I can't tell the diff between FLAC-WMA or the MP3 320.

http://pearljam.com/setlists/1087/2014/22483/acl_festival

If you're listening to music through your computer then you won't be able to hear the difference between mp3 and flac 100% of the time. The difference only shows up if you are streaming through a high quality DAC->high quality amp > high quality speakers.
    I think a lot of people spend the money on FLAC but aren't using equipment that can represent the difference.