Options

Poster storage alternative?

iamloco724iamloco724 Brooklyn NY Posts: 1,441
I have one of those portfolio cases for my posters, but I think I want to look at alternate ways of storing my posters until I frame them

Is there any other products I can buy to store 20 and more posters, if possible something that will help in the flattening process

Comments

• Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    I use trifold foam board for the larger ones that do not fit into my portfolio.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Someone shipped a Cincy poster in fucking PVC pipe through me to a buyer in Canada. I kept the pipe and put my Klausen PJ20 in it. Pretty sure it won't get crushed. Unless The Hulk comes over & gets a hold of it.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Was wondering what the hell to do with my Detroit AP uncut. It just misses fitting into the portfolio by literally 2 to 3 mm.
  • Options
    Flat file, if you can swing it...you can typically find them on Craigslist used (if you live in a larger market)
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    edited November 2014
    Depending on how many posters you have and how many more you hope to add to your collection,
    you may want to consider buying a flat file!!
    I have one & LOVE it...plenty of storage space!!!

photo SDC12619_zpsae462773.jpg

Another board member found this link and was thinking about picking one of these up to store his posters:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Martha-Stewart-Living-42-in-W-Picket-Fence-Craft-Space-Three-Drawer-Flat-File-Cabinet-0463900400/203230354?cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-203230354&ci_sku=203230354&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969&gclid=COLj1-yP38ECFeHm7AodBioADg
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    derbydave said:

Depending on how many posters you have and how many more you hope to add to your collection,

Another board member found this link and was thinking about picking one of these up to store his posters:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Martha-Stewart-Living-42-in-W-Picket-Fence-Craft-Space-Three-Drawer-Flat-File-Cabinet-0463900400/203230354?cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-203230354&ci_sku=203230354&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969&gclid=COLj1-yP38ECFeHm7AodBioADg

That would be great but sadly do not currently have the space for it
  • Options

derbydave said:

That would be great but sadly do not currently have the space for it
    If space is an issue,
    then I'd say try using what Leeze mentioned...
    photo foamcore_zps08a94eaa.jpg

The tri-fold foam core display boards work nicely...
    and you can store them under your bed!!
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,431
    derbydave said:

Dave... Do you keep the posters inside anything or just pop them in the drawer?
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    scurtis said:

derbydave said:

Dave... Do you keep the posters inside anything or just pop them in the drawer?
    The drawers have a nice metal "paper stay" that holds all of the posters down and helps keep them flat:

photo 20141117_232153-1_zpsm2d3e4ma.jpg

I place a piece of craft paper between each poster...

photo 20141117_232120_zpsnofmdcf0.jpg

for some of the smaller posters,
    I even have the craft paper wrapped around the poster for added protection !!

photo 20141117_232056_zpss7rjmqis.jpg

• Options
    EddieshometownEddieshometown Evanston, IL Posts: 974
    How many posters can you fit in the trifold? Anyone have a picture of one with a poster(s) in it? Thx
    6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
    5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
    8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
    5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis
  • Options

How many posters can you fit in the trifold? Anyone have a picture of one with a poster(s) in it? Thx

I have one of these, but only use it to store my larger / oversized posters.
    Right now it has my Amsterdam / SIT, Milton Keynes / Klausen, Lincoln / Erickson & Tulsa / Ames Bros. posters in it.
    These are too big to fit safely in my flat file & they will only be there until I get them framed.
    You could probably fit 10 -15 posters in one of these, but if you have invested this much in posters & don't plan on having them framed...I'd think about buying one of the Presentation Portfolio with sleeves as they offer much better protection for your posters!!

• Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Amazing. Ask and you shall receive!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    if you fold them, you can fit more in a tight space. I like the long posters because you can fold them 3-4 times
  • Options
    GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,782
    Tell me about it, i have an uncut Hampton PJ Australia 06 print which is like the size of a single bed.

Was wondering what the hell to do with my Detroit AP uncut. It just misses fitting into the portfolio by literally 2 to 3 mm.
    "thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,426
    MayDay10 said:

if you fold them, you can fit more in a tight space. I like the long posters because you can fold them 3-4 times

Haha
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    MayDay10 said:

=))

• Options
    Another poster related question, i have some in my portfolio, but some have creases/dents in the back not the front, anyone know what this can be caused from, maybe im flattening them wrong or is it normal, it just seems to be the back
  • Options

Another poster related question, i have some in my portfolio, but some have creases/dents in the back not the front, anyone know what this can be caused from, maybe im flattening them wrong or is it normal, it just seems to be the back

Can you post some pictures of this problem your seeing??
    It could be that your posters got these small creases when they were rolled up and originally placed in the tubes.
    Not sure how this would happen in a portfolio...
    are the posters stored in sleeves in your portfolio??
    Would love to help but it's hard to tell without seeing what you're talking about!

• Options
    derbydave said:

It could be that your posters got these small creases when they were rolled up and originally placed in the tubes.
    Would love to help but it's hard to tell without seeing what you're talking about!
    Yeah they are in sleeves I will post pics sometime this week as I put it away for now, but will definitely post by the end of the week to show what I'm referring to

Thanks
  • Options

derbydave said:

Yeah they are in sleeves I will post pics sometime this week as I put it away for now, but will definitely post by the end of the week to show what I'm referring to

Thanks
    Since you're storing them in sleeves...
    I'm betting these creases happened when they were rolled up & put in the tubes.
    I'll look forward to seeing your pictures & hope we can help you figure this out!!
    :-bd

• Options
    BRAIN0FJAYBRAIN0FJAY Charleston, WV Posts: 989

Someone shipped a Cincy poster in fucking PVC pipe through me to a buyer in Canada. I kept the pipe and put my Klausen PJ20 in it. Pretty sure it won't get crushed. Unless The Hulk comes over & gets a hold of it.

That may have been me... After the bullshit I went thru with a UPS claim...and working for a company that sells pipe...and having a UPS shipping center on site...it just made sense. I'm guessing the Cincinnati poster made it safe and sound.
    ...So much talk it makes no sense at all...
  • Options

That may have been me... After the bullshit I went thru with a UPS claim...and working for a company that sells pipe...and having a UPS shipping center on site...it just made sense. I'm guessing the Cincinnati poster made it safe and sound.
    :-bd
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,867
    for all you long term storage people, invest in some acid free paper to put the prints between. The newsprint and brown craft paper is some of the most acidic paper out there and it will make your prints yellow faster. The poster guys use it because it is way cheaper for the quantities they buy it in. Printing on acid free paper means shit if you store it between two pieces of acidic paper. Think of how yellow old newspapers get....they are transferring all that acid to your 100 plus dollar prints. Same thing with mat boards,
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143

I seriously thought I'd recieved plans for the Death Star! Haha!! One HELL of a packing job - had to repack it for Steve though. Would have cost quite a bit to ship with the weight.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    hrd2imgn said:

for all you long term storage people, invest in some acid free paper to put the prints between. The newsprint and brown craft paper is some of the most acidic paper out there and it will make your prints yellow faster. The poster guys use it because it is way cheaper for the quantities they buy it in. Printing on acid free paper means shit if you store it between two pieces of acidic paper. Think of how yellow old newspapers get....they are transferring all that acid to your 100 plus dollar prints. Same thing with mat boards,

I texted this exact information to Derby Dave just the other day. Good information! Never assume that the wrapping material that they use is acid free, even if it is from the artist. Treat your art well!
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    deadendp said:

hrd2imgn said:

I texted this exact information to Derby Dave just the other day. Good information! Never assume that the wrapping material that they use is acid free, even if it is from the artist. Treat your art well!
    YES you did & I really appreciate the heads up!!!
    I knew to use acid-free matte & backing boards,
    but didn't know the craft paper should be acid-free as well!!
    Thanks so much for the info :-bd

• Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    Going to pick this up tomorrow - it is 5 feet by 5 feet! Can't wait to pretty it up! Thinking glossy black and silver!

imagephoto imagejpg1_zps0aed907d.jpg" />
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• Options
    NICE SCORE LeeAnn!!!
    You're gonna love having a flat file...
    but be VERY CAREFUL,
    because now that storage is no longer an issue...
    that poster addiction can REALLY take off!!

=))

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    derbydave said:

NICE SCORE LeeAnn!!!
    but be VERY CAREFUL,

=))

Dave knows nothing about poster addiction. ;)
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    deadendp said:

derbydave said:

NICE SCORE LeeAnn!!!
    but be VERY CAREFUL,

=))

Dave knows nothing about poster addiction. ;)
    =))

Oh, I KNOW! We have discussed building a poster museum, because we have both run out of wall space!
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1