Options

How to report unauthorized Pearl Jam records to the band, or label?

PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
Hey, I'm sick of seeing EU bootleg copies of PJ albums popping up across the web. How can we report these and have them removed? I have emailed 10c several times, Sony, and Amazon. No one seems to care and the sellers still have these items listed for absurd amounts. Thoughts?
Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 

Comments

• Options
    Thoughts...y worry about some people who produce high amounts of bootlegs, and pearl jam just happen to in that group, when they're are people on here profiting large amounts from making mugs, clothes, everything.
    You gonna worry bout them too? Drop a dime on them?
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734
    edited November 2014

I'm sure they are all well aware of it. Bootleg plants have gotten raided in the past, but like anything else "illegal" they always find ways to bring their goods to the market.
    Because there is always a demand.....
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    I'll be buying a turntable very soon, and will be buying many PJ albums. When buying off ebay or amazon, how do you know when one is fake or real?
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Rules for PJ vinyl......

If its expensive and sounds kind of crappy its probably fake

If its reallllly expensive and sounds kind of crappy its probably real
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    It really doesn't bother me at all. If anything I hope it motivates the band/record label to reissue some of the albums
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,873
    who cares if there's bootlegged copies out there? why not just press some more vinyl for each album instead of paying hundreds of dollars? problem solved.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143

Thoughts...y worry about some people who produce high amounts of bootlegs, and pearl jam just happen to in that group, when they're are people on here profiting large amounts from making mugs, clothes, everything.
    You gonna worry bout them too? Drop a dime on them?

Copyright laws are hardly broken on this board man.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Reproducing the bands music and selling it for a profit is illegal here in the US. Maybe not in other places. Comparing people who buy merch and flip it to someone who is breaking the law is a stretch. Deplorable maybe? Irritating? Sure, but not fucking illegal. Rant over.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    What exact outcome are you expecting? Do you seriously think someone's time and effort is worth " policing" a random internet auction? I simply do not understand what and how you are seeking resolution.
    ...just got a fresh bottle.
  • Options

What exact outcome are you expecting? Do you seriously think someone's time and effort is worth " policing" a random internet auction? I simply do not understand what and how you are seeking resolution.

Egggggzaktly
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
  • Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    edited November 2014
    Thank you everyone for all of you help. I'd be pissed if someone spent a ton of money buying me a bogus version of an album I loved because it was listed on a reputable companies website.

No Code bootleg shows up on the first page searching for Pearl Jam vinyl,
    http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Jam-x200E-Code-Unofficial/dp/B00OSF8JE2/ref=sr_1_9?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1416196338&sr=1-9&keywords=pearl+jam+vinyl

Hopefully they'll pull this. Amazon has a strict policy against counterfeit goods, I just cant imagine why no one has had this pulled yet. It just appeared within the last month or so.
    Post edited by PSUS2H on
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
    Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 890
    Pretty much every record store I walk into sells bootleg records, and yes I buy them fully aware what I'm buying, it's not like they are fooling anyone.
  • Options
    i see the argument, because to the untrained... they are, in fact, fooling everyone. but to compare copyright infringement to flippers? not so sure i wanna go that route. bootleg recordings have been around FOREVER. not going anywhere either. sucks some dude has some shit that makes some shit that PJ and Sony wish not to share... but hard for me to blast him for trying to make a buck when it's still legal where he's at.
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    Best way to defeat bootlegging = produce more of the real item.

See Pearl Jam's decisions to sell bootlegs of concerts.

For whatever the reason the band (more likely band management) has decided they don't want to make more vinyls, hence there will be a bootleg market. It may not be legal, just, right, etc, but it just is and nothing else but repressing will stop it.
  • Options
    ckravitz said:

For whatever the reason the band (more likely band management) has decided they don't want to make more vinyls, hence there will be a bootleg market. It may not be legal, just, right, etc, but it just is and nothing else but repressing will stop it.

Another way to defeat the bootleggers is very simple...

Don't buy them...

• Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668

ckravitz said:

Don't buy them...

No doubt, but the OP seems concerned about the actions of others so I would hope he's already exercised the don't buy option.
  • Options
    ckravitz said:

ckravitz said:

Don't buy them...

No doubt, but the OP seems concerned about the actions of others so I would hope he's already exercised the don't buy option.
    I hear that.

I remember buying CD boots of concerts and stopped buying them because they weren't silver pressed. I wasn't paying $40 for something they made on their laptop. I also thought that the boots I was buying at the time were imports. What the hell did I know?
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,141
    What good is it going to do? Bootlegs are most likely created in countries where they aren't illegal.

PJ is sort of promoting bootlegs, because people turn to the black market when they can't buy a good legally. The best way to combat bootlegs is to officially release them (which PJ understands because they're the band who started releasing their own show's on cd so people would stop selling overprice crappy bootlegs).
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited November 2014
    Hopefully repeated complaints will eventually cause the band to do something. I mean, the band countered bootleggers in the past by making (almost) all of their shows available officially. Their reason was eliminating expensive, poor quality cds. Of course a little profit is involved but, I think the same logic could apply here.

Edit - I should have read the post directly above mine! #-o
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on