Options

Pearl Jam Shirts, Not for You?

vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
edited November 2014 in The Porch
So I own probably close to ten Pearl Jam t-shirts that I've gotten for one reason another over the years. About half came from the Mystery Boxes sold earlier this year. I normally wear a men's medium. Of course, shirts always very in size depending on the manufacturer, but in general, when i buy shirts from any retailer, a medium fits most of the time.

Not the case with PJ shirts. My experience has been that medium will be just a bit too small and a large a bit too big. I also feel like the material has no 'give' to it and so it does not stretch to contour to an individual's body. The material also seems brittle and stuffy compared to other store bought t-shirts I own. So while I love the design of most of the PJ shirts I own, I just can't wear them or justify buying any more.

My input would be for the Ten Club to give this some more thought. Perhaps find a shirt manufacturer that understands the fit aspect of shirt designs a little better than the ones they are currently using?

Does anyone else have a similar experience?
Post edited by vaggar99 on

Comments

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I buy a men's small and have no problem. I wouldn't even dare try women's sizes. I would think that a women's medium would work, but it's all over the place in the general market. I wouldn't be willing to risk it.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
    I concur. The material sucks and does not lay nicely over the body. I have another thread about this and encourage the ten club to give us more organic cotton/hemp options. For $35 it should at least be a high grade cotton that is nice and soft like you find with junkfood t-shirts.
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    I have no idea how to fix it (maybe it is shirt quality but I dont profess to know much on that subject) but I have upward of 80 PJ shirts and when I wash them they dont go in the dryer because it shrinks them. I also go back and forth between Medium being small on me and Large being big. Some fit like a glove that are Large or Medium. I usually go with Large and they fit OK but hang a bit long.

If I put them in the dryer Large becomes Medium with most PJ shirts so I learned ago to hang them to dry but sometimes one makes its way into my wife's laundry or my nephew's and then it gets chucked into the dryer...shrink time!

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    deadendp said:

I buy a men's small and have no problem. I wouldn't even dare try women's sizes. I would think that a women's medium would work, but it's all over the place in the general market. I wouldn't be willing to risk it.

I bought my wife a medium woman's shirt in Cincy and she laughed when I gave it to her. (I would rather guess too small for her than too big...I know she wouldn't like that!)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    For a band somewhat known for looking out for their fan's dollars, that obviously doesn't apply to t-shirts. I saw PJ twice in this past tour, and also saw a couple Garth Brooks shows. Garth sells his t-shirts for $20 and they are far better quality. Ticket prices were close though - slightly cheaper for Garth. Both are great on that front.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    Sarava said:

For a band somewhat known for looking out for their fan's dollars, that obviously doesn't apply to t-shirts. I saw PJ twice in this past tour, and also saw a couple Garth Brooks shows. Garth sells his t-shirts for $20 and they are far better quality. Ticket prices were close though - slightly cheaper for Garth. Both are great on that front.

Yeah, $35 is expensive for sure.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,503
    same for me..large big-medium small..thats about the shirts on the shop..the large tour shirts are fit perfect for me..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    Every one of my pj shirts has shrunk to the point that they've become belly shirts. I end up giving them to my wife.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    mcgruff10 said:

Every one of my pj shirts has shrunk to the point that they've become belly shirts. I end up giving them to my wife.

Never heard the term "belly shirt" before...
    BUT I know exactly what you meant!!!
    =))
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    edited November 2014
    i've got some Old Navy shirts that I paid about $7 for and that are over 12 years old. They still fit fine.

at $35, PJ shirts are among the most expensive tshirts i own. so yeah, its really frustrating that they turn into this one-time wear item and then just end up taking up valuable space in my closet.
    Post edited by vaggar99 on
  • Options
    Tour shirts are probably the only item that PJ sells where I feel it is a rip off. They could charge $150 for tickets and I would pay it, but the shirt prices seem like they are trying to maximize their dollars from us.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    I've found that pearl jam shirts are inconsisent. Manufactur's are often different, which causes all sorts of differents in size and quality. It would be nice if one day there was a conference and people sat down and agreed to the dimensions on XL, L, M shirts.. lol...

I tend to like the thicker shirts, but it's nice to have some of the thin ones for summer. At gorge '05 I remember buying a beige shirts which was thicker and fit great, and a green one which was also XL but didn't fit.. two different manufactuers at the same gig.. lol
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,465
    I had a ladies XL that I gave to my 6 year old niece. She likes it.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,026
    derbydave said:

mcgruff10 said:

=))
    As demonstrated by The Ramones
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,503
    imalive said:

I had a ladies XL that I gave to my 6 year old niece. She likes it.

=))
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    mrk2 said:

derbydave said:

mcgruff10 said:

=))
    There you go, Dave. You can re-enact the picture with your RV travel peeps! Just make sure to post it here. =))
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    deadendp said:

mrk2 said:

derbydave said:

mcgruff10 said:

=))
    There you go, Dave. You can re-enact the picture with your RV travel peeps! Just make sure to post it here. =))
    That will NOT be happening...
    I wouldn't dream of wearing a "belly shirt",
    there's way too much BELLY here!!!
    =))
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    Usually an XL is perfect for me, but I've noticed the sizing for PJ shirts are all over the place. I recently got an EV postcard shirt (XL) and it was huge. It fit more like a XXL. This tour, I bought the red mountain shirt. Ended up buying a L, which fits like an XL. It's very odd.
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Agreed with the remarks on consistency. Also really disappointed to see that the amazing PJ Detroit show shirt hasn't been washing well. I've heard and seen pics of the shirt after only a single wash--half of the back number gets very faded. Not cool! Makes me wary to wear the shirt cause then I have to wash it and I don't wanna ruin it.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    samjam said:

Agreed with the remarks on consistency. Also really disappointed to see that the amazing PJ Detroit show shirt hasn't been washing well. I've heard and seen pics of the shirt after only a single wash--half of the back number gets very faded. Not cool! Makes me wary to wear the shirt cause then I have to wash it and I don't wanna ruin it.

Definitely let it air dry. Not sure if those people ran through the dryer. Most hold up but there have been quite a few over the years that haven't held up to long.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    ironically all my Pearl Jam bootleg shirts are better quality than the official ones
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283

samjam said:

Definitely let it air dry. Not sure if those people ran through the dryer. Most hold up but there have been quite a few over the years that haven't held up to long.
    Yep, for sure! After ruining one too many shirts, I just live by the rule that if I don't sleep in it, I just let it air dry haha. But I have heard of problems just putting it through the wash. Hopefully that is actually not the case, though!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    deadendp said:

mrk2 said:

derbydave said:

mcgruff10 said:

=))
    Hey Ho, Let's.............NO!!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lolobugg said:

deadendp said:

mrk2 said:

derbydave said:

mcgruff10 said:

=))
    Hey Ho, Let's.............NO!!!!
    =)) :-bd