Options

Why doesn't PJ release shows from Jack Irons period?

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

How so?

I find their repeated talk about Matt's consistency points to something the felt they lacked prior to his arrival.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    NewJPage said:

arq said:

CharlieP said:

Loyalty to Matt?

That's the reason.
    Don't think so. They've released like 5-6 dave A shows and they don't even like him. Jack shows are coming
    Ditto. Jack shows are def coming. Especially tied to upcoming No Code and Yield reissues.
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    edited November 2014
    mcgruff10 said:

arq said:

CharlieP said:

Loyalty to Matt?

That's the reason.
    Orpheum boot? Vault 1?
    Live In NYC 12/31/92 ?
    PJ20 Soundtrack ?
    2010 Christmas single ?
    Post edited by broloco on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,833
    rgambs said:

How so?

I find their repeated talk about Matt's consistency points to something the felt they lacked prior to his arrival.
    They ve said numerous times jack saved the band when they were recording no code. No way he lacked anything. If he wasn't depressed I think he d still be the drummer.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,825
    Jack was part of a government plot which was working with the Cuban government to break this band up back in the 90s. There is a specific time period the band has to wait until they can release any music Jack played. The next newsletter should shed more light on this topic. :D
  • Options
    jason_94jason_94 Toledo, OH Posts: 1,872
    lolobugg said:

we NEED some NA 96 boots with Jack. Those were some very underrated shows.

Yes, I agree.

I especially like the '96 Toronto boot. The audience recorded boot I have isn't bad. I still listen to it every so often. Very underrated !
    3/22/94 Cleveland, OH
    9/21/96 Toronto, ON
    8/26/98 Cleveland, OH
    5/09/10 Cleveland, OH
    9/03/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    9/04/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    7/19/13 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 Buffalo, NY
    12/06/13 Seattle, WA
    10/16/14 Detroit, MI
    10/17/14 Moline, IL
    8/20/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Jack, Jack
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

How so?

They ve said numerous times jack saved the band when they were recording no code. No way he lacked anything. If he wasn't depressed I think he d still be the drummer.
    I think he is an amazing drummer, particularly in the studio, but it isn't easy to anchor a band like Pearl Jam night after night consistently and Jack left for that reason. I think he could still be the drummer and they would still be kicking fucking ass! They are elite musicians, the differences between them are pretty tiny... They both rock and I wish I had seen Jack live but I was too late to the game.
  • Options
    cropdustdaircropdustdair Lakewood, CO / Earth Posts: 2,006
    Zod said:

PJ doesn't release alot of stuff pre-2000. Theres the vault #1, the dissident set, live on 2 legs, vault #3, .. that's about it.... there probably isn't anything because they haven't release a whole lot from the pre-bootleg era. Jack drummer on the tail end of the vitalogy tour, the fairly small no code tour, and the Aussie leg of the Yield tour.. I guess overall it's not a large chunk of shows... we'll probably get something eventually. I'm a big fan of the melbourne '98 boot that circulates out there.

Jack didn't just drum on the tail end of the Vitalogy tour. He was the drummer for the ENTIRE Vitalogy tour.
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,299
    Zod said:

PJ doesn't release alot of stuff pre-2000. Theres the vault #1, the dissident set, live on 2 legs, vault #3, .. that's about it.... .

plus NYE 92, Drop in the Park, unplugged, Orpheum, PJ20 soundtrack. More on the way I'm sure.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

How so?

I think he is an amazing drummer, particularly in the studio, but it isn't easy to anchor a band like Pearl Jam night after night consistently and Jack left for that reason. I think he could still be the drummer and they would still be kicking fucking ass! They are elite musicians, the differences between them are pretty tiny... They both rock and I wish I had seen Jack live but I was too late to the game.
    He left because of untreated Bipolar Disorder. He revealed this in the PJ20 book. He anchored them just fine up until 98'
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

How so?

He left because of untreated Bipolar Disorder. He revealed this in the PJ20 book. He anchored them just fine up until 98'
    Yeah continual mania like that must have been the worst. Touring had to make it unbearable. I would love to have seen In My Tree in his era..what an experience it would have been!
  • Options

Wish I saw them with Jack Irons, Yield & NC are hands down my favorite albums.
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    Jack was on the Dissident set? Thought that was Dave.
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    pjradio said:

That was Dave. Jack played the bridge shows that year.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    edited November 2014

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

How so?

yep. the grueling asia/australia tour, followed by the obscure non-ticketmaster locations tour just beat him down and not many knew about this condition then. the guy was such an incredible talent. only got to see him live once, in '96, but for any jack irons era pearl jam videos i watch on youtube, i can't take my eyes off him.

i get matt is mr. consistency and probably the best fit for the band at the time, but he isn't nearly as interesting to watch as jack was.
  • Options
    EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057

Frustrated with Jack ? no way , the man has so much groove in hi's playing ...i saw them with him at least 4 times never noticed the band getting upset with his drumming

I don't think Jack and groove go together. He held it down but I found his playing to be stiffer than with any other PJ drummer. That said, I still think we'll get some shows with him when they do the next reissue(s).

The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,292
    edited November 2014
    they will sooner or later
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    96 Toronto was amazing. the candelabras on stage . group huddle before it started on stage. was completely hooked after that. buffalo 96 was a great show as well. ed traded his t shirt for a guys neil young rust never sleeps tour t shirt . very cool. have the tape somewhere.
  • Options

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

How so?

A great drummer for sure, but he didn't have the stamina to play the length of shows that PJ were pushing towards. You can hear it on some of the boots around that time, on the faster songs - he didn't have that rapid-fire drumming down in the way that Matt or Dave A do. I'm not saying Matt or Dave were better, Jack had other strengths, but he was not a powerhouse drummer.

• Options
    DW183354DW183354 NYC Posts: 125
    narnia said:

I was at the MSG show in '98 and I've never been able to find a really good copy of it. But I've heard what must be a SB recording on PJ Radio, so I'd really love to have that boot!

best show ever. i was there and i would listen to that constantly if it ever is released.
  • Options
    calvo17calvo17 Posts: 440
    edited November 2014
    mcgruff10 said:

pjradio said:

I just realized there was a box set called Dissident. I looked it up on Amazon and found reviews of it from 1998 :-O When was it originally released??? I always thought LO2L was the first official live recording ever.
    If I knew where it was, I would take you there.
    11/20/11 San Jose, Costa Rica
    10/18/13 Brooklyn 1
    10/19/13 Brooklyn 2
    10/21/13 Philly 1
    10/22/13 Philly 2 (BREATH!!)
    10/25/13 Hartford
    10/22/14 Denver (BREATH!!!)
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    calvo17 said:

mcgruff10 said:

pjradio said:

I just realized there was a box set called Dissident. I looked it up on Amazon and found reviews of it from 1998 :-O When was it originally released??? I always thought LO2L was the first official live recording ever.
    Pretty sure it was released sometime in 94 or early 95. Love that set!!!!
  • Options
    I've got a killer digipack of all 3 discs. I carried those discs around for years.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    I'd still by them. The band, especially Ed sounded great in the Jack era. But sweet baby Jesus the clunky and sloppy drumming with all fade -ins rather than attacks was just like a chalkboard scratching sound.
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,935
    mcgruff10 said:

arq said:

CharlieP said:

Loyalty to Matt?

That's the reason.
    Orpheum boot? Vault 1?
    Yeah, it's hard to find a show from that long ago with Matt...
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,697
    edited November 2014
    mcgruff10 said:

calvo17 said:

mcgruff10 said:

pjradio said:

I thought it was around June '95. Was kinda odd having to purchase the Dissident - Live in Atlanta gatefold digipak case to also having to purchase disc 2 & 3 which were sold separately to complete the set. CD1 was over 25 bucks. CD 2 & CD 3 were around 19 bucks a pop, Canadian. Not sure why they did that & not sell Dissident - Live In Atlanta with all 3 CD's included in the triple digipak. Lazy Sony! :p I remembered picking up all 3 discs at Sam The Record Man here @ Mic Mac Mall. Good times! :)
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,177
    demetrios said:

mcgruff10 said:

calvo17 said:

mcgruff10 said:

pjradio said:

I thought it was around June '95. Was kinda odd having to purchase the Dissident - Live in Atlanta gatefold digipak case to also having to purchase disc 2 & 3 which were sold separately to complete the set. CD1 was over 25 bucks. CD 2 & CD 3 were around 19 bucks a pop, Canadian. Not sure why they did that & not sell Dissident - Live In Atlanta with all 3 CD's included in the triple digipak. Lazy Sony! :p I remembered picking up all 3 discs at Sam The Record Man here @ Mic Mac Mall. Good times! :)
    question for ya,
    Is it the full show that they broadcast on Easter Sunday or has it been edited?
    dialogue missing, etc.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,697
    edited November 2014
    lolobugg said:

demetrios said:

mcgruff10 said:

calvo17 said:

mcgruff10 said:

pjradio said:

question for ya,
    dialogue missing, etc.
    It's been edited. Whipping, Betterman, Satan's Bed & Sonic Reducer were not included in this official Sony Dissident .. Live in Atlanta release.

There's many sweet pre-FM recordings out there. And a Sony Australian promo CD that includes the complete show unedited.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,177
    edited November 2014
    demetrios said:

lolobugg said:

demetrios said:

mcgruff10 said:

calvo17 said:

mcgruff10 said:

pjradio said:

question for ya,
    dialogue missing, etc.
    It's been edited. Whipping, Betterman, Satan's Bed & Sonic Reducer were not included in this official Sony Dissident .. Live in Atlanta release.

There's many sweet pre-FM recordings out there. And a Sony Australian promo CD that includes the complete show unedited.
    thanks. I have always wondered about that. those songs weren't even released in studio versions at that time and I guess they said f paying royalties on a cover song. my my how things have changed for the better.
    I still have my cassettes that I recorded off the radio during the live broadcast :))

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2